Aug/Sept boot and sock combo?

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in serious need of an Aug/Sept boot/sock combo. I have Kennetrek Mountain Extremes (400g insulation) for Oct/Nov and some Vasque hiking boots for August deer hunts. But I just went on my first Sept. elk hunt doing 7-10 miles a day and I did not have the right combo.......I have a few pairs of darn tough merino wool socks that I love, but my whole combo was too hot and sweaty. I had to air out my feet and change socks after lunch each day.....

My feet have higher arches, I wear a size 12 running shoe but wear an 11.5 Wide in boots.

What are people suggestions for boots/socks for Aug/Sept mountain hunts?

Thanks!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Schnees timberline boot with Smartwool PhD outdoor light hiking crew sock. Great combo

I'd second that choice. was my go-to for a few years. I am currently running our Kestrel boot with straight up Puma socks from costco when it's real warm out, then swithch to our merino tech socks when it cools off. - matt

Mythewood

FNG
I used to love the Lowa Renegades with Smartwool light hiking socks when hunting out of a base camp, but the last couple pairs I had leaked like a running shoe. Very comfortable hiker right out of the box but not very durable.

Currently using a pair of Crispi Crossovers, and while they needed a bit of time to break them in they are pretty darn comfortable and tough as nails. Wear them with the smart wools as well and am pretty happy but I'm thinking their is probably a better sock to go with.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
My feet seem to sweat about 5 minutes in no matter what boots and socks I wear. I just assumed everyone was that way. Are you all really keeping your feet dry on big hikes or are these just helping a little?

I doubt anyone’s feet are going to stay dry (no sweat) on any significant hike/hunt regardless of what you wear. It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is, you still need appropriate footwear for the conditions/environments. If you need/wear a stiff hiking/mountain boot in Oct & Nov, why would you wear anything less in August & Sept? If you have to pack out an animal with 60-100 pounds on your back, it doesn’t matter if it’s August or November......you need the appropriate footwear. I love my Lowa Zephyr GTX, but there is no way I’d wear them on a mountain hunt where I have a full pack on my back and could potentially have to pack out an elk. It’s just not the appropriate boot (for me) for the conditions. If I was just scouting or in different (less rugged) conditions, the Zephyrs are my number 1 choice.

I wear the lighter weight Darn Tough crew socks with my Lowa Camino GTX boots. I actually enjoy stopping for 10–15 min mid day to take my boots off and let my feet get some air. Good times for a snack.

I like my darn tough socks, but if I’m being honest they really hold onto the sweat and definitely do not help. I currently run smartwool phds and I like them enough, but honestly something lighter for the hot months would be bomb.

OP
DB Cooper

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys! I've got 10 months or so to narrow it down now

I agree with a few of you, taking 15 minutes to dry out my feet and have a snack are sometimes the best part of a day

Thanks again

renagde

WKR
I use Injinji wool liner toe socks. Helps keep the toes separated so no chaffing or hot spots. I used Darn Tough socks over top. My feet never got sweaty and wet and I never had any kind of sores.

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been running Salomon Quest 4D with some lightweight Point 6 Merino socks I got from Sierra trading, has served me well from Aug-Oct. Sierra really is the best place I have found for socks, Lorpen, Point 6 and Smartwool have been my favorites. I am in need of a new pair of boots and this time will probably try the Kuiu Scarpa R-Evo, Scarpa Ribelle HD or Charmoz. I want to try something with HDry instead of Gore-Tex.