Athlon Cronus g2 10x42 vs maven b1.2 10x42

Teegan.k

Banned
I’ve been looking at the maven b1.2 10x42. I currently got some Athlon Cronus g2 10x42 for $361 just recently at scheels. I compared them to the c series and liked the Athlon better. Is it worth it to jump to the b1.2?

The Cronus G2s are an absolute steal at that price and nothing I’ve seen can compare with them until approaching $1k. Are the B1.2s a better binocular? Optically, they are a smidge brighter and crisper with a bigger sweet-spot and less CA. But the Cronus is exceptional for the price and not too far behind. The big difference for me is in handling - here the B1.2s will be obviously better - better balanced, feel lighter in the hand, better focuser, better feel to the armor, etc.

My Cronus G2s live in my truck and I often pull them out as my backup binocular. I enjoy occasional use and am still amazed at the optical quality for the price. Are the B1.2s better? Yes. But you’ll have to decide if it is worth the price difference.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of b1.2s and they are pretty good. I wish I would’ve looked at the used market more but for a grand I don’t feel the need to upgrade. I have thought about it a couple times when I saw some Zeiss victorys go for $1400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Teegan.k

Banned
I have a pair of b1.2s and they are pretty good. I wish I would’ve looked at the used market more but for a grand I don’t feel the need to upgrade. I have thought about it a couple times when I saw some Zeiss victorys go for $1400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanna sell yours haha?

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cronus G2 are GREAT in PERFECT conditions. Outside of that, they are terrible. In low light terrible, glare from the sun terrible, blackouts when panning almost terrible.
There is simply no contest when comparing them to the Maven B series binos. I’ve had both, and currently own the B.6s…..there is no contest. Don’t even look at the Cronus, waste of $400.

Don’t even look at the Cronus, waste of $400.
Not everyone can afford to spend $1k+ on a binocular. The OP spent $361 for the Cronus G2 10x42. Having owned and compared scores of binoculars I simply cannot think of any other binocular that can compete with the Cronus G2 at that price. Currently, my main glass is a Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, which are obviously superior to the Athlon. But when things come up unexpectedly I enjoy occasional use of the Cronus G2 and never regretted buying them.

Also own(ed) Maven B1.2 8x42, B2 9x45, and B6 10x50. Personally feel the B6 is clearly the ”cherry“ of that group. The B1.2 attempts to push the laws of physics by combining ultra high light transmission, wide FOV and extremely short focal length (there are limits). Anyway, I find the B6 view richer, more detailed and overall easier than the B1.2.

Are the Maven B Series Binoculars better than the Athlon Cronus G2? Yes, but they are literally 3x what the OP paid for the Athlon.

Here is a partial list of other binoculars in the ~$1k range that compete very well with the Maven B Series:
- Nikon Monarch HG (IMO better than B1.2)
- Zeiss Conquest HD
- Tract Toric
- GPO Passion HD (No personal ex, but all reviews positive)

Other binos that retail well above but sometimes ~$1k on sale
- Meopta MeoStar
- Kowa Genesis

Not everyone can afford to spend $1k+ on a binocular. The OP spent $361 for the Cronus G2 10x42. Having owned and compared scores of binoculars I simply cannot think of any other binocular that can compete with the Cronus G2 at that price. Currently, my main glass is a Zeiss Victory SF 10x42, which are obviously superior to the Athlon. But when things come up unexpectedly I enjoy occasional use of the Cronus G2 and never regretted buying them.

Also own(ed) Maven B1.2 8x42, B2 9x45, and B6 10x50. Personally feel the B6 is clearly the ”cherry“ of that group. The B1.2 attempts to push the laws of physics by combining ultra high light transmission, wide FOV and extremely short focal length (there are limits). Anyway, I find the B6 view richer, more detailed and overall easier than the B1.2.

Are the Maven B Series Binoculars better than the Athlon Cronus G2? Yes, but they are literally 3x what the OP paid for the Athlon.

Here is a partial list of other binoculars in the ~$1k range that compete very well with the Maven B Series:
- Zeiss Conquest HD
- Tract Toric

- Meopta MeoStar
- Kowa Genesis
You prefer the b6 10x50 over the b1.2 10x42? I also was looking at the tract Toric but couldn’t find many reviews. I was looking at both of those and just couldn’t decide. I definitely feel the Athlon was a steal at $361. I might just keep them instead of trying to sell.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

- Zeiss Conquest HD
- Tract Toric

- Meopta MeoStar
- Kowa Genesis
I agree with everything you said. I will say, it’s very possible the G2s I received were a bad representation of the binocular. I found mine almost unusable the last hour of light, and at times the glare was so bad during the middle of the day, I couldn’t look through them.

