ARC M BRACE rings binding?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve got a set of MBRACE rings. This is only the second time I’ve mounted these. On the first set (which were actually M10’s) the scope dropped in and slid around nice and smoothly. No binding and it was obvious they were perfectly round and concentric to the scope tube. On this new set, when I drop the scope in, it takes a bit of pressure to get them to fully seat in the bottom of the rings and the scope tube seems to be binding. It won’t slide around smoothly with the top clamp open. If these were Talley’s or old school Leupold rings or similar I’d be breaking out the lapping bar, but that should not be necessary with ARC rings. On a Defiance rail too. Anyone ever seen this? Are the MBRACE rings just different in this regard? I’m quite surprised ARC would let a dud set out the door.

I have two sets of M Brace and one set of the older M10. None of them have done as you described. I'd put in a call to ARC.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I took the rings off the rail entirely just to rule it out as a potential problem. The rings will still grip onto the scope tube and stay on, just pushed into place. Even with the top clamp left entirely open. They kinda snap on and off the scope tube with a little tension. Just like an unlapped Talley. So they must be ever so slightly out of round.

Just for reference. I installed a set of new M-Brace rings on Murphy Precision rail on my xbolt yesterday. I had a similar experience as you. On mine, if I left the rail clamps loose, the new VX5-HD scope moved freely in the rings. But snug the rail clamp screws ever so slightly and it bought bound up just a tad. Not bad but enough to make me nervous. I spent several hours tinkering with it, trying different slots, repositioning the rings, and etc with the same results.

While looking for info on it, I came across a thread on Sniper’s Hide with the same issue. The owner of ARC ended up replying to that thread with a very thorough and convincing post or two on why it didn’t matter. I ended up going forward with the installation and the end result looks perfect. I have not shot the rifle yet but did bore sight it today, which took very little horizontal adjustment and no vertical adjustment.

Love the rings today but may hate them tomorrow after I shoot the rifle. We shall see.

Here is the thread, worth a read.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Just for reference. I installed a set of new M-Brace rings on Murphy Precision rail on my xbolt yesterday. I had a similar experience as you. On mine, if I left the rail clamps loose, the new VX5-HD scope moved freely in the rings. But snug the rail clamp screws ever so slightly and it bought up just a tad. Not bad but enough to make me nervous. I spent several hours tinkering with it, trying different slots, repositioning the rings, and etc with the same results.

While looking for info on it, I came across a thread on Sniper’s Hide with the same issue. The owner of ARC ended up replying to that thread with a very thorough and convincing post or two on why it didn’t matter. I ended up going forward with the installation and the end result looks perfect. I have not shot the rifle yet but did bore sight it today, which took very little horizontal adjustment and no vertical adjustment.

Love the rings today but may hate them tomorrow after I shoot the rifle. We shall see.

Here is the thread, worth a read.
Interesting. The set I had literally snapped on and off my March scope. Without even installing the rings to the rail! The rings, separate from the rail, would hold onto the scope tube on their own, with the clamp fully open, defying gravity. Reminded me of Talley lightweights. I don’t mind Talley’s being out of round because I can lap that problem away and they are cheap. I wasn’t going to lap a nearly $200 set of rings. In the end I wasn’t comfortable using them and returned them. Bought Nightforce Titanium and am happy with them.

Last edited:
Interesting. The set I had literally snapped on and off my March scope. Without even installing the rings to the rail! The rings, separate from the rail, would hold onto the scope tube on their own, with the clamp fully open, defying gravity. Reminded me of Talley lightweights. I don’t mind Talley’s being out of round because I can lap that problem away and they are cheap. I wasn’t going to lap a nearly $200 set of rings. In the end I wasn’t comfortable using them and returned them. Bought Nightforce Titanium and am happy with them.

Wow! That sounds like the caps on a set of a Warne rimfire rings. Mine weren't anywhere near that bad. I just had a slight bind with the rings snugged up to the rail finger tight.