Arizona mule deer draw units

Wheels

WKR
For you guys and gals building points in AZ, do you think it’s worth chasing the point creep for the archery draw units? I currently have 4 points, but looking at the current point creep it doesn’t look like I’ll ever catch up in the 12’s, 13’s or 3’s.
I could draw one of other 2 draw units and quit buying points, then get into the OTC lottery.
What are the rest of you doing?

I think it depends on what your other options are. Are you able to fill all your available hunting time off, with hunts? If yes I would apply for the best. If not, I would get aggressive and try to draw.

There are multiple hunts I can draw but don’t have the time for, around the west. So I apply for great hunts in a lot of the draws. If I draw, sweet. If not it’s not a huge deal because I’ll be hunting anyway on almost for sure thing tags.

OP
Wheels

Wheels

WKR
From what I’m seeing, the upper tier draw units creep about a point a year so if that continues I’ll never catch up.
Right now it’s not a big deal since I already applied for an elk tag, but after I draw the elk tag, I’m done applying so I’ll burn the deer points too I guess.
Too old to start over.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Think it all depends. How set are you in archery hunting? The "other" units wouldn't be one's I would be willing to use a draw option on. Used to hunt one regularly for archery when it was OTC. Unfortunately, it gained to much attention. Pressure was very high. Neighboring units had same quality and quantity of deer. Not sure how much has changed for NR- for that OTC lottery- how quickly they sell out, ect

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You won’t catch up. BUT if you WANT to hunt one of those units, there are non bonus point tags…you can’t draw them if you don’t apply. If I wanted to hunt a certain unit, I’d keep going for it and work with the otc options available until I did.

I've been in the "guaranteed draw" according to gohunt and toprut the past 2 years for the unit I want to draw in AZ, but each year it's taken one more point than i have to draw due to point creep. So even if you think you have enough points to draw it, it's likely one more.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Sitting on 19 points now. Hoping in 8+ years when I retire and spend a month hunting and scouting the strip for somthin special. In te mean time I’ll take my tags other places and hone my skills for the tag when it comes

I'm so happy that folks understand that only those units hold B&C mule deer and the rest of the state only has forkies.

Edit: The tone is sarcastic but seriously, there are big deer in every unit.