In any case, I fully expect there will be different options and experiences; this was mine and I would purchase several binoculars over the G2s in the $400-$500 range because they will provide a better overall experience. Yes the G2s in the right conditions are 👌🏼, but outside of that, it’s a difficult viewing experience.
I hope the OP enjoys the G2s and gets to spend many hours behind them.

I have spent time behind the Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 and they provide a beautiful viewing experience. The depth of field is better than the B6s and they are almost and I’m mean almost as sharp as the Swaro EL 8.5x42

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
- Zeiss Conquest HD
- Tract Toric

- Meopta MeoStar
- Kowa Genesis
Agree with your list. Monarchs are an excellent glass for the dollar. Conquests are always a rock-solid choice. Torics are super optics. (No experience with GPO). Used MeoStar's are awesome glass as well.
The only other option I'd add is to maybe toss in another $300-ish for a used set of SLC's and smile all the way to your hunting blind. You'd never want for better glass.

cytherian

FNG
^ Thanks for sharing that. Yeah, I've seen some people mention that too, not great for low light conditions, but otherwise full daytime is awesome.

dmcp

FNG
How about the b1 binoculars? I've seen a deal on these used and am comparing them with the cronus, which are 399. Any opinions on how the older Mavens stack up?

Hotmail

FNG
Cronus G2 are GREAT in PERFECT conditions. Outside of that, they are terrible. In low light terrible, glare from the sun terrible, blackouts when panning almost terrible.
There is simply no contest when comparing them to the Maven B series binos. I’ve had both, and currently own the B.6s…..there is no contest. Don’t even look at the Cronus, waste of $400.
The $62.00 ScoopX UHDs selling on eBay literally whoops both of my Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2s that I recently bought. I simply cannot believe it and so I even just recently bought a third CRONUS UHD Gen 2 awaiting delivery to see if the first two were defective.

I now use a Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 to compare as a base for comparison reference on very good optics and the ScoopX UHDs are so far the closest lower priced Binoculars by comparison surpassing the Midas UHD Gen 2 and Cronus UHD Gen 2 and Viper HDs in 10x42 and the Chinese Monarch M7 and 7 series.

You need at least a Zeiss Conquest HD in order to edge the ScoopX UHDs out.

ScoopX UHDs perfect truck Binoculars by far. If they're stolen no sweat they're dirt cheap. Just don't buy them from Amazon for $249 or even $150 on sale or Gosky for $299.

Hotmail

FNG
How about the b1 binoculars? I've seen a deal on these used and am comparing them with the cronus, which are 399. Any opinions on how the older Mavens stack up?
Aak seller or dealers of they (Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2s) have serial numbers on the Binoculars themselves before buying. Last NEW ones I recently bought didn't have any serial numbers.

Best to buy the ScoopX UHDs for $62 plus shipping from eBay if you're interested in a better Binoculars compared to the Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2s based on already buying two of them so far still currently have both and the ScoopX doesn't Make me feel sick looking through them compared to looking through BOTH of my TWO CRONUS UHD Gen 2s. Yes I recently bought 2 NEW Athlon Cronus UHD Gen 2s from different sellers/dealers and actually have a 3rd one I just bought awaiting delivery to see if the first 2 are defective because how the hell can a $62 ScoopX UHD be actually clearer and better quality than a $499 CRONUS? Based in the first TWO CRONUS UHD G2s I compared to FIVE different ScoopX UHDs for sample variance I purchased from all different sellers on ebay and all used condition with damaged boxes for cheaer than normal due to box damages. ALL FIVE ScoopX UHDs were perfect no variance whatsoever while the first CRONUS UHD Gen 2 was worse than the second one didn't make me feel as sick looking through them but still a little nauseating to look through nonetheless.

Hopefully the third CRONUS UHD Gen 2 doesn't make me feel sick.

One of my favorites to use is my NIKON Monarch HG 10x42s and the ScoopX is surprisingly close optically actually looks a hair clearer edge to edge. The ScoopX are also noticeably clearer sharper night and day difference also in edge to edge clarity I'd say they're far superior than my brand new Japan made Leupold BX4s I feel very terrible buying and wasted a lot of money on and I really like Leupold.

I like Maven's specifically the B5 18x56 however I personally wouldn't buy their B1 series. I'd rather save money and buy a far superior SIG Zulu 9 instead both in 9x45 and 11x45 second hand for the price of the B1s.

I don't like Zeiss due to questionable warranty practices and long wait time for service but would buy a Conquest HD for $700 - $800 before even considering buying a non B5 Maven if I wanted to really blow some serious money. I'd rather buy a NIKON Monarch HG at full regular price before buying a Maven B1 as well but I won't since I already own one and giud enough that I don't need to buy a duplicate ti check for sample variance.