Backpack as day pack and sleeping bag vs quilt

BDRam16

WKR
It took me a long time to get used to a tighter sleeping bag. (side sleeper and turn side to side thru the night) Now when I turn I grab the bag by the top of the bottom zipper with my top arm and turn the whole bag with me...that way the zipper is always easily accessible. Works for me and I had serious claustrophobia issues years ago when I started using bags. I slept in a bag every night for a long while with the heat off and sometimes the windows open to make it colder until I resolved that issue.
I’m always surprised to hear people turn inside their bag instead of turning with the bag. I am also a side sleeper that turns a lot, but I actually thoroughly enjoy being squished in a mummy bag. Similar to using a weighted blanket now I suppose.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I typically take out my SG 5900 as my day pack. The downside of having a bigger bag, is you'll end up carrying your SO's stuff on day trips. I like to run a bladder as I end up drinking an adequate amount of water when it's right next to my mouth.

As for quilts, I run a 0deg EE revelation. EE is liberal on their temperature ratings.
With my down jacket and pants I was plenty warm using it into the single digits. A high R value sleeping pad is needed for quilts.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Kifaru frame with a Muskeg 5000 pack. It compresses down into a day pack fine. I'll usually just put the stuff I want to access quickly in one of the pockets attached. Doesn't feel like you're carrying anything. Having the full belt to stick pockets on is nice. I drop a 3L bladder in the bladder pouch. Not a whole lot of noticeable noise. You're probably going to make more noise stomping around than anything else regardless of pack.

If I'm backpacking into the high country 100% using a bag. Probably overkill but getting caught out once in weather I wasn't prepared for, and luckily being able to pack up quick enough to get to the truck taught a quick lesson. I'd rather carry the weight and know I have the stuff I need in case the high country decides to high country. "You can always take off but you can't put on what you don't have".

I have a Kifaru 20 degree slick bag and their standard size for me (5'11 185) has enough room to not be constricted and roll around a bit or just roll with the bag as mentioned above. Make sure to pair any bag\quilt with a pad with a decent R value. I used a cot without any insulation one night. That was an oops.

madcalfe

WKR
as its already stated go big. I have a stone glacier talus 6900 and also a kifaru hoodlum which is the same size. i use them from day hunts to 14day sheep hunts. they clinch down extremely small and tight.

cant give you any info on bag vs quilt. as i run just a bag. but if its hot out just sleep unzipped

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing I didn't see mentioned above, I have a Kifaru Gunbearer on my pack, and I can use that in "day pack mode" also. Much nicer than carrying the rifle slung over a shoulder the traditional way, especially when pushing through brush.

It also means you have your waist belt pouches, chest pack, holster, water carriers, etc. all on you and set up the same as on your pack in.

I have the big Seek Outside Brooks 7400. I love the big wing pockets for normal (full) backpack use. Seek shows that the empty main bag can be cinched down and the wing pockets used as a day pack, like this:
Seek_Outside_Brooks_Hunting_Backpack_Four_Modes__72573.1541530364.png

It was a feature I didn't care about when I bought the pack, but I used it this way as a day pack on a pack-in hunt this fall, and it worked really well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've gone the route of putting day pack sized bag on my SG Krux frame, but now I just leave the Solo bag (3600 cubic inches) on it- it's not much more weight (ounces) and the overall profile isn't much bigger. In addition to day hunts I do a lot of 2-4 day trips and the Solo handles that perfectly. I also like the fact that on colder day hunts I can pack enough clothing, emergency gear and even a stove with ease- it was a struggle sometimes with a day pack sized bag.

On the occasions I go on longer trips, I swap in a larger bag. But 90+% of the season the Solo is on there- day hunt or shorter multi-day trips.

I went to quilts about 10-12 years ago, now I'm back to bags. "Summer" I can along with a quilt just fine, but shoulder and winter seasons, having to deal with drafts got old. My "sleeping bags" are actually hybrid quilt/sleeping bags- Feathered Friends Flickers- I can fully zip them open to function as a quilt in conditions that warrant it or zip them up like a bag.

If you think the possibility exists where you might want to spike out a few nights, going larger and cinching down for day use, as others have mentioned, would be the way to go.... especially if you only want one pack. A MR Metcalf would be a good option, without being too large.

If you strictly want a dedicated daypack, without the need to overnight, I would look at a MR Pop Up 28. It's slim profile almost hides behind your torso, preventing it from getting hung up in heavy cover. Its also a great size to carry just what you need for the day, and nothing more. I have a Sawtooth besides the PU 28, and when I use it as a daypack, I find myself overfilling it with crap I don't need for a day hike/hunt.

As far as conventional bag vs quilt, I have no opinion. I have no experience with a quilt.

