Argentina

So kind of a long story but the gist of it is I won an Alaska caribou hunt through a raffle at work. For a few different reasons, that hunt isn’t going to happen now and it sounds like we’re shifting gears and are going to head to Argentina!

So far, all I know is that it’s likely going to be a two animal hunt (Red Stag, water buffalo, fallow deer, blackbuck, axis deer and muflon) with the organization booking the trip paying for two of the above listed animals. I was told we can pay for a third animal but have no idea what that would run. The hunt is planned for mid August since that’s the dates all of us already got approved through work to take off.

So my questions are if anyone has ever done a similar hunt, which animals would you suggest and why? Also, what are some of the nuances with hunting Argentina (gear, getting a rifle in country, cultural expectations, etc.)

I’ve never had the opportunity to do anything even remotely like this hunt, and have never hunted outside the US so if anyone has any advise or can give me an idea of what to expect I’d really appreciate it!

Fitzwho

WKR
I haven't hunted down there, so can't speak to that. Have looked at doing a trip like this though. For me, I would do a red stag and a fallow. Just pure personal preference. If I wanted a 3rd animal it would likely be another specimen of those two. I don't like the look of the water buffalo you get outside of Australia. I would ask for a price list if interested in buying a 3rd animal. The blackbuck and the mouflon will likely be the cheaper options for a 3rd. Blackbuck are cool, but depending on price, I can get one at any time here in Texas. Axis are cool and are getting pricey in Texas. For me, I just want to hunt one in Hawaii.

A lot of the questions you have on international travel with firearms could be answered by the local outfitter, as they will deal with this almost daily during season. I know there is some very specific paperwork you will need to file with the Argentine government for your rifle and will need to do that ahead of time. I would also ask if they have a rifle to "rent" while you are down there. That would make travel that much easier. This is what I have looked at, because I go down there I will only be hunting half the time and don't want to have to worry about toting around a rifle everywhere I go.

WCB

WKR
My opinion having gone to Africa and New Zealand....Shoot all the species you can/want while you are there as it is cheaper than a return trip and hunt. I would shoot the Water Buffalo and Stag (most expensive) add the Black Buck if you are only allowed 3 animals...Others are probably going to be $1500-$3000 for a good representative animal maybe/probably a bit more for a large specimen.

If you can buy a 3rd and 4th and 5th you have some thinking to do or if they allow you to shoot them and pay after you have some strategic planning to do. But again in my opinion figure out all additional costs of the trip what your budget would be for extra animals and shoot as many as you can with that budget.

Never hunted Argentina but looking into it as it is fairly inexpensive. The outfitter should be able to send you documents on what is needed for travel with a firearm. If it is as simple as it was going to NZ or Canada bring your own...but most places have rifles for rent. Also, factor in getting your animals back and if you want any mounted or just doing Euros and maybe keeping a couple back hides. NZ 5 years ago with hides and horns for shoulder mounted Chamois, 2 sheep skulls and hides, and a full body Tahr was $1200 to get back.

OP
Tremain4414
Awesome, thanks for the insight and advice. Does anyone have any idea on shipping costs to get animals back to the states from Argentina? I’ve been searching around but haven’t found much specifically on Argentina

Scottyboy

WKR
I hunted Argentina ~15 years ago (the la pampa region) and would go back. At the time, getting the rifle in country was very easy and most, if not all, paperwork was done ahead of time.

Buenos Aires was, interesting, for a number of different reasons. I was told to say in the hotel at night and not venture out. Again, this was 15ish years ago maybe things have changed.

I took a boar, blackbuck and water Buffalo when I was there, no luck on the stag as I didn’t want to hunt inside their fenced area…but had opportunity.

Do you know where in Argentina you are going? (Patagonia, la pampa etc). DM me if you want to see any of my pictures from the trip or have specific questions on anything

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I have pretty extensive experience in Argentina.

I haven't hunted stag in Patagonia, but I've hunted them in La Pampa twice along with around 6 months in various dove and duck lodges throughout the country. First question, is it high fence or free range? A lot of operations will have free range stag and buffalo, but then the 'novelty' animals (axis, mouflon, fallow, black buck, etc) are fenced along with the freakish looking trophy stag (think Texas high fence whitetail). I'd personally go with a stag and a buffalo, buffalo is a fun hunt if free range. If you didn't want to hunt buffalo, and you don't want to go with high fence, I'd ask for an additional stag or a management stag. The best part about hunting big game in Argentina is stag during the rut/roar.

For the gun, it's no problem bringing it in most of the time, with that said I've seen plenty of people with firearms lost by the airlines or having customs slow them up making them miss connections or just spend unwarranted time at the airport. Unless you're a gun nut and only want to shoot your rifle, rent one from the outfitter. It's easier and not that much more expensive when compared to an extra checked bag, time, and the permit.

Spend time in Buenos Aires, it's a cool city. I've never felt unsafe there, but use common sense like you would in any big city (including the US). Eat a lot of beef and empanadas, then drink a lot of Malbec. My favorite neighborhoods to stay in are Palermo and Recoleta.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been there, but a buddy of mine did a duck hunt down there and had a blast. They had kids do the retreiving and he said they were the best and knew hand signals and everything. He said if he were to get a retriever it would be an Agentine.

I too have been looking to hunt Red Stag in Argentina for the last couple of years but also had concerns as to hunting on a high fence ranch which isn't for me. I am probably going to do a Dove hunt in the next few years with a hunting buddy who has hunted down there 3 times. The same buddy told me about the nightmare he experienced when flew into Santiago Chile with his shotgun to connect to BA. The chileans would not release his gun due to the paperwork even though he was in transit. It eventually got resolved but my buddy swore to rent his gun on future hunts. BTW, great input on this topic from those who have been down there. Suggest you buy yourself a Gaucho Facon knife as a souvenir and maybe take in a Tango dinner show. I am Asado fan
and regularly buy meats at a local Argentinian butcher and a Malbec fanatic as well.

RLXFXR

FNG
Awesome, thanks for the insight and advice. Does anyone have any idea on shipping costs to get animals back to the states from Argentina? I’ve been searching around but haven’t found much specifically on Argentina
I’m also interested in a stag hunt down there and curious about costs to get trophy back. Were you able to get any helpful info? Tks

RLXFXR

FNG
I’m also interested in a stag hunt down there and curious about costs to get trophy back. Were you able to get any helpful info? Tks
Me, too. Any information learned regarding trophy transport back to the US?