Attrition rate of newby traditional archers

I have a few closes friends and a brother that all got into when I did. I’m the only one not shooting wheels. Small sample size but definitely not for everyone.

I was just curious. Out of all the guys that try out traditional archery how many do you think stick with it long term vs how many give it up fairly quick and go back to a wheel bow? I barely even know any guys that tried it out in the first place. There's not much interest in it around here.
I build bows for a living and the majority of my first timers have stuck with it.

OP
C

cck311

FNG
I build bows for a living and the majority of my first timers have stuck with it.
How new are they generally though? I would think that if someone is buying a custom bow from a custom bowyer they have graduated to a bit past the newby stage.

nphunter

WKR
I bought a traditional bow to do one specific hunt in my state, which happens to be hunting older age class mule deer. I love to shoot the recurve and I shot a lot but I also love to kill screaming elk with my bow and still hunt them with a compound. Maybe someday when I feel like I’d done as much as I can with a compound I’ll hunt elk with a recurve.
I plan to keep doing that trad deer hunt every couple of years because it is a super fun hunt and I’d love to kill a mature mule deer with a recurve. I missed a great buck on the hunt last time I did it and passed up on some smaller bucks I could have killed. I stalked within 15 yards of a nice buck and had a 3 point stand up between us and I chose not to shoot him.
I’m not what I consider a trad hunter but really love my trad bow and shoot it well. Some day when regulars archery tags get impossible to get every year I will switch to a trad bow so I can hunt every year.

will16_

FNG
I'm one who dabbles in both. I shoot the recurve for 3D and almost exclusively year-round. I still pick up a compound during the season when I am unable to practice due to law school. One of these years when I am able to practice throughout the season, I may go full time trad, as that's where my heart really is. Ethically though I cannot bring myself to take the recurve when I haven't shot it in two or more weeks.

I think the time commitment to being proficient (or at least keeping skills sharp) is what deters many of people.

quah

FNG
I went from being totally into compound bows, shooting 3D tournaments and working at a friend’s shop tuning bows 3 nights a week to traditional bows 25 years ago. I’ve never even had the urge to shoot a compound in that time. I’ve had friends bring me their newest Hoyt, Mathew’s, Bowtech or what ever and I simply could care less. I may take a shot or two to appease them but it is just not for me anymore. Now you pull a Schafer, Blacktail or Dale Dye out and I’d be drooling all over them.
Something soulful about traditional archery and I have never looked back >>——->

You have to be more interested in the enjoyment you gain from shooting a recurve or longbow. You also must realize that your hunting skills will need to improve to account for the closer shots needed with bows versus compounds. I just enjoy shooting arrows with my longbows and recurves. Killing doesn't come as often as with a compound but when it does it is all the sweeter. I haven't shot a compound since the mid-eighties and I have never regretted it.

Mike

Beendare

WKR
This thread is still kicking......

Some hunts you aren't at much of a disadvantage with a Stickbow; like whitetail hunting, Baited Black bears- namely hunts where you can ambush critters.

Sheep hunting or Desert mule deer spot and stalk....or Sitka Blacktail on the AK islands- those type of hunts put you at a severe disadvantage with a stick bow. I bet the whitetail guys have a higher follow through than guys that hunt out west....but who knows?

I will hunt with my recurve on those tough hunts just because......

I'm like you Beendare, I chose to hunt with recurves and longbows over 35 years ago and I have hunted sheep, elk, mule deer, whitetails, wild hogs, javelina, mountain goats, antelope, mountain lions, caribou, turkeys, and hopefully a moose (if I ever get drawn) with them. I'm really not interested in hunting with a rifle or a compound. That's because I am addicted to shooting with traditional equipment and just love archery.

Mike

most won't give it an honest try. The experience of the traditional hunt is a driving force for those that do and stick with it. I have hunted with traditional 90% of the time the past 10 years.

dirtknap

FNG
I have wanted a nice traditional bow for years. But, being a lefty, I never even saw one to try out...just kids bows and light poundage cheep setups. I finally popped on one from RMS Gear. A Harrison HSS takedown longbow 62" 60# @28. I did some quick research on Harrison bows, and found that they are well made. This one is no exception.

I will say that after 10 bulls, pope and young muley, whitey, multiple pronghorn, that shooting and mastering a compound is fairly easy. Over the years many shots were 40 yards and less. It was time for me to take the plunge. I now have had the bow about 3 weeks and can consistently shoot good groups at 30 yds. You get what you put in...so I'm dumping shafts downrange. There are many good videos and tips out there that have accelerated my progress.
Shooting Easton traditional legacy eichlers. 340's -100 gr. Sunk and a 225 gr. Steel force left bevel. 650 grain total. Fly like darts. Much more feel and connection to the shot, the process..its way better IMO.