Arrow build help

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Mathews v3: Draw weight is a touch over 72 and considering getting the 75lb mod
Looking to buy some Easton axis arrow shafts

1. Pros and cons the 5mm or 4mm arrows
2. Gonna go with 4 fletch aae max stealth fletchings.
3. Iron will components 25gr HIT 25gr impact collar and 100gr point.
4. Arrow length from throat of nock will be 29.5

Will a 250 spine arrow be sufficient for this set up even if i get the 75lb mod? According to the chart I believe I will be good. Any tips or recommendations welcome

Local bow shop set me up with an arrow that was underspined originally so decided to build my own arrows from now on.

Similar thing happened to me about 5 years ago. Shop had my draw length wrong and borderline on spine. Once I corrected my draw length, I was way underspined. If you’re going to build your own arrows, I’d recommend getting software like Archer’s Advantage or others. It’s about the cost of a single shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The benefit of a 4mm arrow is less wind drift and (in theory) better penetration due to its smaller OD. The downside of 4mm is limited insert choice: either an expensive, failure-prone standard (8-32) thread half-out/outsert or a Deep Six (6-40) thread hidden insert (HIT). The main benefit of 5mm over 4mm is the ability to use a standard thread HIT. IMO 5mm is a better choice unless you already have Deep Six broadheads you want to continue using.

I'd recommend 250-260 spine at your specs. Below is qSpine output for a 29.5" 260 5mm Axis with 150 gr on the front and 44 gr on the back at 75 lbs (edit: assuming 30" draw length, 27" ATA, 80% let-off):
Screenshot_20220116-140803_qSpine.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The benefit of a 4mm arrow is less wind drift and (in theory) better penetration due to its smaller OD. The downside of 4mm is limited insert choice: either an expensive, failure-prone standard (8-32) thread half-out/outsert or a Deep Six (6-40) thread hidden insert (HIT). The main benefit of 5mm over 4mm is the ability to use a standard thread HIT. IMO 5mm is a better choice unless you already have Deep Six broadheads you want to continue using.

I'd recommend 250-260 spine at your specs. Below is qSpine output for a 29.5" 260 5mm Axis with 150 gr on the front and 44 gr on the back at 75 lbs:
View attachment 368529
Ya, but you don't even know his draw length. That will make a HUGE difference in whether a 300 or 250 will work better. With a 29.5" arrow I would assume a longer draw length, but not sure we can assume that.

Ya, but you don't even know his draw length. That will make a HUGE difference in whether a 300 or 250 will work better. With a 29.5" arrow I would assume a longer draw length, but not sure we can assume that.
Fair point. I ran qSpine assuming a 30" draw length. I also don't know what V3 sub-model (27 or 31) or let-off (80% or 85%) he's shooting, both of which will have a minor effect on dynamic spine.

Interesting to note that all the spine charts and free spine calculators I've seen don't ask for draw length (just arrow length) even though DL does affect dynamic spine.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t remember what my exact draw length is. I know what it is ballpark. But that 29.5 length arrow is even with my riser. Without a point obviously.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Fair point. I ran qSpine assuming a 30" draw length. I also don't know what V3 sub-model (27 or 31) or let-off (80% or 85%) he's shooting, both of which will have a minor effect on dynamic spine.

Interesting to note that all the spine charts and free spine calculators I've seen don't ask for draw length (just arrow length) even though DL does affect dynamic spine.
I believe I’m 28.5 draw length. But I don’t remember exactly. I know that damn close. Could be 29 though. I remember we had to tweak it from original set up to get it right.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider

Also it’s the 31

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's one reason why I ignore them, and just go off of personal experience. Shooting almost 33" draw at 75lbs with a 30" carbon to carbon arrow, I have quite a bit of testing experience between the different spines. I can make 300's work pretty darn well with fixed blade heads, but 250's seem to be more consistent through all shooting positions and grips etc. I'm not exactly sure where that draw length cutoff is for that, but I do know that at 70lbs 300's have worked in most every situation for me. The difference between 33" and 30" draw is worth 30fps, so that would also equate to a 15lb difference in draw weight as well in the equation.

Odd that they don't use draw length when it has a profound effect on every calculation......just as draw weight, arrow length, and type of bow do. It's so much more fun just doing the testing ourselves for real world. More expensive.......but more fun.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I’m 28.5 draw length. But I don’t remember exactly. I know that damn close. Could be 29 though. I remember we had to tweak it from original set up to get it right.
Also is there a way to tell your draw length by looking at the cam?
My arrow length carbon to carbon is 29 1/4
I’m definitely going to look into buying one of those arrow apps like mentioned above. Also did not buy an arrow saw, otherwise I’d start out a little longer and trim it down to tune it. But I’m going to order them cut to length

Also is there a way to tell your draw length by looking at the cam?
My arrow length carbon to carbon is 29 1/4
I’m definitely going to look into buying one of those arrow apps like mentioned above. Also did not buy an arrow saw, otherwise I’d start out a little longer and trim it down to tune it. But I’m going to order them cut to length
Look at the label on the mods then reference the chart below.
mathews-vxr-switchweight-mods.jpg
download.png

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
29” draw. Definitely going to order a 75lb mod and have bow shop put that on too.

FWIW qSpine puts you nearly halfway between 250 and 300 with the inputs listed below. Quite likely 250 or 300 spine either one will work just fine. If you think you might want to add more point weight in the future, I'd lean toward 250-260. If not, go with 300 and maybe trim the arrow a little further down to around 28". As @5MilesBack alluded to above, spine charts/software don't account for every variable and at best yield approximate starting points...actually shooting various bow/arrow combinations is the only way to truly hone in on "optimal" spine.

29.25" shaft length
150 gr front weight
44 gr rear weight (4 vanes at 8.8 gr/ea + 9 gr nock)
75 lb draw weight
29" draw length
6" brace height
31" ATA length
80% let-off
342 fps IBO speed
Screenshot_20220117-131532_qSpine.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible to over spine? I have seen this discussed many times to no resolution which makes me think probably not...

For what it’s worth, Archer’s Advantage produced similar results.
d76feda7767f64e0e43314980fe481d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleR1985

WKR
28.5” carbon to carbon arrow. 76lb/30” bow shooting 520gr arrow, with 225 total weight up front. 290ish fps. 300 spine tuned up just fine with fixed heads. 250 spine works fine too.

Trial153

WKR
If you're overspined it might just affect how forgiving the setup is. I always shoot for the weakest spine that I can tune to because that always seems to give me the best consistent accuracy.

Agree 100%. I don’t find builds that are over stiff particularly forgiving. Just because I can tune a arrow to a bow doesn’t mean it’s the best choice.

I like an arrow that falls right in the middle of spine graph.

Lots of good information on spines above. As for the 4mm vs 5mm axis. I just bought the 5mm Axis Match Grade. I was debating between the 4mm and 5mm also. The part that I just didn't like about the 4mm is limited components and needing deep six stuff. If you go with a 5mm shaft you will have more options for accessories then you can think of. Where as a 4mm you have very limited options when it comes to components. Another thing that pushed me away from 4mm is that there isn't really any good lighted nock options for 4mm. If I were you I would choose a 5mm, but choose whatever arrow fits your style of hunting.