AR vs Bolt Action for Coyotes?

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used both a bolt gun and an AR. I’ll never go back to a bolt gun. Over the next month you’re gonna be calling in pairs a lot. Good luck killing double with a bolt gun….

But I’d tell you to go bigger than a 223 if money allows. 223 is economical as hell but it won’t knock the legs out from under a coyote like say a 243, 22-250 or 6 creed will.
I agree with the first part. I've only doubled with a bolt gun a few times, but have done it quite a bit with mini14s and ar15s.

But.... If you aren't dumping coyotes with the 5.56 you're picking the wrong bullets.

What do most of you prefer for yotes - AR or bolt action rifle? Also, which caliber do you prefer?
I love to call coyotes and I like to make clean kills so I prefer a bolt action 22-250. It's really accurate pleasant to shoot my first rifle was chambered in it. I've got a couple now and it's just my preferred style.

jonboy

FNG
I agree with the first part. I've only doubled with a bolt gun a few times, but have done it quite a bit with mini14s and ar15s.

But.... If you aren't dumping coyotes with the 5.56 you're picking the wrong bullets.
It’s always been my understanding that the 223 is great for coyotes. Specifically though, what rounds do you favor.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
It’s always been my understanding that the 223 is great for coyotes. Specifically though, what rounds do you favor.
I've tried a lot of different bullets and when saving fur my choices are different than just predator control.

The best fur bullets at close range have been the Speer 52gr hp #4708. These are old school, big hole HP's. I bought them in 5k boxes and still have some. Worked very well in slow twist barrels, as well as the faster mini14 or even modern AR twist.

My second choice, worked as well in slow twist was the Hornady SX. Though they come apart in flight if spun to fast, or at to high velocity. The v-max is supposed to be similar but I quit saving fur before these came out.

If just ventilating, fast Nosler BTs work great, but I've had some incredible pelt damage.
Lately I mostly have gone to heavier bullets that I can also use on deer.

One that surprised me was the 85gr Barnes TSX out of a .243 Win. My son dumped one at probably 25 yards and the exit was as big around as my finger. I expected a fist size hole.

dkart004

FNG
I run either a Howa 1500 in .204 or a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .223 (shoots three shot groups into on ragged hole at 100yrds). Can’t use thermals here in AZ so they are my day and night guns. Has a 20” barrel too so it makes it easier to maneuver for a bolt gun.

223 bolt for me.. the semi auto may have advantages but I have heard of too many missed opportunities from quirks that aren’t there with a bolt.

JjamesIII

WKR
I prefer AR for the thermal hunting I do here in Ohio but bolt action feels better if you have time to take the shot and have open county. I shoot .223 just because I was gifted my rifle. Ammo is cheaper and it still knocks coyotes down regularly at 300 yards so why change 🤷‍♂️
I’m stuck in Ohio also- has running a thermal increased your success a lot with our coyotes? I’m not getting very good results despite my best efforts. I only manage to get a couple a year. I obviously use the wind, fox pro and hand calls (about equal success rate). I’ve used coyote vocals as well as prey sounds- I think I’ve done a little better with coyote vocals. I know my spots are transient areas where they come in for a couple days then bail. Not really over run with dogs here.

I use a bolt gun kicked around the idea of pickin up an AR but honestly I guess I'm old school and just like working the bolt. I don't keep the pelt anymore so now if I take my deer and elk rifle out coyote hunting since to me there's no better practice than a real situation

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Falro

FNG
I’m stuck in Ohio also- has running a thermal increased your success a lot with our coyotes? I’m not getting very good results despite my best efforts. I only manage to get a couple a year. I obviously use the wind, fox pro and hand calls (about equal success rate). I’ve used coyote vocals as well as prey sounds- I think I’ve done a little better with coyote vocals. I know my spots are transient areas where they come in for a couple days then bail. Not really over run with dogs here.
What part of Ohio? Yeah thermal definitely increased my success for the ones that hung up at range but it’s not going to call in more dogs for you. A lot of people spend the money on thermal and still can’t kill them. On a budget I would use a night vision scope with a cheap thermal scanner.

Last edited:

kkp005

WKR
For daytime coyotes I always grab a bolt gun in with 223 or 22-250 both launching 77gr TMKs or I grab the bolt 6 creed.

I’ve got a Larue 223 upper that is sub MOA all day but I feel more natural and shoot a bolt gun better.

I used to run 7.62 x 39 AR on my thermals for night hogs/coyotes.. Recently put a thermal on a Ruger predator in 6creed and that is its new home

SwiftShot

WKR
It depends. If I am shooting subsonics with a can I go bolt. With the bolt still way less noise and reliable cycle. If I am not shooting Subsonics AR and spank them dogs. I get more and better shots going subsonic.