Arizona Archery elk..

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Just had an outfitter tell me I would need 20 or more points to draw a decent archery elk hunt tag. I currently have 5. I understand that 'decent' is a pretty relative turn and I'm under no delusion that I'll ever get enough points to draw the top top units.

But for yall that have drawn Arizona archery elk and had great hunts, however you choose to define great, do you think it can be done with 5+ points? Or really its taking 20.. I'm 40. I'm not waiting another 15 years..

Also I guess I can't convert these to any other species? I'm not super interested in a rifle hunt, other than to not waste the points I have. If thats my only option really then I guess I'd do it.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Just had an outfitter tell me I would need 20 or more points to draw a decent archery elk hunt tag. I currently have 5. I understand that 'decent' is a pretty relative turn and I'm under no delusion that I'll ever get enough points to draw the top top units.

But for yall that have drawn Arizona archery elk and had great hunts, however you choose to define great, do you think it can be done with 5+ points? Or really its taking 20.. I'm 40. I'm not waiting another 15 years..

Also I guess I can't convert these to any other species? I'm not super interested in a rifle hunt, other than to not waste the points I have. If thats my only option really then I guess I'd do it.

You need to define what decent is for you. That will help determine whether the number is 20 or not. Also, with point creep, what it currently takes is likely vastly different from what it will be in a few years.

With all of that said, you still have a chance in the random draw.

Last and most importantly to answer your question we will need to know if you are a resident or not.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah sorry about the missing data.

I'm not a resident. I'd be coming from Virginia

A decent hunt to me would be one where I get a chance at a 6x6 bull.. in my mind thats a mature animal. I'm not looking for a specific size in inches and not experienced enough to really look at one and know. As long as it gets my blood going I'm good. Would love to experience the elk rut, but for me all it would take is one great opportunity. After that anything else is extra. And its certainly on me to capitalize on the opportunity.

RdRdrFan

WKR
Those types of bulls exist in most units in the state. In the next few years you should easily be able to draw a unit (even as a NR) that will be able to provide an opportunity to chase that type of animal.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Those types of bulls exist in most units in the state. In the next few years you should easily be able to draw a unit (even as a NR) that will be able to provide an opportunity to chase that type of animal.
Thats good to hear. I knew I'd never get into the primo units.. I'd love to have a great adventure and a chance at a good animal.. But I don't need 100 chances and I don't need a record book bull

SDHNTR

WKR
You’re in the game for late hunts. You’re likely a long ways out for rut hunts. And with creep these days, what takes 10-12 points now may be forever out of reach if you’re looking to guarantee a tag. But, AZ is a bonus point state so stay out of the top tier draws and you still have a chance. Out of respect for others in the running, I’m not going to be any more specific than that and I hope others won’t either.