Athlon Cronus Gen II 10x42 = No thank you.

Just returned them to the vendor. Hated the ergonomics. Insane diopter on the focus barrel moved whenever I held my gun against my chest, which is much of the time when I'm on a stalk or quick hike pace. I could also move it in one direction with almost no pressure on the "lock" mechanism. Uncomfortable eye pieces. Set all the way out you can't get the full circle view without holding them tightly against your face.

I wanted to love them but my $290 Vortex Talon HDs are better ergonomically and work as well or better for spotting. Still lookin for a better replacement at a reasonable price ($500 - $1000).

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Try some Hawkes. They've got some good choices in that range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tony

WKR
Just bought a set of Kowa BD 2 10x42 from doug at Cameraland.
Little bit I've played with them, they are nice.

DLASURE2

FNG
I recently did the exact same thing as you. I purchased the Athlon 10x42 and had to move on I was hoping the Athlon would fill the role of my new truck binoculars since I do not like to leave my Zeiss or Kowas in the truck. I purchased a pair of GPO's and love them and to my surprise they hold their own against my Zeiss Conquest HD and Kowa Genesis

nphunter

WKR
Used Vortex Razors are good glass, light, good ergonomic,s and can be had for $600ish. I think it would be hard to beat a set of $500-$600 Razors, maybe if you find a good deal on some Euro's or Meostars but that's been tough lately, the meostars are bulkier and heavier than the Razors so it depends on what is important to you. They are both great binos but both will have to be purchased used to be in your price range.

OP
Mike Islander
I tallied up the number of binos I have purchased and just decided on Swaro ELs. One set for the rest of my hunting life (until I lose them). Yep, $2000+. Sold a domain name recently, so it's house money.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Gone4Days

WKR
Not sure why Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides aren’t more popular in the “budget” class. You can get a pair for less than $500. Good glass, awesome low light performance, great ergos, locking diopter, lightweight and made in Japan. Not sure what more you could ask for in that price range.

If I haven’t upgraded to some Swaro’s, I’d still be rocking them.

Binos and boots are two of the most subjective pieces of gear. The athlons work for me and are outperforming my vortex diamondback HDs. I haven’t owned anything above $500 yet. Sorry to hear they didn’t work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am happy with my choice of Sig Zulu7 in 10x42. Good ergos, wide FOV and bright compared to my son's Viper HDs.
I got them 'open box' for $425 OTD.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to find some Conquest HDs.

OP
Mike Islander
Binos and boots are two of the most subjective pieces of gear. The athlons work for me and are outperforming my vortex diamondback HDs. I haven’t owned anything above $500 yet. Sorry to hear they didn’t work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The number one issue for me was the diopter adjustment. One afternoon of turkey hunting demonstrated that the diopter wouldn't stay set. Pretty sure the cause was holding my gun against my chest while hiking with the binos hanging around my neck. That's completely normal and what I do with any bino I am wearing. I could also move it with only light pressure on the lock. So that was a disqualifier for me. The eyepieces were also far less comfortable than my old Vortex Talons and were more prone to shadowing. Finally, they just weren't all that much better than my Talon HDs in view to my eyes.