Backcountry hunt pack weight

1jeds

FNG
This is a great thread and it looks like most packs are around the same range with a few outliers. Most gear these days is super lightweight compared to that in the past which makes it easy to save on weight.

I haven't seen it in this thread, but I never understood the folks who obsess over shaving ounces. The reality is most people could stand to lose a few lbs around their gut for more significant savings, or a little extra time training with a loaded pack.

I try but the species that's hunted at least for me can make weight vary wildly. Optics are the culprit for the most part. Most of my OTC CO Sept elk is binoculars only, no tripod. Mule deer the optics weight jumps and Coues deer? Coues has the heaviest pack weight by far with the big optics and tripods we often carry. Coues hunts tend to need far more carried water as none exists in many areas. Same for desert sheep hunts with optics and water.
Cmon December Coues!

Go sleep in the woods for 5-7 days between now and September with all the stuff you think you need. That’s the only way to figure it out. You’re going to have to find your own luxury items, everyone is different. 7 days is a long time to hunt the same area for elk, especially if they’re not there.

There’s countless threads on gear lists you can peruse here. Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This for sure. You won't know until you do it repeatedly. If it's September I take lighter camo and in late November I take heavier camo. I found last year I was packing too much stuff and was able to lighten my pack a good 10 pounds. Still sit at about 50pds without my bow strapped to it. I 100% pack some fears but I am able to hunt at 42 years old all day for 5-7 days carrying that weight all over the mountain. I hunt in bear country in Idaho so my 454 casuell is strapped to my chest and it weights a good amount. The 50 pounds is everythibg to include optics and clothes I have on my body. Pack alone is 40 pounds probably.

Last edited: