Archery Target Repainting / Facelift

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a field point target bag that still works well, but the original design was faded and needed a facelift. Decided to use a mix of paint pens, spray paint, and a sharpie

These were the steps I took:

1. Spray paint color for center circles. I had sea foam on hand. We'll see how well it works.

2. Cover with stickers and spray paint color for outer circles.

3. Trace outlines with sharpie. Did center circle outlines freehand. Used container lid for outer circles.

4. Touched up paint with sea foam and white paint pens. I ended up completely covering the center circles as the sea foam colors didn't match up correctly.

5. Use a couple sponge brushes and spray paint sprayer into a container to hand paint the black outlines\backgrounds.

6. Touch up with sharpies and paint pens as needed.

Pretty happy with how it came out. Next time, I'll probably just use a paint pen to fill in the center dots after doing the white circles instead of doing it with spray paint beforehand.

Attachments

• 20220612_155134.jpg
    20220612_155134.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220612_181647.jpg
    20220612_181647.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220612_200938.jpg
    20220612_200938.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing, we are rebuilding our archery range and will be restoring a bunch of those bag targets. I like the paint it black idea!
Thanks! I like that the black hides the holes (preventing them from distracting you visually) while also giving the targets more contrast. Black vs. white is about as much contrast as you can get.

This is great! I have a hurricane bag that has taken a beating over the years. The target zones have severally faded and I've never been a fan of the bright green bag with red dots. Black with white dots will certainly help with pin blur issues I've had past 50yds.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
This is great! I have a hurricane bag that has taken a beating over the years. The target zones have severally faded and I've never been a fan of the bright green bag with red dots. Black with white dots will certainly help with pin blur issues I've had past 50yds.
So I've been shooting this bag a lot and the paint has been flaking off pretty bad. I think the spray paint I used was too thick. If you do decide to do something, I would either hand paint it with a thinner paint or use permanent markers that will "stain" the bag instead of laying paint on top of a softer material.

So I've been shooting this bag a lot and the paint has been flaking off pretty bad. I think the spray paint I used was too thick. If you do decide to do something, I would either hand paint it with a thinner paint or use permanent markers that will "stain" the bag instead of laying paint on top of a softer material.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if plastic spray paint-- like the ones from Krylon-- would provide better adhesion. I might give that a go and report back.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if plastic spray paint-- like the ones from Krylon-- would provide better adhesion. I might give that a go and report back.
I think the issue for me was the bag flexing under the paint when hit with an arrow, which caused the paint to flake off. Not sure if plastic spray paint would flex with the bag or not.

OP
RedBeard22

RedBeard22

Lil-Rokslider
20220623_170338.jpg
Here's a pic of what it looks like with me touching up the black with sharpie. I'll probably touch up the white with a paint pen soon since that paint is thinner.

Triple d

FNG
Any update on how the other paint worked? I am wanting to do this to one of my old bags.