Axe and tool handles project

Mosby

WKR
I have a shovel and several axes that I use and keep in my truck on camping, scouting and hunting trips. I am planning on cleaning up and treating the wood handles this off season, as soon as the weather warms up and have started sanding and stripping old varnish off etc., I am thinning some of the handles in the process, just to make the tools a bit more comfortable in my hands. A good winter project to get my tools squared away.

I have both Boiled Linseed oil and Watco Danish oil to put on the handles. I also have some bees wax laying around and have thought about incorporating some of that but probably won't. I have used BLO most in the past but the Watco leaves a darker finish and I am probably going to start with that on a couple handles, let it dry in the sun and see if I like it.

What are you guys treating your wood tool handles with? BLO, Watco or something else?

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
There are a couple of guys on YT that use axes for a living and make some interesting videos and he is one of them. Thanks.

Stumpy208

FNG
I normal use boiled linseed oil. It comes out looking pretty nice and gives a good grip once you apply enough of it.

Drenalin

WKR
I waffled around a bit, but ultimately just stuck with boiled linseed oil. It's cheap and I already have a lot of it.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I've decided to keep it simple. I have a couple of axes and splitters with handles already treated with BLO, so I'm going to keep applying the BLO. Tools that I have sanded and modified or that I am hafting myself with new handles are going to get Watco. I'm not sure there is much of a difference in durability etc., but we'll see.

Watco is meant to be used on interior wood surfaces. That being said it may work just fine on tool handles, only one way to find out. I would probably use the BLO for the "grip" and it seems to help wood from drying out to much.

packer58

WKR
Boiled Linseed Oil user here ...... I'm guilty as well, but, when you clean, sand and treat your wood handled tools your REALLY looking for something to do ......

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
24e24783637225b1443c09193e9fe35a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a shovel and several axes that I use and keep in my truck on camping, scouting and hunting trips. I am planning on cleaning up and treating the wood handles this off season, as soon as the weather warms up and have started sanding and stripping old varnish off etc., I am thinning some of the handles in the process, just to make the tools a bit more comfortable in my hands. A good winter project to get my tools squared away.

I have both Boiled Linseed oil and Watco Danish oil to put on the handles. I also have some bees wax laying around and have thought about incorporating some of that but probably won't. I have used BLO most in the past but the Watco leaves a darker finish and I am probably going to start with that on a couple handles, let it dry in the sun and see if I like it.

What are you guys treating your wood tool handles with? BLO, Watco or something else?
A good friend of mine is really into axes (like over 500) and he has been smoking the handles in his cold smoker while making bacon. They look amazing and then he just finishes with bees wax. Just an idea...

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I have burnished some with a torch. It's a cool touch. I have found that wax finishes can create more friction and therefore heat which is how blisters get started.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like using tung oil. Soaks into the wood nicely and dries without being "slick". Waterproof protection is great and I also use it on carved wood bowls and cooking spoons.

I had someone convince me to do one with spar varnish. Never again. BLO durable and maintainable.