AZ OHV New Regulations

Naiche

FNG
I just heard our POS governor signed a new law requiring a license to drive an OHV. Just what we need more government regulation. Instead of enforcing the existing laws let's burden the citizens with new hoops to jump through.

BBob

WKR
What sort of license? License as in a vehicle operators license as in no kids operating OHV’s? Link? More details?

Why oh why can’t people post the info up instead of just the rant?

IMG_3623.jpeg

Last edited:
I just heard our POS governor signed a new law requiring a license to drive an OHV. Just what we need more government regulation. Instead of enforcing the existing laws let's burden the citizens with new hoops to jump through.

How dare that evil lady require a drivers license to operate a UTV. FFS, why would you be offended by having to have a drivers license and also punishing some parents for being bad parents? What is the new hoop we have to jump thru?

AZ8

WKR
Always had to be licensed. Just added more teeth to exsiting law.

What's new:

Citations beyond just the parents if underaged.

Extends the prohibition of consuming alcohol in motor vehicles to include OHVs.

**Edit** Safety course requirement. This might only be for those under 18. Further clarification is needed.

The legislation additionally instructs the Arizona Game and Fish Department to certify a safety course in off-road driving. Starting in 2025, a person will be expected to complete this safety course and provide proof of completion to the transportation department.

Last edited:
I despise Hobbs. This will be almost completely unenforceable. Idiots will continue to be idiots and kids will continue to be killed operating atvs and utvs.

I would rather have seen a ban on atvs/utvs than cameras in this state. The use and abuse of these macines has gotten totally out of control, and is a scourge on our public lands and wildlife.

Weldor

WKR
Always had to be licensed. Just added more teeth to exsiting law.

What's new:

Citations beyond just the parents if underaged.

Extends the prohibition of consuming alcohol in motor vehicles to include OHVs.

**Edit** Safety course requirement. This might only be for those under 18. Further clarification is needed.

The legislation additionally instructs the Arizona Game and Fish Department to certify a safety course in off-road driving. Starting in 2025, a person will be expected to complete this safety course and provide proof of completion to the transportation department.
Yea, No info on the safety course? The dept of transportation? I guess we'll have to see whay G&F comes up with. Online or ?

BBob

WKR
It appears that the safety course will be required by everyone, not just minors. It also looks like it will be an online course. Some helmet stipulations for minors too.

I’m attempting to read these docs on my phone so I reserve the right to be wrong or to have missed something :)

SB1567 overview

Edit: Safety course maybe only required for minors under age of 18 without an operators license.

(a) An operational skills instruction and examination component that is required only for an operator who is under eighteen years of age who does not possess a valid driver license issued pursuant to title 28, chapter 8, Arizona Revised Statutes.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
AZ doesn’t enforce their closed to motorized travel roads, at least in the couple units I’ve hunted…so whats the big deal?
The big deal is the one guy that will get caught and cited because he (or his kid) didn’t have his safety course will come in here and bitch about it and we’ll all have to listen and supposedly have to provide sympathy to his rant about how unfair it is that he broke the new rules :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I wonder if it includes electric bikes? They are motorized.
There were proposed changes to the definition of “motor vehicle” in this bill. If those were approved it looks like it may include e-bikes. I’m trying to find it now.

Edit: e-bikes don’t seem to be affected

6. “Off-highway vehicle”:

(a) Means a motorized vehicle that is operated primarily off of highways and that is designed, modified or purpose-built primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel.

(b) Includes a tracked or wheeled vehicle, utility vehicleRECREATIONAL OR UTILITY SIDE-BY-SIDE VEHICLE, all-terrain vehicle, motorcycle, four-wheel drive vehicle DIRT BIKE, dune buggy, sand rail, amphibious vehicle, ground effects or air cushion vehicle and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, “DIRT BIKE” MEANS A LIGHTWEIGHT MOTORCYCLE THAT IS DESIGNED FOR USE ON ROUGH TERRAIN, INCLUDING UNSURFACED ROADS OR TRACKS.

