Back Up Bow?

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Last week I sold my Halon 6. It was a great bow and it shot very nice. However I needed a better string angle at full draw (31”). And my Traverse is the most comfortable bow I’ve ever owned but now I’m wishing I had another bow again. Not because the Traverse is lacking but because I usually like to have two in case one has some issue during hunting season or one I can dedicate to 3D. And I like to tinker on stuff.

So I’m thinking I’ll wait out the new flagships rollouts this winter and pick up a leftover V3X 33 that I tried and liked a lot.

Anyone else have a back up bow or dedicated target/3D rig?

Elite Remedy (34” ATA) is an absolutely amazing bow. It will probably give you a terrific string angle. I was going to get one after I shot it a couple years ago, but at this point I’m waiting for a new version of it. For now, my Elite Energy 35 is backup to my Kure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMag338

WKR
Why not a 2nd Traverse? I don’t hunt, just range shoot, but I have two of them just in case.
This. I also have a Halon 6 and a Traverse. Wanted another traverse for a backup. As luck would have it, i bought 2 more traverses and set them up exactly the same.

For me, its helpful when I shoot my main bow and backup bow for them to be identical. There was enough difference in the string angle and draw cycle of the Halon and Traverse that switching back and forth could throw me off.

I have two of the same bows setup identical to each other so if one goes down I can grab the other and be right back at it. With almost 10 weeks of archery hunting I want a backup.

I think you want your backup bow pretty close to your main bow, if not the same. My backup has a little shorter ATA and is lighter draw weight, but otherwise is pretty much the same. It's really my winter hunting bow, but I can hunt with it any time of year.

I have dedicated target bows, but you could easily have your backup as a 3d bow, depending on how crazy you go with it, shouldn't be too much to change over to hunt with it.

I'd be looking for a Traverse. I have a friend who just sold a v3x 33, he is a Traverse/Vertix shooter and he just can't get along with the wider riser at the grip. Not saying a new 33 wouldn't work, but depends on the grip you currently use with your Traverse, might be a bigger problem than you would think to go between them.

406unltd

WKR
I missed almost all of archery elk last year because I didn’t have a backup. Now that I have one I probably won’t need it. That’s ok though, it’s still worth it.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
A back up bow has saved me on two different occasions, I’ll always have one. My back up is fairly different than my primary but same sight/rest/arrows, not saying that’s ideal but I’m comfortable with it.

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I think you want your backup bow pretty close to your main bow, if not the same.
I am in agreeance with this, my main bow is an RX4 Ultra and my back up is the v3x 33. I shoot both fairly well but switching back and forth is kinda tough. Takes a few sessions of shooting to get back to feeling comfortable.

WCB

WKR
Last week I sold my Halon 6. It was a great bow and it shot very nice. However I needed a better string angle at full draw (31”). And my Traverse is the most comfortable bow I’ve ever owned but now I’m wishing I had another bow again. Not because the Traverse is lacking but because I usually like to have two in case one has some issue during hunting season or one I can dedicate to 3D. And I like to tinker on stuff.

So I’m thinking I’ll wait out the new flagships rollouts this winter and pick up a leftover V3X 33 that I tried and liked a lot.

Anyone else have a back up bow or dedicated target/3D rig?
I have two Bowtech Prodigys. I have 1 set to Performance mode for general hunting and 1 for comfort mode for late season hunting in cold weather for the smoother draw. Both set up with MBG 3 pin sliders configured identical and Vapor Trail rests. It is nice having the same bow then everything feels the same. Besides string color and different quivers you wouldn't know the difference.

I bring both on any hunt further than a couple hours from home so if something goes wrong I'm not having to find a bow shop. It is also nice as I have experimented with different peeps, sights, rests, releases etc. and always have a bow exactly how I like it and don't have to worry about messing things up.

I am in agreeance with this, my main bow is an RX4 Ultra and my back up is the v3x 33. I shoot both fairly well but switching back and forth is kinda tough. Takes a few sessions of shooting to get back to feeling comfortable.
Someone posted on AT that having a different bow is *not* a backup, it’s another bow. Until then I thought my VXR28 would be my backup to my Levitate but when I shoot them back to back they are quite different…different enough that I will eventually be looking at picking up another Levitate (probably pre-owned…) as my backup bow. The poster relayed a story about someone going on an African hunt and both bows had issues (cut string, broken roller guard on the other one, but because they were the same bow he made it all work by swapping parts to one bow - this would not have worked with 2 different bows and in the end saved his African hunt…and obviously no archer shops around…).

THRASH

FNG
I think a backup is always a good idea if feasible. I have a backup Mathews in case my rig goes down during hunting season. Been in that situation before and it wasn’t a good feeling.