Archery Elk Co

Hey everyone, I’ve been a member for quite a while, I just tend to browse the chats. Now I’m reaching out to get some input. I’m a CO resident and have only hunted archery OTC for elk up to this point. I’ve been pretty successful doing that. But I’m getting the itch to burn my points.

Looks like I’d be able to draw an archery tag this year. I’m a backcountry hunter, typically will pack in for 6-7 days. I’m not opposed to a pack service though.

Any thoughts or input would be helpful. Thanks.

OP
GL ==———>
So my original post didn’t come through as intended. I know those are the top units, I’m never going to get to that. I have enough points to draw a 49 or 76 tag. My debate is between the two…

svivian

WKR
So my original post didn’t come through as intended. I know those are the top units, I’m never going to get to that. I have enough points to draw a 49 or 76 tag. My debate is between the two…
Hard to say without knowing how many points you have….

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d do some searches on here and the internet. These units have been compared multiple times.

Here’s my advice, and I hate offering help on specific units. I think we have enough people putting pressure on our elk resources without openly talking about units.

If I’m spending a decades worth of points I am going to get more than 6-7 days out of a unit. I want to scout and scout and scout some more. It’s half the fun!! Once the season starts, a unit that’s 2-3 hours away makes for a great weekend hunt. I’d always pick the unit that is closer and I’d make that 6-7 day hunt a 4 month hunt! Find a couple 300-330” bulls in July and august and you’ll be so excited for September 2 you won’t be able to stand it!

I had a good thing in CO. An OTC unit that produced elk or opportunities ever year I went. For me. Not counting the friends that were in our group when we started in 2006. It was very good to us all. But, there is always a dumbass in any group. Even in small hunting groups.

One of the original group took 14 people to our honey hole last year. 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of his co workers and family. They killed some elk too. I feel like killing him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, pm CO residents these questions. Don’t ask on an open forum. I wouldn’t expect anyone to put on the World Wide Web that kind of info.

def90

WKR
I had a good thing in CO. An OTC unit that produced elk or opportunities ever year I went. For me. Not counting the friends that were in our group when we started in 2006. It was very good to us all. But, there is always a dumbass in any group. Even in small hunting groups.

One of the original group took 14 people to our honey hole last year. 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of his co workers and family. They killed some elk too. I feel like killing him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is, pm CO residents these questions. Don’t ask on an open forum. I wouldn’t expect anyone to put on the World Wide Web that kind of info.

Well, sounds like you might as well just tell all of where it is seeing that everyone else already knows.

Hey everyone, I’ve been a member for quite a while, I just tend to browse the chats. Now I’m reaching out to get some input. I’m a CO resident and have only hunted archery OTC for elk up to this point. I’ve been pretty successful doing that. But I’m getting the itch to burn my points.

Looks like I’d be able to draw an archery tag this year. I’m a backcountry hunter, typically will pack in for 6-7 days. I’m not opposed to a pack service though.

Any thoughts or input would be helpful. Thanks.
If your a serious Backcountry guy I recommend 76. I have a lot of experience in the unit if you put in your time you should find some great bulls. Most of the unit is public land and a large portion is wilderness at that. It's very sparsely populated and doesn't have a ton of vehicular access. Most of the terrain lends itself well to extended backpack trips. There's only one town in the entire unit and it's small but the unit is huge. Honestly you can find elk from the lowest elevation to the highest at almost any given time. The bull to cow ratio is good and they rut hard lots of bugling and its pretty consistent from the beginning of Sept. Until later in Oct.

I'll share my my opinion on unit 49 after having hunted it 2 times in the last 10 years and being along with a friend who had the tag in between. While there are some larger bulls in the unit I see it as being managed for opportunity as opposed to being managed for trophy quality/age class. We certainly got into plenty of elk but saw very few 6 point bulls and only one or two really mature next level bulls in the 3 seasons I've hunted there. They are in there but you have to wade through the mass of smaller bulls to find them. There is ample road access to all sides of the wilderness area in the center of the unit so there really isn't anywhere that I would expect to go and see little to no pressure. It comes at those elk from all four sides. Very little if any of the unit requires you to backpack in so if that is what you are looking for I would look at 76 instead.

I like 76. I've vacationed there in the summer and seen nice bulls. I've seen better bulls than the one in my avatar. Even if you don't get on any next level bulls its awesome country especially for a backpacker.