Arrow Speed Question

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a newb, been shooting for quite some time.

I am currently shooting a 480 TAW Black Eagle Deep Impact and it has been a great arrow. Looking to flatten my trajectory a bit for western hunting (i.e. elk / mulies).

Have a 29" DL and shooting 75# DW. With the Deep Impacts, my arrow is flying right at 290 FPS.

Looking at something in the 420 TAW range and running into some issues when playing with the Pinwheel software. I have always tried to keep my arrow between 280-290 FPS because that is what everyone said for broadhead tuneability. At 420 TAW, my arrow speed is going to be around 315 FPS.

Am I creating a problem?

I'd prefer to hear from those who have played in this arena rather than those that are going off of what they heard while sitting at the water cooler at the local archery shop.

OP
cvanman

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Trophy taker ATAC 1st choice or QAD Exodus 2nd choice

I have tuned smaller fixed heads at those speeds. They are touchy.

Not only does the equipment get finicky, you gotta be perfect as well.

It's doable, but I think your gains are pretty marginal. I'd be happy at 290+.

OP
cvanman

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'll stick to the deep impacts

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Like most have stated I’d keep it the same especially if you’re shooting well with your current 480gr arrow. Myself personally, I like a little heavier arrow for elk so I’d leave it at 480gr @ 290.

290 fps with a 480 grain arrow sounds awesome. I wouldn't change anything. Shooting 290 is faster than a lot of people shoot. And if you go to shooting around 315 fps tuning is going to get a lot more difficult. If it were me I wouldn't change a thing. That sounds like a killer setup!!

Laramie

WKR
My current setup shoots 318 fps (316 to 320 on 10 shot groups through the chrono) with a 430 grain total weight. Fixed are a PIA to tune so I shoot all mechanicals. If you want to stay with fixed blades, I would stay with your current setup. If you want to change to flatten out trajectory, I'm glad to share what has worked for me regarding mechanicals on elk down to antelope. They fly perfect and have passed through elk out to 50 for me and my hunting buddies.