Archery Elk hunting Solo in grizzly country.

Bachto

WKR
Get some quality ammo for the 45 if you take it. The only thing regular self defense ammo will do in that caliber is ease your suffering.
I reload and will be loading up some big heavy (lol within reason anyway) bear loads, my dad will be doing the same with his .40 cal.

mtnkid85

WKR
How many guys hunt solo in grizzly country? I'm talking high density grizzly country.

I had 4 or 5 guys committed to hunting bow season with me this year and everyone is a flake.

It's my first year elk hunting, and I'm in NW Wyoming in a high grizzly density area. I've always heard archery elk is the best way to get mixed up with a grizzly bear.

I don't mind being out in the mountains with grizzlies when I'm with another guy, but when your alone it gets pretty spooky. I'm new to all of this so I'm sure it will get better with time, but I've got three little kids and that weighs heavy on my mind now compared to how I lived life before children.

So what do you say? Am I over thinking it? Do I need to just go or am I doing the right thing by staying home until I have a partner?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I do quite a bit in SW Mt. Ive had a few negative encounters. Train with your chosen bear defense method, whether its a pistol or spray.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
I hunted Griz Country 2005-2011 in NW Wyoming with 3 other people during rifle season. I've bumped a griz while stalking a herd of elk, My father had a Griz chew up a carcass he shot at dusk, and we have run into bears who were claiming gut piles.

It is really a different story when you are packing a rifle capable of stopping a charge, vs a bow and spray/pistol. You really can't be an effective bowhunter if you are worrying about a possible bear coming to a dinner bell.

My Griz country rules are :

hunt in pairs and watch each other's back.
Evenings, three hours before sunset, are for scouting.
If you have to return to haul meat out, put it in an opening with 100 yards visibility in all directions.
You ain't a gunfighter so don't try.
Your horse is your best sentry, trust his senses.
If you HAVE to use lethal force on a Griz you have already lost...

TheGDog

WKR
P.S. I'm liking what I see in the Topography where that Cleghorn passes thru on the map. It has their canyons, but not JUST Canyons, has some areas that's flatter too.

Wait... when you mentioned Cleghorn Rd.... are you referring to taking the part that comes in off the 15Fwy? Or are you referring to taking the part that splits off from the Hwy 138 and going in from the other direction? Which would be easier for a non 4WD vehicle?

A-Brakke

FNG
Sounds to me you respect em enough to do just fine. I’d say don’t wander to much after dark, keep all food clean and away from camp, and Bear spray/side arms are must haves in my opinion. In general just keep your Witt’s about you and hike with your eyes up….I know your feet are interesting but eyes up! 😂

If you down something….gut it, quarter it, and hang your quarters 100yds from the stuff they want. During this process is the most important time to have your defenses available to you….do not set them down somewhere close keep them on your side. Just my two sense.

I need to pick up some heavy ammo for bear defense in .45 ACP. Looking at Buffalo Bore. What ballistics/measurement metric is most important to look at; ft-lbs, grain wt, or fps? Lots of choices and want to make sure I'm adequately prepared.

I got in good elk country only to have a large black bear get in between me and the herd. There was also grizzly sign as i was hiking into the draw. It was a tough hike down and a tougher one back up empty handed, but when you know the bears are that close, it's safer to turn around.

400orBust

FNG
I frequently spike hunt solo in griz areas and have had multiple encounters, the closest being about 30 yards with a sow and a cub, she was not friendly and I didn't have a sidearm, I figured I was done. It was scary and anyone who says it isn't is lying to be manly or lying because they have never been in that situation. I'm not concerned during rifle but archery is another story. I purchased a backpack electric fence, piss all around my campsite except for a trail I walk out on to try to not step in my own scent, put my food and garbage in a drybag in a tree a bit away from my tent, carry a glock 10mm on a holster hung below my bino harness with solid nose hole punchers (no hollow point type ammo), and try to hunt relatively near my tent in the evening so I'm not having a long hike back in the dark. I also carry a small LED flood light I can hang in a tree if I get an elk to flood the area with light so I'm not just working off a headlamp. Regardless of the time I get all the meat off and get it at least several hundred yards from the carcass that night. Mostly, I use what I consider common sense. If something doesn't feel right trust your senses but don't panic. If you see a griz leave the area.