Are Tikka barrels slow?

TexAg08

FNG
I have a Tikka T3x 300wsm cut down to 20” for suppressor. With 65.7gr of H4350 and 175gr LRX, I am getting 2950 FPS. I can go to 67.7gr and get 3020 FPS, but the lighter load is grouping better.

R_burg

WKR
Its pretty much common knowledge (at least in most people's experience on snipershide) that Tikka has slow, yet very accurate barrels... this is of course discussing the CTR / Tac A1 barrels mostly. And its comparing it to a quality aftermarket barrel - not to another OEM.

You can load long in a short action Tikka. Its better for a short action, or a short action SAUM/WSM, etc that you want to run a long action, since its easy to convert. That being said, aftermarket stock choices are very limited if you want to run long action mags.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Was just shooting reloads in a tikka t3 7mag again this morning.. I wouldn’t argue the tikkas are slow statement mostly cause I don’t care enough, but actual speeds vs Nosler published speed are way different Sierra published speeds are closer but still off...

THEN there is this- I was well over both book maxes with no signs of excessive pressure... primers bolt lift damaged cases nothing.. I was achieving published speeds but not with published charges, also with out psi signs, with functional sub moa loads

THEN there’s this- I fired 2 factory loaded federal shells... both low 3000fps 160gr.. I doubt these are much faster in a remy 700 or savage or anything...

I don’t buy the Tikkas are slow statement. I think publish data has a safety factor due to stupidity and law suits, and to many people take their charge = speed info as gospel.

but like I said just my findings/believes.

R_burg

WKR
I doubt these are much faster in a remy 700 or savage or anything...

The tikkas have slow barrels opinion isn't formed vs another OEM barrel, it's vs a aftermarket barrel with a high end blank.

It's pretty commonly shown on long range forums that they are slower compared to a high end barrel. That's not saying they are slow compared another OEM gun, especially a gun like a stock Savage or Remington.

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
The tikkas have slow barrels opinion isn't formed vs another OEM barrel, it's vs a aftermarket barrel with a high end blank.

It's pretty commonly shown on long range forums that they are slower compared to a high end barrel. That's not saying they are slow compared another OEM gun, especially a gun like a stock Savage or Remington.

Oh. I guess.......??

The nature of the tikka lends me to believe that not many owners are replacing it with an identical spec’d aftermarket barrel, why would you it don’t make sense.

if I’m putting a new barrel on a tikka, I probably wouldn’t replace it with the same 24ish” barrel with the same twist rate length and contour, Which would then render any findings - apples to oranges.

I’m ASSuming the “tikkas are slow” is more along the lines of, I have a tikka and I reloaded a cartridge according to Brand X reloading manual with a charge rate of “Y” to get what they say should be “Z” Velocity and it’s slower..... so my barrel is slow, I’m gonna post about it.

but who knows, maybe I’m way off. Either way I don’t buy it or too many other blanket statements I read on the internet.

spin

FNG
I can’t remember the source, but at some point I read/heard a barrel maker comment they are slower due to looser internal barrel diameter and chamber size. It results in lower velocity, but being leas finicky with various bullets/loads. The trade off for slower velocity is that is shoots many loads well. In the three I’ve owned, they are the easiest rifles to develop good loads for them. It was a lightbulb moment when I read/heard that information.

I want to say the source was Bartlein, but don’t hold me to that.

LightFoot

WKR
Glad I found this thread....
I am shooting Norma 150gr in my Tikka 300 Win and they were dropping significantly more than I expected. Haven't chrono'd, but drop suggests under 3000 fps.

Glad to know this is common.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Glad I found this thread....
I am shooting Norma American Whitetail 150gr in my Tikka 300 Win and they were dropping significantly more than I expected. Haven't chrono'd, but drop suggests under 3000 fps.

Glad to know this is common.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Don’t be discouraged. My buddy just bought a 300wm superlite and loaded some 180s at max load and chrono’d at 3200 without pressure. Factory are slow but hand loads can be much faster. Good luck!

They speed up after 200 rounds. My 6.5 CM T3x was slow but it shoots to expected velocities now.

My 30 06 Superlite T3X is stupid fast. I'm getting 3225 FPS with a 130 grain Barnes TTSX without any pressure signs.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
depends on how you define “slow”. I get less than book velocities with book powder charges in my T3x 6.5cm. So I add powder and watch velocity. Not slow anymore.

Velocity = pressure.

Sled

WKR
depends on how you define “slow”. I get less than book velocities with book powder charges in my T3x 6.5cm. So I add powder and watch velocity. Not slow anymore.

Velocity = pressure.

In most cases you're correct. I've had bad barrels with low velocity and high pressure. I've also had some Tikkas that were slow with no signs of pressure where a half grain change began locking the bolt. The pressure jump was huge and velocity did not follow suit.

Macintosh

WKR
I dont know the answer, but i have heard many people say their tikka barrel is slow. In all cases they meant that with a given load their tikka was slower based on chrono than the exact same load through other barrels they have/had.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got tons of good 300 WSM brass on hand, so if I can get one in a reasonable amount of time I'll at least try it first and see what speeds I get. If that doesn't work out I'll likely end up with a 7-300 WSM barrel.
Well since this was dug out of the archives, what did you end up with?