Backpack alternative

I like having a backpack for WT hunting just to keep everything I *might* need in there. My middle son is the exact opposite. He won't even carry a tiny little shoulder bag or even a bino harness. He puts binos in one pocket and a Gatorade in the other.

ffiivvee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found that I really love the Kifaru Rogan for run and gun and it’s also handy for saddle hunting as well. I have mine on the belt that would normally go on a backpack as opposed to the one made for the Rogan. I find that it’s wayyyyyyyyy easier to adjust than the one that is supposed to be for the Rogan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPG kit bag, there’s a lot of space in those. It’s been awesome for turkey hunting as well

Attachments

• 21C299F5-CFEC-47C4-84FE-08D271B92F79.jpeg
    21C299F5-CFEC-47C4-84FE-08D271B92F79.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 24
  • A25B900E-A329-4C3B-8650-C5E48850EDEF.jpeg
    A25B900E-A329-4C3B-8650-C5E48850EDEF.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 23

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
Fanny pack here as well.

I really like Sitka’s for bow hunting. I don’t use the clothes bag as I usually prefer to size up packs. It’s great for what I use it for, especially if you’re hunting from preset stands.

Tradchef

WKR
When I was back home growing up I wore a turkey vest for treestanding and groundblind hunting. In the late season I just used a small pack to hold my thermos for tea or soup and the basics. We had to bring the deer out whole in Vermont to weigh them in so having minimal gear and just the essentials was best. I would do a turkey vest or some sort of Fanny or chest rig. The Rogan could be a good option or vend something cheaper is price is a concern

I run an Alaska guide creations harness with the stalker pack I think it’s called, just a 500 ci bag to hold a few extra goods when I’m hunting off my quad for bear

Hey guys just seeing if anyone has any experience or advice on this.

I’m tired of carrying a backpack to my stands everytime I whitetail hunt. I realistically only need a very few items from it during a hunt.

I was thinking about getting an fhf bino harness and then some accessories for it to carry the few things I need (rattle, grunt, water bottle, rangefinder, etc). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a setup similar to this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another option is a AGC bino harness, they make models with a lot of storage built in

I run a military chest rig called a rack minus from blue force gear. In addition to my binos it Carries an assortment of crap from time to time - water bottle, pistol, bear spray - i RFI it up based on the trip.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I run a military chest rig called a rack minus from blue force gear.
Looks like a cool way to make everything more versatile. Do you run it low like the images on bfg website? I'm wondering how it'd do with a packs waist and shoulder straps. Looks like the molle swath runs right thru backpack real estate.

Outdoor vision turkey pouch. It easily holds bino’s, water, food, and woukd hold everything you put in a backpack for most whitetail hunting. Minus extra layers.

Attachments

• 87511C76-4530-48CA-92EB-A5C2B6EE9130.jpeg
    87511C76-4530-48CA-92EB-A5C2B6EE9130.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks like a cool way to make everything more versatile. Do you run it low like the images on bfg website? I'm wondering how it'd do with a packs waist and shoulder straps. Looks like the molle swath runs right thru backpack real estate.
I run it a little lower than most run a bingo harness. It does fine with a hip belt and sternum strap for my pack.

strongarm

FNG
@JMo25
Alaska Guide Creations has two different packs that integrate with their bino harnesses. One looks like a decent size that may work for you.

T&K Hunting Gear I think has some similar options to ACG.

Marsupial Gear has some options with bino harness and their bird bags which may work for you.

Kifaru has their chest rig and a hydro harness. The rig itself is more fishing focused but can’t see why it wouldn’t be fine for hunting, too. Downside is it’s probably not best for binos if that’s what you need. The hydro harness is more for a water bladder but you may be able to fit a little more or stuff a jacket into their external bungee webbing. You could always use another’s bino harness with their hydro harness if you’re after a bladder solution.

FHF ditto lots of the above.

Hill People Gear also has some good options. I don’t have any HPG stuff but I have been impressed with them, too. I’ve thought about getting one of their lumbar-esque packs that has great volume for exactly the use I interpret you’re asking about, especially since Kifaru dropped their lumbar pack options (which I hope return sooner than later).

The good thing about most, if not all, of the above is that they should work interchangeably when the components use 1” webbing and buckles. Of all I mentioned above quality/durability is there, along with customer service. The only manufacturer I don’t have direct experience with is HPG but I wouldn’t hesitate with them one bit.

Mountainsmith still makes lumbar pack options, too, which could work. Durability of materials—and unfortunately overseas manufacturing—isn’t going to be the same as anyone above, who generally use Cordura, but the dual delta straps will really suck the load into your back for comfort. That, with their straplets (an option) could work. It won’t work with another’s’ bino harness however.

I personally use an older lumbar pack with a bino harness for whitetail a majority of the time. It’s fine except when layers are needed. For treestand days in cold weather I often find myself needing a pack to layer up, or if a close stand I just take it easy on approach and open up layers to not get sweated.

I use an ACG bino harness but not one of their packs since I usually have a full backpack on for elk, so I can’t speak to their pack options. I did go with one of their bino harnesses with the MAX pocket and for them (and others) recommend it. The extra couple pockets allow you to keep essential items close (wind checker, knife/multitool, rangefinder, quick snack, lighter, etc). I’m in my bino pack all the time since it’s right there.

If you go the lumbar pack route, which again works for the majority of the time for whitetail, you’ll appreciate the freedom of movement and comfort they allow vs. an even a smaller pack. Smaller packs drag on my shoulders and don’t seat as well as a lumbar pack (for me this is exacerbated since I have a long torso). Should you go that route, just be sure to get a lumbar pack with a shoulder harness to relieve some “drag” and “flop” of a stuffed lumbar pack.

Last edited: