Arca install on Barrett Fieldcraft?

Does anyone have any experience installing an Arca plate on a Fieldcraft or other fully bedded rifle that does not have a deeper channel for a free floating barrel? I would assume it is as simple as making sure the T Nut is countersunk enough, but I thought I would check anyhow in case I'm missing something. Purpose would be to more effectively shoot off of a tripod than with the Spartan Arca adapter all the way forward at the sling stud.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d think it would be the same as installing a rail on a fiber glass stock. Countersink it and use something like these:

Pretty much like they do on this video but you’re putting an arca rail on.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
For anyone still interested, after having a Gunsmith **** up my stock by installing T Nuts the wrong way around in the bottom of my stock.. claiming that’s how he always does them.. I decided to do what I should have done in the first place. Do it myself.

Here is the countersunk hole in the barrel channel, through the bedding compound, completed with a 5/8 Forstner bit and T Handle Tap Wrench. No special tools, no drill press. Just some common sense and a steady hand.
IMG_8697.jpeg

6.5x284

WKR
I’ve done quite a few. I like fast RPM and light pressure for the carbon/Kevlar type synthetic stocks. Came out nice! Ready for a sheep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
For anyone still interested, after having a Gunsmith **** up my stock by installing T Nuts the wrong way around in the bottom of my stock.. claiming that’s how he always does them.. I decided to do what I should have done in the first place. Do it myself.

Here is the countersunk hole in the barrel channel, through the bedding compound, completed with a 5/8 Forstner bit and T Handle Tap Wrench. No special tools, no drill press. Just some common sense and a steady hand.
View attachment 594896
Hmmmm. Makes me nervous about taking my Fieldcraft to a local gunsmith to get Spartan Classic Adapters installed... I've got access to a full machine shop, so I might just do it myself.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hmmmm. Makes me nervous about taking my Fieldcraft to a local gunsmith to get Spartan Classic Adapters installed... I've got access to a full machine shop, so I might just do it myself.
I think they have information on their website that even says what sort of epoxy to use.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

View attachment 594896
How did the gunsmith do it? Seems sort of like there’s only one way to actually do it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've installed three with a hand drill and JB weld (2) or syntactic foam (1). It is pretty easy.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Once I drilled through the stock for the second time, with a bit large enough for the T Nut shank to fit, I realized that the lower 1/2” was foam. So instead of sinking the T Nut all the way down into that weaker material, I stopped while still in the much stronger resin type material.

The bit I used was a 5/8 Forstner, which was slightly smaller than the 10-32 T Nuts outer diameter. I held the T Nut with some vice grips and rounded the outside perimeter with a grinding wheel to fit within the smaller 5/8 hole. This allowed me to take less material out of the narrow Fieldcraft stock and maintain more integrity.

To reach the threads of the Nut, I switched from the standard 3/4” machine screw to a 1” screw. I tightened the screw to firmly set the T Nut in place, which was already tapped in and snug. I then used blue loktite on the threads and a two part epoxy around the T Nut to keep it firmly in place.

Instead of an Arca rail, I’m using a 4 1/2” Area 419 Pic rail. The front screw goes into the sling stud and the back into this T Nut. This seems to suit the Fieldcraft better and allows me to hold the stock in front of the mag well.
I mostly use an Anvil clone head, the Leofoto MA-30L, which clamps to either an Arca or Pic rail. The 4 1/2” pic allows me to mount to the tripod in a spot that seems really well placed and operate the head with my left arm slightly bent.

Attachments

• IMG_8702.jpeg
    IMG_8702.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 54

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Which is exactly what I said when I received both stocks back that way.
The Fieldcraft is headed to Steve Boswell for a beautiful paint job after this season is over. It deserves some love.
The Kimber has already been fixed and hydro dipped, again.
View attachment 595020
That’s just…impressive. Is this an anchorage area gunsmith?

I could have done those things the right way in ~ 30 mins.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Syntactic foam (2 part liquid epoxy mixed with microbaloons until it is like sticky bread dough) is a great filler to stay light and replace non-structural foam. It is what I used in my kimber stock when I installed QC cups and the Spartan gunsmith adapter.

I don't think you need it, but it is a good tool to be aware of.

Wrench

WKR
I'd be interested to see if you clamp an indicator on the barrel and indicate the stock and see if it flexes much.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04