Backpack alternative

JMo25

FNG
Hey guys just seeing if anyone has any experience or advice on this.

I’m tired of carrying a backpack to my stands everytime I whitetail hunt. I realistically only need a very few items from it during a hunt.

I was thinking about getting an fhf bino harness and then some accessories for it to carry the few things I need (rattle, grunt, water bottle, rangefinder, etc). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a setup similar to this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packer58

WKR
No experience with whitetail stands but a small fanny pack sounds like it would work out great for your needs .....

OP
JMo25

JMo25

FNG
I agree but I am a loser gear junkie and I would love to set up a good bino harness system lol

A marsupial bino harness along with some of their accessories would probably work for you.

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a backpack in mostly so I don’t have to wear my harness and jacket in.

Otherwise, between my pockets, 2 hands, and cheap bino harness, I could probably carry in everything I need with no pack.

I carry only a bino harness to the stand until it gets cold enough to start packing layers in, then I go to a backpack. The harness I use is the Sitka mountain optics harness with both side pouches on. Ive found that if I dont bring a backpack, I bring less unnecessary stuff, and therefore fidget with my pack and its contents less…just sit still and hunt. This is for preset stands only. I always carry a backpack when I “hang and hunt”
on public land because I have too much stuff to carry by hand.

wesfromky

WKR
Look at a kit bag with a bino pouch and recon harness from hill people gear.

I also used to carry a Kifaru Sherman with a shoulder strap as well. Nice and light and easy to deal with.

Drenalin

WKR
Hey guys just seeing if anyone has any experience or advice on this.

I’m tired of carrying a backpack to my stands everytime I whitetail hunt. I realistically only need a very few items from it during a hunt.

I was thinking about getting an fhf bino harness and then some accessories for it to carry the few things I need (rattle, grunt, water bottle, rangefinder, etc). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a setup similar to this.

Thanks

FHF makes a “chest rig” that might work a little better than a straight Bino harness for you.

You're a victim to the system. I stand hunted whitetails for 20 years with nothing more than a fanny pack.

Yoder

WKR
I wear my climbing harness in and it has a couple big pockets. Between that, my pants and whatever jacket I'm wearing I usually have enough storage. Most of the time I'm carrying my stand in so I just bungee anything I need onto my stand.

Back in the day, it'd be loaded gun, bibs and jacket, your buck knife and tag, a round or two extra in your pocket, maybe a rope you stash under a fallen tree somewhere thst made sense, and doubtfully, a bone saw.

You get a deer, you field dressed it, and best case had a rope to hoist on your shoulders, or worst case you're dragging it out.

No horses, no mules, no four wheeler or side by sides or trucks. You, a buddy at best, blood sweat and tears...

If I had to do without my pack, and I was going after anything deer sized, heck pheasant on up, I'd get a modular yoke system from HPG or marsupial.

In short: get a rope and carabiner, and hang your pack

I'll give another vote for a fanny pack. I have a large one that I got cheaply ten years ago, and it easily holds the necessities for bow or gun hunting whitetails. I also have a Hill People Recon Kit Bag that is very solid. If I'm still hunting, I use the Recon chest rig, and if I'm tree stand (stalk) hunting I carry the fanny pack.

Also, as another option, I have found that cargo pants can be a great minimalist option. When I'm saddle hunting on small properties, I put everything I need either on my saddle belt or in the pockets of my pants. I have some Duluth Trading Co cargo pants that I wear almost exclusively while hunting. They hold plenty of gear and even have knee pad pockets---which is great for saddle hunting. Just something to consider.

tony

WKR
Mountainsmith day or tour with a set of “strappettes”.
I have both sizes for hiking. Both will take a 1 L water bottle in the side pockets.
Then you could run a smaller bino harness up front.

fshaw

WKR
Big Woods Bucks makes a great waist pack for deer hunting. Well designed by hunters, quiet (wool with liner), plenty of capacity and shoulder straps to support carry. I really like mine and carry a Hyperlite pack inside it to carry boned meat. Quieter in the brush than a backpack and will carry all you need.

Belleau

FNG
I just finished filling my Marsupial modular belt! Man I love this system. I always find my self dropping my pack one way or another so having this belt I can carry all I need for a quick stalk. And for shooting your bow it's just perfect. It's like the rogan from kifaru but way more versatile,. might be heavier though... But I love it.