Backcountry mule deer advice needed

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! So in preparation for a sheep hunt in 2024, I’m trying to decide on a deer hunt for 2023 to test gear and myself. This past yr I burned my WY points for a hunt in region H and it was a blast. I had planned to try for an ID tag but had terrible Wi-Fi on 12/1 and was unable to get a solid OTC tag. I have 3 pts in CO, 3 in AZ, and am also considering a general tag for MT. I’m open to any advice on what to do. I’d prefer a hunt that I have to pack in and hunt as I’ll be hunting from my back on the sheep hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post publicly. Thanks in advance!

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s see the buck you took out of H in WY… Based on your options, 3 pts in CO can get you a decent tag and putting in for Montana general never hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are there decent backcountry rifle deer hunts to be had at 3 pts or would I need to do archery?

Jimss

WKR
You are on your way after your Wyo trip and success. The more time you spend in the summer scouting and figuring out your gear and equipment the more prepared you will be.

Are there decent backcountry rifle deer hunts to be had at 3 pts or would I need to do archery?
3 points will get a decent archery hunt. Highly unlikely to draw for a rifle tag. I drew the MT general tag before i moved out here this spring. MT honestly doesnt have very good deer hunting, its alright but dont expect anything big. If you want to use it to train id definitely look into CO. MT has some nasty country but the deer tend to be more in eastern MT where it isn't as gnarly. I'm a mt resident now but gonna try and burn 4 CO points on archery mule deer this coming year

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

That’s a nice buck. You could always apply in H again and hope to draw in the random. Or even G. Good luck. And best of luck with the sheep hunt. You really are going about preparing in a good way. The side of a mountain on a once in a lifetime hunt is no time to be putting gear and yourself through tests.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a nice buck. You could always apply in H again and hope to draw in the random. Or even G. Good luck. And best of luck with the sheep hunt. You really are going about preparing in a good way. The side of a mountain on a once in a lifetime hunt is no time to be putting gear and yourself through tests.
Thanks! I’m taking the sheep hunt very seriously and trying to fine tune my gear list through similar trips.

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
Just because you couldn't get a tag 12/1 in Idaho doesn't mean you won't have an oppurtunity between now and hunting season. There is always returned tags and if you keep your eye out you might get one.

Last edited:
I would ask what is the most similar country over what is the best deer hunt. My guess is that the Montana hunt will give you the best opportunity to replicate the sheep hunt conditions, or really push yourself. Test your gear in gnarly weather and all that.

Get out and scout a future area that you think you’ll hunt someday in (with all your gear on your back)

We always “envision” a hunt and e-scout and then when he arrive the game or terrain is always diff (and weather).

So, think about a non hunt scout in your dream areas maybe. Just a thot

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! So in preparation for a sheep hunt in 2024, I’m trying to decide on a deer hunt for 2023 to test gear and myself. This past yr I burned my WY points for a hunt in region H and it was a blast. I had planned to try for an ID tag but had terrible Wi-Fi on 12/1 and was unable to get a solid OTC tag. I have 3 pts in CO, 3 in AZ, and am also considering a general tag for MT. I’m open to any advice on what to do. I’d prefer a hunt that I have to pack in and hunt as I’ll be hunting from my back on the sheep hunt. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post publicly. Thanks in advance!
Are you hunting sheep in the lower 48? Are you able to hunt deer in the same sheep unit? You could scout for sheep while you hunt deer. Our Bighorns and mule deer live in the same places.

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
Get out and scout a future area that you think you’ll hunt someday in (with all your gear on your back)

We always “envision” a hunt and e-scout and then when he arrive the game or terrain is always diff (and weather).

So, think about a non hunt scout in your dream areas maybe. Just a thot

Would love to but when you have to travel from NC to do so, it’s harder to get a green light from the family without a tag in your pocket. I’ll likely do this more when my kids are older and can tag along to backpack and camp during the summer.