Archery DIY Elk options?

TundraDude97

Lil-Rokslider
Never elk hunted before but have always wanted too. Trying to plan out a hunt for this the next few years. What states/areas should I be looking at applying/purchasing points for? I know Colorado is OTC, any other states?
Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Item #1- Go to " Search" and Type in any question you have.

Years and Years of information in there. Spend a few weeks in here. Do you own research. Download Google Earth Pro. Start looking. Go to the various States Departments of Wildlife and down load their Big Game Brochures. Put in some of your own effort. Get a "Go Hunt" Membership. Watch "YouTube Videos". Get in Good Shape! Good Boots! Good Glass! Good Sleep Gear! Right Clothing!

Seriously, no one is going to tell you where to hunt. With all the Hype on the internet with "Western Hunting" the woods are full of new hunters and its ruining the hunting for just about everyone. Don't carry your feelings on your sleeve in here either. Popping in like every other new guy asking for information on where to hunt or where to draw tags ,when everyone is having great difficulty getting tags they want, (thanks to Social Media & the Internet) you might find this a rough crowd. Also never name GMU's.

Forget about Colorado, it's full already! And you need to know that in just about every single state with an elk herd , the Resident Hunters are considering putting a bounty on Nonresident hunters, especially if you are from Texas!:oops: I think you have missed the ferry! You would do better to take up Fly Fishing! But if your still serious, go back to item #1. :ROFLMAO:

Never elk hunted before but have always wanted too. Trying to plan out a hunt for this the next few years. What states/areas should I be looking at applying/purchasing points for? I know Colorado is OTC, any other states?
Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Get a gohunt membership to start, it will save many hours of research. There are a lot of options for otc/easy draw out there but it takes time to figure things out. I'm in the same boat having never hunted elk yet and have spent hundreds of hours researching, building spreadsheets with info on different units in different states, gear lists, and mapping. Hopefully the work pays off come September. Good luck

trolson90

FNG
Utah is also OTC archery and just added an OTC rifle. They will be tough hunts though. I second getting a GoHunt membership and scouring your opportunities as we get into application season. You're at least a couple years out in most western states.

I just never did get why anyone would pay for someone to do their homework for them. Just seems lazy to me.

On another note, Funny how Newberg is giving advice for guys to start dumping points anywhere they can only after he dumped his to make sure he would get his tags prior to giving this poor advice to everyone else so he wouldn't have to compete with the rest of the population while taking y'alls money. Dumping points in lesser units only adds to the point creep but thats another thread........

Fullfan

WKR
No doubt like mentioned above, take up fly fishing or golf. Both will cost you less and are done mostly on flat ground. Times have changed in the western states. The days of OTC tags are almost over, Colorado is the last holdout. You can prob guess, when hunters don't get drawn in other states where they go. Good luck you are 30 years too late.