Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 Reviews?

I still haven't mounted the Helos yet and
impulsively just bought another Helos 2-12 last week that was on sale. I wish I would've grabbed the 4-20 instead but insomnia and Johnny Walker were running the show.

Now I have both the MOA and MIL versions. I think the MIL scope is gonna replace the swfa 10x on my 700 SPS Tactical. The MOA is destined for an SPR that I still haven't built yet.

I know some people are either all MIL or all MOA, but I like both. I guess you could say I'm biReticle.

Motown

WKR
Anybody have any updates on this scope? Curious how they are holding up so far.

BLJ

WKR
@Motown. A little more reading for you.

Buzby

WKR
Anybody have any updates on this scope? Curious how they are holding up so far.
I’ve only had mine for a month or so, I can’t comment on long term reliability. I swapped one of these for a swfa 3-15 on a Tikka creed. So far I’m loving it. The glass is brighter (not a big deal but it’s noticeable). The locking turrets are great for a hunting rifle, and have a good feel for the price. The center dot on the reticle is big at 12x, but works just fine. I do prefer the SWFA reticle a bit, but the Athlons is acceptable.

Motown

WKR
I’ve only had mine for a month or so, I can’t comment on long term reliability. I swapped one of these for a swfa 3-15 on a Tikka creed. So far I’m loving it. The glass is brighter (not a big deal but it’s noticeable). The locking turrets are great for a hunting rifle, and have a good feel for the price. The center dot on the reticle is big at 12x, but works just fine. I do prefer the SWFA reticle a bit, but the Athlons is acceptable.
Thanks for the feedback Buzby. I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 that is sitting naked right now and I was looking for compact scope that isn’t going to break the bank since I rarely use this rifle. I’ll have to pick one of these up and give it a try.

sndmn11

WKR
Anyone drop test one and run a box test?

Lots to like if it holds zero and tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to do so, but don't have anywhere near the amount of faith that it will pass. I would pass on the pricing I get to anyone who wants to buy one so that I can test it and then send it to them.

20221109_105901-1.jpg

So far, I've replaced a Viper HSLR with the Helos on my TC Dimension 7mm mag using Warne Maxima rings. I was originally going to put my SWFA 3-9 on it but I like it on my 30-06 way too much to want to switch.

This rifle reliably shoots 0.9 - 1.2 MOA groups from the prone, using PPU soft points and Fed Fusion. I haven't shot it with the Helos yet but will as soon as I punch my deer tag. My back pasture is my range and hunting grounds so I haven't wanted to spook the deer by target shooting.

I don't have a ton of ammo for the 7mm but I'm willing to cough up a box or two of the PPU in the name of redneck science. I'll do some light drops (12") after getting a solid baseline for group size. I have no idea if the weaver two piece bases can handle it but we'll find out.

I would love to do so, but don't have anywhere near the amount of faith that it will pass. I would pass on the pricing I get to anyone who wants to buy one so that I can test it and then send it to them.
I have an MOA version I can send you. I haven't built the SPR yet that it's supposed to go on. Probably won't get around to building it for a couple more months so it's no big deal to send you the scope to tear up in the meanwhile.

PM me if you want to work that out.

View attachment 472801

So far, I've replaced a Viper HSLR with the Helos on my TC Dimension 7mm mag using Warne Maxima rings. I was originally going to put my SWFA 3-9 on it but I like it on my 30-06 way too much to want to switch.

This rifle reliably shoots 0.9 - 1.2 MOA groups from the prone, using PPU soft points and Fed Fusion. I haven't shot it with the Helos yet but will as soon as I punch my deer tag. My back pasture is my range and hunting grounds so I haven't wanted to spook the deer by target shooting.

I don't have a ton of ammo for the 7mm but I'm willing to cough up a box or two of the PPU in the name of redneck science. I'll do some light drops (12") after getting a solid baseline for group size. I have no idea if the weaver two piece bases can handle it but we'll find out.

Let us know how it fares with the drop tests.

I have an MOA version I can send you. I haven't built the SPR yet that it's supposed to go on. Probably won't get around to building it for a couple more months so it's no big deal to send you the scope to tear up in the meanwhile.

PM me if you want to work that out.

giphy.gif

Muttly

WKR
Was gonna order the MIL version w center dot, fat fingered it and just got the MOA, cross hair version in the mail today.
For those who,ve tried both versions, which do you prefer, MIL or MOA version?
I, m just putting this on a 22, so fully acknowledge I might be pole vaulting over mole hills..