Back Bars for my Athens Convixtion

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
QD for sure. I didn't explain it and should have but my affinity for a short bow is because of how I carry it slung across my back while riding horseback. So I often remove sights/stabilizer if I'm traveling far to protect the sight and keep it from jabbing me.

from your PM: https://www.beestinger.com/Stabilizers/Hunting/Sport-Hunter-Xtreme-Kit.aspx

and

Thanks! let me read through and think on those and I'll post up
OK, had time to research this. I’d like to try both of them—the Sport Hunter and the Microhex counter slide.

(Big thanks to @Rob5589 offer too!)

Then I can decide between the two. I’ll either send them both back or buy one from you it it’s for sale and pay postage both ways (Wife has PP or I can just send a check)

I believe I have WKR status so you can easily blow me up if I take a hike with your gear ;)

If that sounds good, let me know and I’ll hit your PM with shipping info.

My goal is to add back the 5 yards I’ve lost on MER in the last few Cold Bow Challenges.

Thanks Billy Goat!

OK, had time to research this. I’d like to try both of them—the Sport Hunter and the Microhex counter slide.

(Big thanks to @Rob5589 offer too!)

Then I can decide between the two. I’ll either send them both back or buy one from you it it’s for sale and pay postage both ways (Wife has PP or I can just send a check)

I believe I have WKR status so you can easily blow me up if I take a hike with your gear ;)

If that sounds good, let me know and I’ll hit your PM with shipping info.

My goal is to add back the 5 yards I’ve lost on MER in the last few Cold Bow Challenges.

Thanks Billy Goat!

Ten 4.

I'll hunt you down when you ghost me.
Find out what it's like to be one of those big mulies. 🤣🤣🤣

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Okay guys @Billy Goat shipped the gear to try. Thanks man!

He sent both Bee Stinger products

The Sport Hunter Xtreme

and the Microhex Counterslide side bar

Made an appointment with my Pro shop today (Downwind Archery on the Ririe Highway) and just went in and had Bud help me set it up. He’s worked on my bows for years and has never sold me short

Really glad I went in. I watched a few YouTube videos earlier and decided I only knew enough to be dangerous. I was right.

Bud helped me decide the Sport Hunter was what I needed. He said the micro slide bar would help but I wouldn’t get the full balance effect from it, it would only be enough to offset my quiver and maybe not even that.

Turns out he had a bow balancer and he installs these things daily. He had me going in 15 minutes and $20.

We just had the 20-yard range and I shot a 30-arrow round. I am only 100 arrows in this year and rusty, so the only thing I could tell was that the bow balances almost instantly when I draw it.

My bubble on my Black Gold is the first part of my sequence and I’ve never timed it but it always feels like it takes way too long to center it. Not now, bow balances left and right front and back quickly. And just as important, it stays balanced. It was not uncommon before for me to have to interrupt my sequence and bring the bow back to level.

I didn’t shoot any video before we balanced it but my bow always tipped right and forward after the shot. You can see in the short video at the very end it’s pretty rocksolid.

Just need to get it out now and shoot some distance and see if the balance carries over into improved shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't think it helps much for hunting accuracy. I have shot a lot of bows without any bars and the accuracy difference wasn't substantial. I am happy to send you some stuff I have around for you to try tho. Might give you an idea of if you even like it or not, then you will have an idea of what to look for to "run" on your "rig"......

Ole Robby trying to be hip
i'm with ya.... i think if you are more likely to shoot over 50yds than under, it may be a consideration (maybe?) but beyond that, unless the bow balances wonky, for hunting, i don't see the benefit being worth the annoyance of carrying a bow in the mountains with a back bar.

i have a counter slide on my mach 1 right now, and the bow does settle down a little faster, but there is no appreciable accuracy difference that makes it worth the weight and bulk of it being there. we all hunt a little different, so we do have to refine our own stuff to suit our needs, but if a bow needs a bunch of stuff hanging off of it to shoot well at ranges i kill stuff, it's not the right bow for me

Okay guys @Billy Goat shipped the gear to try. Thanks man!

He sent both Bee Stinger products

The Sport Hunter Xtreme

and the Microhex Counterslide side bar

Made an appointment with my Pro shop today (Downwind Archery on the Ririe Highway) and just went in and had Bud help me set it up. He’s worked on my bows for years and has never sold me short

Really glad I went in. I watched a few YouTube videos earlier and decided I only knew enough to be dangerous. I was right.

Bud helped me decide the Sport Hunter was what I needed. He said the micro slide bar would help but I wouldn’t get the full balance effect from it, it would only be enough to offset my quiver and maybe not even that.

Turns out he had a bow balancer and he installs these things daily. He had me going in 15 minutes and $20.

We just had the 20-yard range and I shot a 30-arrow round. I am only 100 arrows in this year and rusty, so the only thing I could tell was that the bow balances almost instantly when I draw it.

My bubble on my Black Gold is the first part of my sequence and I’ve never timed it but it always feels like it takes way too long to center it. Not now, bow balances left and right front and back quickly. And just as important, it stays balanced. It was not uncommon before for me to have to interrupt my sequence and bring the bow back to level.

I didn’t shoot any video before we balanced it but my bow always tipped right and forward after the shot. You can see in the short video at the very end it’s pretty rocksolid.

Just need to get it out now and shoot some distance and see if the balance carries over into improved shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd probably swap that end weight out on the 10". I'm pretty certain it's 4oz, but might be 2, can't remember now. But if it's 4 oz, you might try putting 3 of the one ounce. Getting them further out you don't need as much weight for the sane balance.

Just cause I hate that big disk, I used it on my front, but wouldn't want it on the back.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'd probably swap that end weight out on the 10". I'm pretty certain it's 4oz, but might be 2, can't remember now. But if it's 4 oz, you might try putting 3 of the one ounce. Getting them further out you don't need as much weight for the sane balance.

Just cause I hate that big disk, I used it on my front, but wouldn't want it on the back.
Bud fiddled with all those to get it balanced. I didn’t show that in video. It’s fine for now. Excited to launch some distance. Up to 50mph winds today so be later this week. Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update.

So, last few years in our Cold Bow Challenge, I’ve shot 55 yards but haven’t been able to keep all five arrows in the vitals, essentially flunking the challenge.

I could tell that first week of shooting with the new setup that I was steadier and quicker to level out.

So I just did a 5 day challenge (it took 6 to complete as I missed a day) of one arrow a day, no warm ups.

I only have three arrows right now so had to shoot two pics to get 5 arrows

abc520465cda2f5306cc68c84dd8f94d.jpg

db237e9035c6f13941918479dc2f115b.jpg

So I passed the challenge.

Now this was with field points so to compare apples to apples, I need to shoot the challenge with my Iron Will Broadheads. I’ll do that next week.

So far, I can tell I shoot a little better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I would’ve just shot my broadheads but hadn’t since last fall. After that CBC above, I tested my broadheads and of course, still hitting with FPs, although about the equivalent of a yard lower beyond about 55 yards (meaning if I dial a yard, they hit the same POI). This is normal and I’ve always attributed it to drag (I know some won’t agree).

anyway, restarted a CBC this morning with my Irowills 100s vented.

95943C8E-862A-468C-B509-17088D77D504.jpeg

1st arrow is good!