Backcountry vehicle traffic questions

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
When I pull up the MVUM maps from the Ranger Districts, or looking at OnX for the motorized trails, is it allowed to pull just off the trail and park anywhere? I’ve only ever parked at trailheads or obvious parking areas.

If it’s allowed, seems like it may not be wise just to park on the side somewhere, lest someone decide they want to take something.

Now to be more specific, does anyone have any experience in the Whitepine, Pitkin, Tomichi region of CO during the month of say, September?? Wondering how to start framing expectations.

Thanks all

Bluefish

WKR
Around Sargents, there are plenty of spots wide enough to pull off. Lots of unimproved camping spots. Pitkin is pretty similar. Just find a spot worn down and pull off.

I’m familiar with those areas, and yes, you can just pull over on pretty much any USFS road as long as you aren’t blocking the road or causing a hazard.

I can tell you that a lot of the roads that are marked as roads in that unit are either landlocked by private property, closed, or not suitable for a truck you like (I.e. you’ll beat the crap out of your suspension or have to accept getting scratched paint from overgrowth).