Another vote for the single large bag sucked down for day mode. I switched from a bag to a quilt two years ago. Went to a 0 degree Viam outdoors and have it paired with a Exped long wide winter UL pad. The pad has a r value of like 5.2 or something which is a must for me. I have been down to high 20s so far and I had to open it to vent it I was so hot. I prefer synthetic over down only because I had to climb in my bag one time soaking ass wet after getting on top of the mountain in a storm and it saved my ass. I literally had to wring my clothes out and get in the bag which was then soaked. It warmed up and I stayed warm all night. My buddy had a down bag and he was up all night trying to stay warm. Just food for thought. I will haul the extra 2 lbs for my thick pad and synthetic quilt for a great nights sleep.

Shraggs

WKR
Well, I have a dedicated spinner bait rod and another for jigging and don’t mix!

If one bag, pick one in the larger size maybe 5000 ish and cinch if needed pack it full otherwise.

But for me, differences in archery during temperate vs rifle when colder is separate bags. It’s not a capacity issue per se, because my bag is my shooting rest and carrier and I access different things I just like them set up differently. That’s me. Don’t like to re tie.

Zap mentioned it, classifieds here are amazing and it’s possible to pick up couple used bags and frame at a savings.

Switched to quilt, mainly cause i hammock for archery and love it. I have not yet used it very cold zero conditions, but added a synthetic quilt to go over it in a bivy and good ground pad. I feel claustrophobic in bags.

My reckoning cinches down surprisingly small for how big it can be. When I strip the extra pockets off and the lid it’s a good day pack, though if I was only going to be a couple miles away from the truck I plan on using the X-ray and make a second trip for a bigger pack. Down the road I could see getting a smaller pack or even the cargo net thing for the frame but what I have works good for me now. That is the nice thing about a modular system, you can have both and don’t have to buy it all at once. Half the time I end up unzipping my bag and using it like a quilt, but once in awhile it’s cold enough for me to be all zipped up and I’m glad I can. I spent some time looking hard at quilts but decided to get a wm badger to cover me ( no pun intended) in whatever conditions. I only wanted to spend a bunch of money on one do it all bag and figured it’s small and light enough it isn’t really overkill.

ljalberta

WKR
I use my frame pack (SG or Kifaru) as my day pack or as my 16 day pack. I like to have the capacity to take a load of meat wherever I get an animal down without having to head back to camp to grab a porter pack. As everyone else states, they compress wonderfully.

I like both quilts and bags. Early season, summer backpacking, and scouting, I’m taking my quilt. If the temperature is going to generally be above freezing, then quilts are game changing for me. I get a much more comfortable sleep being able to sprawl as a side sleeper. I’m generally sleeping on an Xtherm and if you go the quilt route I’d recommend a warm pad, a wide pad, and a wider quilt than you’d think you’ll need. It helps seal out the drafts if you toss and turn at night.

I have found that due to my tossing and turning, if the nights will generally be below freezing I’ll take a bag. I’m less comfortable falling asleep, but I’m less likely to awake from my sleep due to a draft.

Both have their places in my system.

Beagle001

FNG
I switched to a quilt this year, and while I didn’t get to test it’s temperature rating, I WAS super impressed and happy with it.

I bought a 0 degree Econo burrow from HammockGear. Nights were down to 20 a couple times, and it was toasty as my bed at home. The couple nights it stayed in the 30s I was actually too warm (and too stubborn to shed a layer of clothes) so I’ll be looking to buy a 30 degree quilt this year.
As others have mentioned, the sleeping pad is almost just as important as the bag/quilt itself.

ODB

WKR
I use my EXO as a day pack - it’s super comfortable and unobtrusive. And I have a sleeping bag, but use it more like a quilt. So, yes/yes.

Gapmaster

WKR
I switched to a quilt 2 years ago and don’t think I’ll go back to a bag unless I’m in very cold temps. I’m a bow hunter, so generally not in super cold temps. But I did have a single digit night last year, I survived. CedarRidge is the brand I use. There is definitely a learning curve to the quilt, but I’m an active sleeper and it fits my style.

If you go with a quilt..get the biggest you can IMHO.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
As a side sleeper I really prefer quilts for 20F-25F and above and find my El Coyote's do incredibly well at preventing drafts and are comfortable and versatile.
In temperatures under 20F I go with a bag as any drafts in these temperatures are much more noticeable.

j33

WKR
As a side sleeper I really prefer quilts for 20F-25F and above and find my El Coyote's do incredibly well at preventing drafts and are comfortable and versatile.
In temperatures under 20F I go with a bag as any drafts in these temperatures are much more noticeable.

You running the 10F or 20F El Coyote quilt?