Average shot distance for elk

cpalm9

FNG
Just curious. I cap myself to around 40-45 and practice out to about 60. You watch videos of guys taking shots outside of 60 yards and that seems like it's not the norm. I'm still fairly new to archery elk so I'm curious what others have found to be the average distance.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
It varies all over the place, depending on the state, terrain, cover etc. I practice at 85+ yards every day, but so far 50 is my furthest shot on elk. I've had buddies who have killed elk further and I've seen a few 80 yard follow up shots that sealed the deal, but what is an ethical shot for one archer, may not be so for another person. I like to get them in close as I can as anyone does, but sometimes they hang up at 60 or so and I'd like to think I would be able still feel comfortable making that longer shot if needed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My longest was my first at 71 yards. Now my average is right around 47 yards. My goal is to shoot them when they are relaxed, good angle, and I'm confident in the setup and the shot. That's why they rarely make it inside 40 for me. On the other hand, I'm usually the one running in on them, so I shoot when I have a good open shot opportunity. I normally hunt solo.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
My closest shot was the length of my arrow. Arrow barely cleared the shelf before entering the bull. He charged in, I was tucked in a spruce and he stopped with me at full draw and his shoulder right at the end of my arrow. Did I aim? Not one single bit. Ran 20 yards and piled up. Crazy hunt.

I practice out to 60 but all my shots have been 40yds or under. Average is mid 30’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot one at 25, poor shot by me
Shot one at 30, steep downhill, hit high, arrow broke 6" deep.
Killed one my buddy shot moments before at 20.
Killed one at 45
Shot one at 20 watched him lay down, legs kicking on his side, get up and leave never to be seen again. Haunts me.
Passed on a gorgeous chocolate bull just over 70.

7-76.

Median I think of 50ish, can't remember the exact yards. Several I never actually ranged the shot distance, just knew what would get it there.

I remember Randy Ulmer stating your best shot is your first good shot. The first opportunity I get at a shot I know I can make I take.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I remember reading on another forum recently that they had compiled something like 1000 Elk harvest data points from bow hunters, and the average shot distance was like 27 or 28 yards.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
Shots have varied over the years. I hunted out of stands quite a bit and everything was under 20 yards. Last decade have been 22 - 50. I practice out to 85 yards just to really dial in my form. The 50 yard shot felt good given that situation (ranged him + flat terrain + he had no idea I was there + no wind) but I try to stay under that distance in general. Conditions and terrain play a big part in setting my limits.

12-45 for kills. Practice to 60 with broadheads. Changing my sight to a slider to start practicing to 100+, with the goal of increasing ethical max distance to 60-70. Prefer under 40, generally spot and stalk in brush/ aspens/ timber so as close as I can get without getting busted.