UPDATE ---Back pain procedure , numbing injections , anybody have this done ?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
May want to ask about Gabapentin. Not sure if it's meant for long-term use, or if it could provide you with some relief from the back pain, but it is not a narcotic, and seems to be the only thing helping with the nerve pain I am having from a case of the shingles.

Weldor

WKR
May want to ask about Gabapentin. Not sure if it's meant for long-term use, or if it could provide you with some relief from the back pain, but it is not a narcotic, and seems to be the only thing helping with the nerve pain I am having from a case of the shingles.
Been on it for14 years 2400 mgs a day. does help.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Shingles suck , been there done that , sorry bud . I broke out bad with that , lower back around and up one side of my belly , hurts like hell .

Deadfall

WKR
You'll be surprised what stretching and mobility exercises will do for healing stuff.
When it's done for a sustained interval.

The human body is crazy in how it can heal itself. When treated properly

Weldor

WKR
Any side effects ?
None I know of. Do the Doc. Thing once a year he's never mentioned anything. I don't like reading the side effects of prescription drugs, makes you think you have everyone of them. Lots of laughs.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you. A few thoughts.

I think second opinions are always important, even when dealing with docs in whom you have a ton of faith. Even the best-intentioned docs may over-rely on the law of averages, bias based on age or health, perception regarding activity levels and merit of those activities, standard protocol vs detailed reviews, etc. At worst, a second opinion will do nothing more than confirm the original diagnosis and treatment protocol, in which case you eliminate some of your uncertainty. At best, it could resolve a potential oversight. These days, self-advocacy in medicine is more and more important. Think of a second opinion as no different from shopping trucks at different dealerships, getting different quotes on a roof, pushing back on what a financial planner suggests, etc.

Discs don't heal, but surgery can clean up the offending bits and buy you time. Even less invasive, PT can alleviate issues we all have by augmenting our strength, flexibility, and in turn alignment and amount of strain we place on our discs. Meanwhile, surgery carries risks, the most common being infection.

I'd ask questions like
  • In your opinion, what was the mechanism of injury?
  • How is my bone density and integrity of my vertebrae?
  • What needs to happen for me to begin running again? Carry a heavy pack again?
  • My life takes me deep into the backcountry, where helicopter rescue may be the only option if I'm incapacitated and can't self-rescue. Knowing that, does your treatment plan change?
  • What metrics do we use to determine if current treatment is/is not working, and what is the next step?
  • How do I get from a 4/5 on the pain scale to a 1/2?
  • Under what circumstances would you recommend surgery? What type? Who performs it, and at what hospital?
  • What specific improvements have you seen re: discs and fusions in the last, say, five years? How do they impact your diagnoses and treatment plans?
Surgeries get better and better each year. So there's merit to waiting. BUT if you feel like this is a career-ending injury and there are surgical alternatives that could restore you to the things you love, I think it's worth pursuing...
I second what DH said about second opinions. It is always a good idea and an extremely good idea if there is any mention of using hardware to fix the problem. In general I have seen the outcomes from back surgery improve over the years but it is still a great idea to get a fresh set of eyes on a problem that may require surgical intervention.

T

timmypop

I am six months post from a hemi-lami and a two level fusion at L5/S1. I am 44 and I have dealt with it for 20+ years. I finally could not take the increasing pain and my doctor and I agreed it was time for surgery. I'm always been very active.

I've done it all. Injections, yoga, PT, accu, dry needle, chiro, stretch, cupping, discogram, CT mylo, 10+ MRIs.

PM me and I'd be happy to share my story, a lot of research, and a lot of attempts. I'll share what I would do different.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Just wanted to follow up with this thread . You all were right as rain ! I've been doing the exercises that were recommended on here and my back feels much better . To the point that I've actually contemplated trying to jog , but I think I'd regret it if I did .
I've been doing the bird dog and planks , walking more , and just joined the gym .
I listened and thank you all !

Idaboy

WKR
Just wanted to follow up with this thread . You all were right as rain ! I've been doing the exercises that were recommended on here and my back feels much better . To the point that I've actually contemplated trying to jog , but I think I'd regret it if I did .
I've been doing the bird dog and planks , walking more , and just joined the gym .
I listened and thank you all !
Really good to hear....my back took nearly 3 yrs but it's finally back to functional...the first year all the exercises I was prescribed probably only lead to more inflammation with how my disc herniated....finally got a PT that took a different approach and it made all the difference......until you experience it, it's really unfathomable how much a disc/back issue can shut you down....really great to hear you are back on track!

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Just wanted to follow up , I've been going to the gym and doing different stuff . Stair stepper , hanging leg lifts and some rotary torso exercises .
My lower back feels great , but I have to be careful about my thoracic area , certain exercises seem to aggravate it , Tricep presses for one .
Still , overall , I'm much better off . Thanks again for all the input .
Get to the gym , you will be glad you did .