Backcountry packs for hunting

kjw

WKR
Just curious as to what everyone's strategy is when packed into the backcountry for a hunt. Do you hunt with your frame pack or do you pack a smaller lightweight day pack?? Always been torn as what to do. I want to be able to hunt light weight yet I would like to be able to take a load with when something hits the ground. Just don't want to have to try to hunt with the frame on all day... Whats your strategy? Do you hunt with your frame pack?

JNDEER

WKR
Eberley Blue Widow. Fits my needs when I asked myself the same thing. On my back empty with snacks and H20 for the day it is probably in the 15-25lb range. I can handle that no problem. It fits close and tight to my body so moving around (still hunting) is a breeze.

I wish someone would some how combine a pack with functionable load lifters & it be able to get as compact (LXW) as a J34.......that would be the perfect pack for my hunting style. Until then I will just stick with the blue widow.

I was in the same boat. I either took my heavy pack incase I downed an animal or I took a light day pack with essentials.. I saved my pennies and finally bought a kifaru bikini and highcamp because its a full size while being compressible and light for a full day hunting.

dotman

WKR
Eberley Blue Widow. Fits my needs when I asked myself the same thing. On my back empty with snacks and H20 for the day it is probably in the 15-25lb range. I can handle that no problem. It fits close and tight to my body so moving around (still hunting) is a breeze.

I wish someone would some how combine a pack with functionable load lifters & it be able to get as compact (LXW) as a J34.......that would be the perfect pack for my hunting style. Until then I will just stick with the blue widow.

It does exist, you just have to be willing to pay more for it then an Eberlestock costs.

littlebuf

Banned
timberline one does it all. ive got a thread on here about how I use it as a day pack. its lighter than a badlands 2500 (or what ever the right cu is) and its 7000cu for when an animals down. pretty hard to beat for do a it all internal frame pack

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have several packs but my J34 does it all. Packs in 60lbs+ of gear and then functions nicely as a day pack. Yeah, it is a bit heavier than most day packs but, I never notice the additional pound or two because it fits me so well. The onboard rifle scabbard is the best.

BlackBear

FNG
KUIU has the new ICON 1850 coming out. The bag is 1850 cubic inches and adds 2500 cubic inches when it's in load sling mode. 4350 total cubic inches can get you a hind quarter and some of your gear out. They have a good write up about it on their blog. I think it's under 4 lbs.

I run the Stone Glacier Solo, 3300 ci main compartment with an additional 2100 ci storage on the load shelf, easily cinches down if your load is smaller and all for 3.6 pounds.

weaver

WKR
Theres a stone glacier on ebay for a good price....has the small bag but a larger bag could be added

i will be using the Bikini frame w/DT1 pack this year and future hunts to come. what an improvement over a 2200 ci pack this will be