Arrow flight,

Felton

WKR
I’ve been shooting a 525 gr arrow at 261 fps. Overall I’ve been happy with the set up.

Today I grabbed one of my old radial x weave arrows (calculated 400 grs) and shot it through my crono. It’s 297 fps. (Nice!)

I started at 20 yards poi is practically the same. Back at 30 yards I’m a little high 45 yards even more so, whats really interesting is at 58 yards using my 45 yard pin I’m about 6 inches high.

My current heavy arrows have 75 grain inserts with the veins set at right helical.

My old lighter arrows have a regular insert (23 grns) and veins fletched to the right (not helical)

So is the right helical really slowing down my arrows and the heavy point dragging it down even more? I realize I’m starting almost 40 fps slower but 6 inches high at 60 yards with my 45 yard pin seems extreme.

125 gr is quite a bit of weight...not surprising that it's causing a significant POI difference at longer ranges. I doubt that the difference in fletching offset/helical angle is having much of an effect on POI.

OP
Felton

Felton

WKR
You’re kinda making want to hunt with these 400 gr arrows. Maybe I’ll add some brass inserts and see how they perform.

86 that, I’m sure I’ll be under spined then. New arrows it is!

At distance, helical does induce a lot of drag and will cause the arrow to drop more. But you’re not comparing two like weight arrows, so I think the weight is your Biggest factor.

hoytrules

FNG
I shoot 385 gn arrows on one set up and 450 on the other. If I switch arrow on the setups there is over a foot difference in impact on the target at 60 yards. Jsu for comparison.

nphunter

WKR
There is defiantly a huge difference in trajectory with 40fps, not sure why you would be surprised. Lots of people say the difference is negligible but that's a bunch of BS, I like to be somewhere between those two numbers and I'm happy. 280ish is a good happy medium.