Arizona desert Mule deer: the sequel

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Did this hunt a few years ago with dad and managed to have some success. Also live posted that one too for your enjoyment if you care to look you can find it.

Anyway when trying to find where to go this year dad suggested we try again for the same unit we hit a couple years ago and he got his first in. Despite having zero points we managed to pull the tags again for unit 28. Turned out the hunts over thanksgiving so that might have had something to do with it.

Anyway we are on day 2 now. Yesterday was weird one given that the rain moved in the night before. Low clouds and fog pretty much stopped all glassing. Weather looks better today but the chance of rain has me perplexed as to what to do. If anyone has any wisdom of hunting in the rain in the low desert I would love to hear it.

Also more of the same in regards to other people. The road leading the the wilderness areas looked like a parking lot so we crossed that off quickly. And I’ve still got people in trucks watching me glass from miles away.

Considering where I’ve seen deer in this terrain I don’t know that they actually see anything
618AE7C5-2916-4E75-B8AF-C77DB68B0FFD.jpeg

Attachments

• A11EC73B-3E6A-46BA-8F5B-925E9C2B713B.jpeg
    A11EC73B-3E6A-46BA-8F5B-925E9C2B713B.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 06977BD9-C322-496D-BF9B-2F9A06F29FF3.jpeg
    06977BD9-C322-496D-BF9B-2F9A06F29FF3.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 108

199p

FNG
Looks like epic country.
Mule deer are top of my list for when I finally make it over to hunt in the US

I was out there the week before and was lucky enough to get my first muley. Did you have any luck?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Anyway we are on day 2 now. Yesterday was weird one given that the rain moved in the night before. Low clouds and fog pretty much stopped all glassing. Weather looks better today but the chance of rain has me perplexed as to what to do. If anyone has any wisdom of hunting in the rain in the low desert I would love to hear it.
I've seen more mule deer up and moving on rainy days in Arizona than any other days for sure. Still hunt known travel corridors and the low washes. Glassing is still an option with a tarp, just limit your glassing to under 300-400 yards due to visibility. Rainy days keep other hunters away and the high humidity has the deer cruising around feeding and fighting in the desert. Some of my favorite days to hunt if you catch a rare fall/winter Arizona rain (we've already had a few this year and it's been fantastic).

Sneaker

FNG
Maybe he got a little too close to the border and we need to send out the search party or call in the federales…