Area 7 Hunter Management Areas For Cows

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
There are several HMA's in area 7. I believe I must apply for most of them. I assume they have a drawing? Can I apply for all of them?
Are they good places to harvest a cow? I left an email with the biologist but haven't heard back yet.
I was reading about one HMA and it said (Valid for state land access only!) Why wouldn't I have access to that land without a permit?

wapitibob

WKR
I can only apply for 1 HMA in the area my tag is valid, I didn't see that restriction in the Deer Cr ranch rules so it may be different.
There is landlocked state as well as national forest in area 7. You would need hma or landowner permission to access those lands.

Overdrive

WKR
I can put you in touch with an outfitter in Area 7 if you want or don't have much luck in the HMA draws, but I understand if you want to go the DIY route too.

Overdrive

WKR
Surely we can find a couple cows on our own???
Cant we???
Yeah not saying it can't be done, just remember area 7 is 70% private land and even though there is public much of it is land locked or hard access and your accessing where all the other public land hunters are. Just be sure and really research and under stand the Wyoming access laws it looks like lots of BLM but it's checker boarded and you can't corner jump.
It doesn't take long for pressure to push the Elk to private as this area is pretty well known from the locals to better early in the season especially if guys are holding a Bull tag and don't want a broken up bull.
As a non resident to Wyoming that does guide in area 7 I wouldn't be building points for this unit if I didn't already have some private to hunt on. It's a different game when you get to watch 4-500 elk on the ranch doing what they do with little pressure, especially during the rut.

go_deep

WKR
Yeah not saying it can't be done, just remember area 7 is 70% private land and even though there is public much of it is land locked or hard access and your accessing where all the other public land hunters are. Just be sure and really research and under stand the Wyoming access laws it looks like lots of BLM but it's checker boarded and you can't corner jump.
It doesn't take long for pressure to push the Elk to private as this area is pretty well known from the locals to better early in the season especially if guys are holding a Bull tag and don't want a broken up bull.
As a non resident to Wyoming that does guide in area 7 I wouldn't be building points for this unit if I didn't already have some private to hunt on. It's a different game when you get to watch 4-500 elk on the ranch doing what they do with little pressure, especially during the rut.

Can you site any source that states corner crossing is illegal in Wyoming?

Overdrive

WKR
In this it says there no specific law about it but it's also no considered public access to corner cross.

Attachments

• Program_Recreation_BLM WY Access Guide (1).pdf
    656.2 KB · Views: 5

go_deep

WKR
In this it says there no specific law about it but it's also no considered public access to corner cross.

I really don't care what the BLM says about it.
Do you have anything from the Wyoming Game and Fish or any state or county law enforcement agencies that say it's not legal?

Overdrive

WKR
I really don't care what the BLM says about it.
Do you have anything from the Wyoming Game and Fish or any state or county law enforcement agencies that say it's not legal?
Well since I was referencing to BLM that's what I shared, I'm sure you can research it just as easy as I can. For me it's not a line worth flirting with as I have more to loose in the situation and represent a business that I'm not the owner of but could reflect poorly upon.

wapitibob

WKR
If you can find a location anywhere in WY where a deputy will write a ticket for crossing at a corner with no intent to hunt private, send me the info. There are people wanting to get a ticket and get this settled.

You can't get a deputy to write a ticket at this location, which is BLM/private...

Elk MT corner.jpg

go_deep

WKR
Well since I was referencing to BLM that's what I shared, I'm sure you can research it just as easy as I can. For me it's not a line worth flirting with as I have more to loose in the situation and represent a business that I'm not the owner of but could reflect poorly upon.

Well, you made the claim, the burden of proving it to be true is up to you.

Overdrive

WKR
Well, you made the claim, the burden of proving it to be true is up to you.
Much like you having to prove your intents of where you're crossing, I'll error with the side of caution you never know when you get that one person trying to make your hunt miserable and get you tied up with travelling back and forth to prove it in the courts. But I don't have to worry about as I have thousands of acres of private to hunt.

wytx

WKR
You can corner cross in area 7. GW will not write a ticket for it, a sheriff may show up if called but will not write a ticket for it either.
Cow hunting in area 7 is good late in season when they move to wintering ground, some of which is HMA. It can be feast or famine though.
You may find some private access for cows but will pay a fee I'm betting.
I hear the biologist may be leaving that area so he may not get back to you. Emails are best for correspondence though.

sent you a pm

go_deep

WKR
Much like you having to prove your intents of where you're crossing, I'll error with the side of caution you never know when you get that one person trying to make your hunt miserable and get you tied up with travelling back and forth to prove it in the courts. But I don't have to worry about as I have thousands of acres of private to hunt.
The tracks on my GPS will prove where I walked, along with the boot tracks on the ground.
Congratulations on owning land in 7, it's a good area!

OP
Beaglegun

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
I applied for Pinto Creek. I tried to apply for Duncan Ranch but it was first come first serve on WGFD website for Oct 15 choice and slots were all claimed.! This stuff is not for dummies!
Also I read on one HMA that you can only apply for one HMA? When these permits are drawn is there a preference in your choices? I applied for 3. I don't see anything about that???

wytx

WKR
I know a guy ended up with 2 HMA permits one year and G&F told him to choose one and hunt it.
The law or regulation is clear so I would talk with a GW if you draw more than 1 for any reason.
Might need to make a call to the WG&F and find out if you're ok with your apps. Be disappointing of they toss all 3 apps due to over apps on HMAs.
See if you can modify your apps online too.

Muddawg

FNG
Heading out next week to hma). Do I need a permit for my utv to drive on the hma trails from the parking lot or is my truck permit all I need to have displayed? Thanks for any info!

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out next week to hma). Do I need a permit for my utv to drive on the hma trails from the parking lot or is my truck permit all I need to have displayed? Thanks for any info!
Check the rules for the HMA. Some do not allow UTV/ATV or even in possession (trailer/back of the truck) while on the HMA. If they do allow it, it probably needs to be shown on the access permit as your secondary vehicle.

wytx

WKR
Snow yesterday and today and more next week, good timing perhaps getting them moving around.
Be sure and check the rules for your HMA on the atvs as stated above.