B.C. antlers: Ship, trailer, pickup truck?

Southeast

FNG
What would you do as far as getting a couple sets of moose antlers home from B. C. ? Here's the scenario:

Two of us are driving 25 hours from S. Dakota to the Prince George area. We will likely be in an open bed pickup truck and the bed will be mostly full of three 150 quart coolers and some gear. We will not be going non-stop, there will be one hotel night along the way.

Options:

- Throw the moose racks on top of the coolers and go. Carry them into the hotel the one night?

- Rent a UHaul trailer in Prince George and drag it 25 hours back home. Antlers and meat are locked up in it at night.

- Ship the antlers and just take the meat. It's hard to find out what that would cost.

I have worked through moose logistics for Alaska trips several times but this driving-to-Canada is different. Would love some input, as would those who Google this in the future!

WMR

FNG
Renting an enclosed U-Haul is not cost prohibitive, especially for two guys to split. If you do, get the insurance with it. Resist the temptation to skip it. I dragged one along on a Canadian hunt last year and the enclosed trailer is welcome security.

For just one overnight it would also make sense to just use a chain and lock to keep the antlers secured in the truck bed. I'd worry more about the meat. Some coolers can lock, others cannot. Ideally, stay at a rural motel where you can back the truck right up to your door. I travel a lot to hunt and NEVER leave guns, or optics in the truck overnight. The dog also comes in the room. I'd sooner lose the whole rig than my dog. I've heard the horror stories but have never lost anything. Also, just tarping over the tuck bed at night will greatly limit folks' temptation to grab something. Good luck on your hunt.

Will they be skull capped? Bring a couple handfuls of salt or borax and rub the skull caps down. Let em air out at camp and on the drive a couple days. Anything left on the skulls will be jerky by day 2. Wrap the skull cap in Saran Wrap when you get to the hotel and bring em in for the night with everything else.

Could probably do the same with a euro. I’ve had buddies wrap up uncleaned euro moose skulls a week after they were shot and check them as luggage no problem and no smell. Just cleaned with a knife, brain pulled, bagged, wrapped, and taped the skull extremely well. Even without salt/borax, any meat left on is jerky by about day 4 outside in the wind.

OP
Southeast

Southeast

FNG
They'll be skull capped. Good tip on the borax and wrap.

WMR: You're right, cost is not an issue at all with a UHaul trailer. I struggle more with picturing pulling it that far. I suppose people do it all the time. Does UHaul provide a spare tire?

BCsteve

WKR
I'd go with the small 4x8 or 5x8 uhaul enclosed trailer as well. They're not overly expensive, small am easy to tow, it will keep your antlers and extra gear secure and clean.

WMR

FNG
I pulled one 2000 miles each way last year. They will pay for road service with the insurance but did not give me a spare. I asked the dealer for good tires and did OK. A trailer sized can of "Fix a Flat" might be a good idea in case of a problem at night or in an out of the way spot. A more calculating person might buy a spare at Tractor Supply and carry it in the trailer. He might then return it unused when he got home. They are not expensive. I'm going back this year and will put the rack (hopefully) inside my truck cap. I'll probably put my small freezer on my open trailer and just strap it down. I could just use coolers but I hope to stop and shoot a few ducks on the way home so the freezer might work out better. I hope you shoot a giant and I shoot a monster :)

Racer00

FNG
Borrow or buy a cap for your truck. Figure out a locking system for it. Most have decent locks. Store all your gear in a covered, dry, out of sight way. I'd still probably carry any expensive gear, ie, guns and optics and antlers into my room.
But no trailer to worry about or need to tow. And little if any effect on mileage.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Too much stuff gets stolen from pickups in hotel parking lots even from toppers. I would take a tent and stay in a campground.

keller

WKR
Drove to ak and back with trophies and meat with a tent freezer and generator keep everything close to you stay at campgrounds. Only problem i had was one night in Canada at 9pm bigger city campgrounds would not allow tent campers. Slept in the truck

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Driving 25 hours with a trailer just for antlers sounds insane to me. Just bring them inside the hotel room to keep them safe. You can easily lock most coolers by chain to truck beds.

mooster

WKR
maybe use a van, example rent a uhaul van. save the miles on your vehicle and allows privacy re: its contents.

EdP

WKR
Another option not suggested above is to do shifts in the truck. One sleeps 4 hrs in the truck while the other sleeps in the room, then switch. I'd still put the racks in the room. With 2 drivers there is plenty of time to catch on any sleep missed while in the truck.