Area 24 New Mexico Burro Mountain December Rifle tag 2022 and Fort Huachuca Coues

Mojave

WKR
I have never hunted Coues deer, so this is my first time.

I also have enough points to get a Coues Tag on Fort Huachuca (I am retired military so I have access). Not sure if I won't save this one for 2023.

What do you think about Burro Mountain and Fort Huachuca?

I hear that Ft Huachuca tag is a good one. That mountain is full of deer and not a lot of pressure. Burros are the best mountains for Coues in NM. Very hard to draw.

BBob

WKR
Drew the December rifle burtos tag
Better cherish that tag and hunt hard and everyday. Not many opportunities like it anymore. It's getting very hard to draw a December tag anywhere and the chance of early rut to get the bigger bucks out is a huge plus.

And do you mean the Burro Mtn only hunt in Unit 23??? Dec 3-11? That will lean more to mule deer rut than Coues.

Last edited:

Der Hund

FNG
Congratulations on the NM tag. I've hunted Fort Huachuca many times. I never had trouble getting drawn until 2021. My eldest son got drawn in 2021 (late November youth hunt), which is like 4 years in a row for him. I accompanied him and was under the impression the Coues population was way down. Unlike past years, we did not see a single buck; did not hear any shots; did not see doe congregating in the cantonment area; and saw no-one processing deer at the mandatory station. If you ever do opt for a Fort Huachuca hunt be prepared for weapons registration, safety briefing (via an app), and check-in and check-out of 25ish hunting regions. Prior year harvest stats for each region are available from the wildlife manager.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
No this is the December white tail only FAWD Burro Mountain rifle hunt.

I'll apply at Huachuca I have 5 points so it is a done deal. I might do the mule deer muzzleloader hunt.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an old thread but I drew the November Ft huachuca coues tag. I’m also retired army and my father in law lives just outside the gate.

I scouted all last weekend and saw probably 15-20 different groups of does but not a single buck. I’m guessing it was too hot and a full moon so maybe the bucks were nocturnal. I saw the harvest statistics for 2020 and 2021 but nothing for 2022. I’m hoping that I have enough days to scout as I hunt but would welcome any tips from anyone who’s had success there in the past.