Arizona late rifle 18B tag

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just drew my first Arizona tag. It is the late rifle for 18B 17A 17B 19B 20A. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this hunt and can say what to most likely expect or any general tips. Thanks in advance and good luck to all in the draws!

AZBG

FNG
Get a good map and study it. There is a lot of private land in those units to work around. Roads can be in poor condition depending on weather. Best strategy will probably be to get up high somewhere and glass. 350"+ bulls get taken there every year but I wouldn't pass any mature 6pt especially since it's a one week hunt.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Get a good map and study it. There is a lot of private land in those units to work around. Roads can be in poor condition depending on weather. Best strategy will probably be to get up high somewhere and glass. 350"+ bulls get taken there every year but I wouldn't pass any mature 6pt especially since it's a one week hunt.
Thank you for the reply. This is a month or so long season if I remember correctly. Are you thinking of the same hunt?

Wheels

WKR
You might give JP Vincente a call, he owns Big Chino Outfitters and they hunt those units.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
You might give JP Vincente a call, he owns Big Chino Outfitters and they hunt those units.
Thanks for the heads up on that for sure but I'll more than likely just do it on my own.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Be prepared to put a lot of miles on your truck. I helped on the early tag a few years ago and can offer you some incite, but early and late are two different hunts. Shoot me a PM.

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Be prepared to put a lot of miles on your truck. I helped on the early tag a few years ago and can offer you some incite, but early and late are two different hunts. Shoot me a PM.
Thank you I will for sure. I'm def prepared for a tough hunt with a lot of time and miles but I think it's doable.

Thomas11

WKR
I had the early in 18a. Didn’t see an elk for 8. Killed a nice bull at the end but when they say it’s limited opp hunt that’s the truth. Very nomadic elk and not many elk and lots of country for the few of them to hide in

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
I had the early in 18a. Didn’t see an elk for 8. Killed a nice bull at the end but when they say it’s limited opp hunt that’s the truth. Very nomadic elk and not many elk and lots of country for the few of them to hide in
Glad you got it done. Persistence usually pays off. Looking forward to a good challenge and most of all the fact of hunting some new country!

Hnthrdr

WKR
JP is a great guide, and if you had the money I’d contact Corey with Vaquero Outfitters at the ORO’s they pull dinosaurs off that place. Both great outfits

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
VERY TOUGH HUNT...accompanied a friend on his hunt, Prescott-AZ resident, 3 years ago.
He had scouted 3 units extensively. Even had 9 cams up on water sources. For 3 months, only 1 cam had images of elk and only 5 cows at that. Way more deer came to water than elk.

We did find some elk on private land. Over course of 7 days, checked them. Although the elk moved, they stayed on private lands.

Last day of his hunt, a truck stopped, guide & his client. Drove by each other for a few days in 18a/20a.
THEY asked us if we had spotted any elk!

OP
S

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Never posted an update on how the hunt went. In short, I got my ass kicked lol. But I did shoot a damn big cow on my 6th day of hunting. I was waiting to find a bull but soon realized I would gladly take a cow due to low sightings. I saw lots of elk sign daily yet I couldn't get eyes on the suckers. The terrain was kind of pleasant to hunt honestly besides not being able to see the elk. I'm terrible at glassing though I think since I have an extremely hard time sitting still. I literally did not glass one elk. The cow I killed was coming into a water hole at last light, this was after a 10 mile loop that day and was back to within a mile of the truck at that water hole. It was tough staying motivated being by myself and not seeing elk but I held out and got some motivation here and there from a friend over the phone. I loved hunting Arizona and can't wait to do it again with a hunting buddy this time. It was my first time to the southwest and hunting is a great way to see the scenery! Thanks for all the help and tips from you all as I've got done fine eating meat now.

Attachments

• Snapchat-701573475.jpg
    Snapchat-701573475.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapchat-321362835.jpg
    Snapchat-321362835.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 29