Baby Carrier

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I have an almost 6 month old little girl and we have Daddy daughter time 2 or 3 times a week while momma is at work. Ive watched as much TV and heard as much dingy noises as I can handle Lol she has great head control now and loves being outside. I'm looking for a simple and comfortable way to carry her around the woods with me and check cams or scout.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
Second the osprey. Try to find used, because they might not tolerate it once they learn to walk.

jte5013

FNG
And a 4th vote for the osprey poco. Our dueter isn't as good, and the kelty was uncomfortable for the baby

I have the Osprey as well and it is nice, you can carry some extra stuff. I didn’t find it super comfortable though.

I recommend something like this. https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier

These baby carriers or similar brand are very comfortable. My wife bought them and initially I thought I wouldn’t ever wear that, but I have put many 5+ mile hikes with a toddler on my back and had no issue at all.
My 2 year old is a big guy, over 30lbs and he’s no problem at all with that carrier, but with the Osprey it got uncomfortable after a couple miles. It’s also worth mentioning they sit right up against you in those ergo or similar carriers which helps on unstable terrain.

You can wear them on the front when they’re small and don’t have the best head control and then transition to on your back when they’re ready.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend something like this. https://ergobaby.com/baby-carrier

These baby carriers or similar brand are very comfortable. My wife bought them and initially I thought I wouldn’t ever wear that, but I have put many 5+ mile hikes with a toddler on my back and had no issue at all.
My 2 year old is a big guy, over 30lbs and he’s no problem at all with that carrier, but with the Osprey it got uncomfortable after a couple miles. It’s also worth mentioning they sit right up against you in those ergo or similar carriers which helps on unstable terrain.

You can wear them on the front when they’re small and don’t have the best head control and then transition to on your back when they’re ready.
I agree with this for when they’re real young. I did a bunch of miles in the mountains with these carriers.

Once they get a little bigger my wife found an older REI backpack that looks similar to the Deuter and it has worked very well. Our oldest is 3 and she’ll still ask to be in it now sometimes instead of walking.

Whisky

WKR
I'm bringing a 2 YO on a pheasant hunt this weekend in a Deuter. I don't have any experience with any other brands, but the Deuter has been more than sufficient.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Where in north Georgia do you live? I'm near Athens and I have an older Kelty backpack that I'd sell for $15 (what I paid for it) if you're interested. It's in good shape despite being an older model.

The Kelty has the superior frame (for Mom, Dad). The Osprey is probably the most comfortable for the child. Neither of them compare to carrying a load with any of the framed hunting packs we tend to use.

TX_Diver

WKR
The deuter fits my wife well but not me. I strapped it to my kifaru frame.

u0Tzy88h.jpg

4oKjBA0h.jpg

WCB

WKR
We have a Deuter and zero complaints. Haul the kids around for hours. My wife has carried our girls around for 7-8hrs in a single day upland hunting and no complaints from mom or the kids. I've carried them around all day also and no issues.

You could always strap it to your current pack if you have one but I don't find a need for it.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Where in north Georgia do you live? I'm near Athens and I have an older Kelty backpack that I'd sell for $15 (what I paid for it) if you're interested. It's in good shape despite being an older model.
I live in Clayton. Got pics of it?

I have a 36 waist and none of them are comfortable. The hip pads are garbage and don't even go past the mid point of your hips. I drove around town and tried every brand on. Settled on a Deuter because it was the most comfortable of all them for me, but it is far from ideal.

I think you're a bit ahead of yourself. My youngest is right at 6 months too. I'd recommend going the route of something along the lines of an Ergo until they are about a year old. My PT wife would strongly advise the same. Sure they have head control, but they have no body control and it's not nearly snug enough in one of the large backpack style baby carriers to keep them upright, comfortable, and safe. And you can't keep your eyes on them. At 6 months, they can go forward facing in an Ergo. My little guy could ride forward facing all day in that thing checking out the world.

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 36 waist and none of them are comfortable. The hip pads are garbage and don't even go past the mid point of your hips. I drove around town and tried every brand on. Settled on a Deuter because it was the most comfortable of all them for me, but it is far from ideal.

I think you're a bit ahead of yourself. My youngest is right at 6 months too. I'd recommend going the route of something along the lines of an Ergo until they are about a year old. My PT wife would strongly advise the same. Sure they have head control, but they have no body control and it's not nearly snug enough in one of the large backpack style baby carriers to keep them upright, comfortable, and safe. And you can't keep your eyes on them. At 6 months, they can go forward facing in an Ergo. My little guy could ride forward facing all day in that thing checking out the world.
I was honestly just going by manufacturer recommendations and they all say 6+ months

TX_Diver

WKR
I was honestly just going by manufacturer recommendations and they all say 6+ months

We started using the backpack around 9-10 months. At 6 months the ergo carrier still worked great and seemed to be preferred. I think you can wear them on the front or back too.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Could not find a baby frame that was comfortable for me. Used a compression strap to secure it to my duplex frame. It actually worked pretty well to carry it with the Stryker in the load sling also. Between the compression straps and the Stryker the baby carrier is going nowhere

IMG_6469.jpg
IMG_6468.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of the Osprey Poco. I’ve put in a bunch of miles with both of my girls in this pack. I think it is comfortable for them and it has a bag under it for diaper changing stuff.

I have strapped it to my EXO Mtn Gear K3 Fran and put in miles too.