Archery Elk in unit 76 (colorado)

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about trying to draw this tag this year. Does anyone have any advice? I know it's a big unit with a lot of ground. Just look for somewhere to start. Thanks

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted 78 just south of it. It is steep and big. Contact the local DFG up there to see what portions of it are open since a significant portion of it burned really bad last summer. If it is open and you can find pockets of green then it will be good.

Do you plan on backpack hunting or trying to hunt from a base camp? Ive never hunted the unit but have worked fairly extensively all through it. I can give you some starting places depending on what type of hunting you plan on...

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a bull in there 1st rifle season. If you wanna see sa lot of pics google rocketman over on monster mulies. Most of his pics I believe we're taken around the pole creek area. There are lots of elk,you should have a fun hunt. Take something for the moose!! Lots of them around and they aren't scared of anything.

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. And I will watch out for the moose. Thanks for the heads up.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
One of my best friends drew an archery 76 CO tag with his father. It will probably be the only time they hunt it and I likely never will. I am considering flying out in August with him and my nephew in order to help him locate some elk and find some access for their preferred hunting method. Generally they hunt with horses from a base camp and bivy out as necessary. I was curious if anyone would give me a couple starting points. I suspect we will drive around to a few camping areas and climb up to glass and spend the night. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PMs are fine. Thank you Eric.

PS with my muley(other area) tag I believe I received a fishing license as well... should I take a pole???

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Also wondering about roads that are not accessible to trucks with trailers. It seems tough to tell on the Colorado hunt atlas. Thanks

JoshTX

WKR
I've spent a lot of time around Creede and and I know some ELKY spots but they are a bitch to get to. I have seen some big bulls there as well but alas, no tag for that unit. PM me and I'll help you out if I can.