(c) Does not include a vehicle that is either:

(i) Designed primarily for travel on, over or in the water.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
There were proposed changes to the definition of “motor vehicle” in this bill. If those were approved it looks like it would include e-bikes. I’m trying to find it now.
No offense to anyone, but they need to pay their fair share. I have to buy 2 tags to use my utv. Bikes pay nothing and use the same areas .Not to mention carry insurance also.

BBob

WKR
Here’s a good overview of SB1567 with the full text of the bill. Not: This is from April and there were some changes made to the bill before it passed and was signed.

Weldor

WKR
It appears that the safety course will be required by everyone, not just minors. It also looks like it will be an online course. Some helmet stipulations for minors too.

I’m attempting to read these docs on my phone so I reserve the right to be wrong or to have missed something :)

SB1567 overview

Edit: Safety course maybe only required for minors under age of 18 without an operators license.

(a) An operational skills instruction and examination component that is required only for an operator who is under eighteen years of age who does not possess a valid driver license issued pursuant to title 28, chapter 8, Arizona Revised Statutes.

Good deal, it's needed. To bad G&f track record for getting these courses is iffy. Just look how hard it is to get hunters safety for the young guy's and gals.

BBob

WKR
Good deal, it's needed. To bad G&f track record for getting these courses is iffy. Just look how hard it is to get hunters safety for the young guy's and gals.
Yes, it used to be an easy thing to accomplish. I have no idea why they haven’t been able to resurrect it to where it was pre-Covid.

Great idea and going in the right direction. Of course implementing this is going to be a PITA and will surely be underfunded. I look forward to it tho. I get stopped far more in my SxS than I ever have hunting. If they would figure out a way to get some dedicated OHV officers to patrol the busiest areas, that alone would be a big change.

BBob

WKR
I wonder if it includes electric bikes? They are motorized.
So the OHV definition in AZ code ARS 28-1171 to me would include e-bikes.

“and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind.”

6. " Off-highway vehicle" :

(a) Means a motorized vehicle when operated primarily off of highways on land, water, snow, ice or other natural terrain or on a combination of land, water, snow, ice or other natural terrain.

(b) Includes a two-wheel, three-wheel or four-wheel vehicle, motorcycle, four-wheel drive vehicle, dune buggy, amphibious vehicle, ground effects or air cushion vehicle and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind.

Weldor

WKR
Here’s a good overview of SB1567 with the full text of the bill. Not: This is from April and there were some changes made to the bill before it passed and was signed.

Looks like e-bikes skated again.

Weldor

WKR
So the OHV definition in AZ code ARS 28-1171 to me would include e-bikes.

“and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind.”

6. " Off-highway vehicle" :

(a) Means a motorized vehicle when operated primarily off of highways on land, water, snow, ice or other natural terrain or on a combination of land, water, snow, ice or other natural terrain.

(b) Includes a two-wheel, three-wheel or four-wheel vehicle, motorcycle, four-wheel drive vehicle, dune buggy, amphibious vehicle, ground effects or air cushion vehicle and any other means of land transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind.

I read that, but I don't believe they come under the term Vehicle? Look at the battery powered moto-cross bikes, They put the term motorcycle 2 wheel. no mention of the word BIKE. I agree totally with you. To me it would include the e-bikes, but seeing it for enforcement or discretion not there. I have to laugh at our great state, where I live is across the road from a large mountain bike only area. (include equestrian and hikers) Signs read No Motorized vehicles allowed under ARS-Blah blah blah. Almost every bike out there is a electric motor driven 2 wheel vehicle. No permits no tags to buy just a free ride. I get it, but there is a State land permit required , rarely seen in any window at the parking lot. Game and fish has told the landowners they have better things to do than police that lot for permits.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
We need an ATV license as well as a Boater license up here. Both are online and Google has the answers to every question, not really much more than a temporary inconvenience.