Arrow weight and speed

TheHammer

WKR
Your setup needs to work for you! Whatever you end up using for a combination you need the time with it to build the confidence to ethically harvest. A lot of opinions for actual products. Some guys go down the FOC rabbit hole. Some guys swear by mechanical heads, others are never going to be persuaded off of fixed blades. This brand/material or diameter arrow… exc.

nphunter

WKR
If I were hunting grizzly it would be with 500gr arrow, with something like a Valkyrie on the front. Solid, sharp and a steep blade angle.

For elk pretty much anything that shoots well and is sharp will work. An elk won’t charge you after the hit, they have way less fur and fat too.

MattB

WKR
The arrow I took on my grizzly hunt was a 425 gr. Axis 400 with a 125 gr. 2" Vortex steel broadhead. Never got to see how they worked unfortunately, but I've killed a lot of other game with a similar arrow. Likely in the 260 fps range (60#/27.5" DL).

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have strong opinions regarding arrow diameter, especially when it comes to Elk? Any anecdotal evidence that smaller diameter arrows fly more true, penetrate better, etc.....and if you want to be even more specific, any strong opinions between 4mm and 5mm?

JStol5

WKR
Does anyone have strong opinions regarding arrow diameter, especially when it comes to Elk? Any anecdotal evidence that smaller diameter arrows fly more true, penetrate better, etc.....and if you want to be even more specific, any strong opinions between 4mm and 5mm?
I trust 5mm over 4mm because of component systems. I’ve found that a HIT with a collar is significantly more durable than a half out/outsert.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I trust 5mm over 4mm because of component systems. I’ve found that a HIT with a collar is significantly more durable than a half out/outsert.
That makes a lot of sense; have you noticed a difference in flight/accuracy between 5mm and 6 or 6.5mm?

JStol5

WKR
That makes a lot of sense; have you noticed a difference in flight/accuracy between 5mm and 6 or 6.5mm?
I used to shoot gold tip hunters and now I shoot axis. I honestly think the shooter makes the biggest difference. I robinhooded gold tip hunters but haven’t robinhooded an axis, for example. Even thought it’s a smaller diameter, etc. I’ve considered switching back to 6.5 or 6mm for a cost basis.

Plenty of people kill animals with 6.5 or 6mm arrows. I shoot axis because I feel like they were the best compromise of quality, durability, weight, and price. I use the standard HIT with an iron will collar. I shoot them at 500 grains roughly, get around 270 FPS out of my bow. Very pleased with them.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot gold tip hunters and now I shoot axis. I honestly think the shooter makes the biggest difference. I robinhooded gold tip hunters but haven’t robinhooded an axis, for example. Even thought it’s a smaller diameter, etc. I’ve considered switching back to 6.5 or 6mm for a cost basis.

Plenty of people kill animals with 6.5 or 6mm arrows. I shoot axis because I feel like they were the best compromise of quality, durability, weight, and price. I use the standard HIT with an iron will collar. I shoot them at 500 grains roughly, get around 270 FPS out of my bow. Very pleased with them.
Really appreciate the reply; super helpful to hear about others experiences and their setups so I can hopefully tailor my approach and spend less time/money having to tinker. Thank you!

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I know a lot of very experienced compound bowhunters, guys that own Archery shops, Pros that you would recognize their names and many you wouldn’t that are stone cold killers with a bow, a couple guys have the NA slam…..

Its funny how these guys have all tried different setups ….and all have come to the same conclusion for what works best;

1) Intense 3D practice,
2) BH tuning their bow for perfect arrow flight
3) and all are in that +/- 430-500g arrow range

The Trad guys tend to shoot a slightly heavier arrow

bkennedy2

FNG
Skill is going to play a bigger role than the gear/arrow setup, but generally a heavier arrow with higher FOC is going to penetrate better and be more forgiving of an imperfect arrow flight. I've never hunted grizzlies or elk with a bow yet, but if I did I personally would want a 500+ grain arrow with 18+% FOC. On my bow an arrow like that would be going under 270fps. The slower the quieter as well. And take that all with a grain of salt because everyone is going to have a different opinion.

Beendare

WKR
Skill is going to play a bigger role than the gear/arrow setup, but generally a heavier arrow with higher FOC is going to penetrate better and be more forgiving of an imperfect arrow flight.
Jake Kaminski, Jay Barrs and Levi Morgan....all disagree with the statement above....

And anyone saying, "But thats target" is totally missing the point....its accuracy...which is numero uno. I know Jay Barrs hunts....and so does Levi....

And then there are the guys that engineered, manufacture and test these arrows to death
Easton on FOC

[From Easton]
Generally, for target archery, an F.O.C. range of 7-15% indoors, and 10-15% outdoors, will fly with good stability, optimal momentum, and accurate trajectory from 0-90 meters. Past this range can cause vertical dispersion at longer distances, especially with lower overall mass arrows. Excessive FOC (especially past 20%) can also make finger release consistency much more critical, as the inertia of a too-heavy point can make the arrow over-react to slight differences in finger release. Arrows with lower FOC values (under 7-10%) will not track as well in outdoor windy conditions.

Easton recommends a 10-15% F.O.C. for hunting setups requiring greater momentum, and optimal accuracy – especially for longer distance shots.

these 👆guys are such a better source than some hack internet influencer. The very high FOC claims have never been proven with a bow and arrow....Ashby based his studies on Rubber bands and soda straws.

bkennedy2

FNG
Jake Kaminski, Jay Barrs and Levi Morgan....all disagree with the statement above....

And anyone saying, "But thats target" is totally missing the point....its accuracy...which is numero uno. I know Jay Barrs hunts....and so does Levi....

And then there are the guys that engineered, manufacture and test these arrows to death
Easton on FOC

[From Easton]
Generally, for target archery, an F.O.C. range of 7-15% indoors, and 10-15% outdoors, will fly with good stability, optimal momentum, and accurate trajectory from 0-90 meters. Past this range can cause vertical dispersion at longer distances, especially with lower overall mass arrows. Excessive FOC (especially past 20%) can also make finger release consistency much more critical, as the inertia of a too-heavy point can make the arrow over-react to slight differences in finger release. Arrows with lower FOC values (under 7-10%) will not track as well in outdoor windy conditions.

Easton recommends a 10-15% F.O.C. for hunting setups requiring greater momentum, and optimal accuracy – especially for longer distance shots.

these 👆guys are such a better source than some hack internet influencer. The very high FOC claims have never been proven with a bow and arrow....Ashby based his studies on Rubber bands and soda straws.

I’m certainly not going to argue against Easton so I will admit that I am probably wrong about it being more forgiving of an imperfect arrow flight. I don’t shoot competitively, I don't finger release, and I’m certainly not taking shots at animals from “longer distances” (90+ meters? I keep it under 40) so I’m not sure that most of the above applies to me.

I will say however that I saw a big difference in the penetration on the animals I killed this year vs the ones I killed last year after switching to heavier arrows with higher FOC. About 435gr and 14% last year to 550gr and 18% this year. No pass throughs on deer last year (3 arrows). All impacts were pass throughs this year (2).

Anecdotal, I know. But I’m personally going to keep doing what I’m doing.
I did say "take all that with a grain of salt" I'm not claiming to be an expert, just voicing my opinion based on my experience.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Easton on FOC

[From Easton]

these guys are such a better source than some hack internet influencer. The very high FOC claims have never been proven with a bow and arrow....Ashby based his studies on Rubber bands and soda straws.

Levi also says Swhacker is the best broadhead on the market.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk