AR hunters out there?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I just bought a new barrel in 6mm ARC, looking forward to building an AR hunting rifle for myself. I put together a 6.8SPC for my son and he’s taken a pile of deer and antelope with it. I really enjoy shooting it, but it’s his and I wanted one for myself!
Reading up a bunch on this new 6mm cartridge and I’m really looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Who else out there enjoys hunting with an AR? Spending 8 years in the Army, there is a familiarity I have with ARs that I just don’t feel with bolt guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also a big fan of AR’s, I have hunted deer and elk with a 65G, only successful on deer. I would really like to hunt more than just coyotes with my 556 ARs but Colorado frowns upon that.

I use them, don't know that they appeal to me anymore than any other gun. Just depends.

6 arc has been a sweet spot for me since it's .23 cal or larger to hunt with. With Dcap permits, shoot deer thru the summer with whatever I want, come hunting season suddenly its not adequate. Picked up a 6arc in the past year, started carrying it as a truck gun. Overall it's pretty similar for me as a .223 with 65-69 gr bullets so pretty easy adjustment. With a small sample size thus far, plenty adequate on deer.

For close range tho, I still like a 450 bushmaster, I don't think there's a bit of difference in killing between them. Just that .450 sounds good when it hits.

Tex68w

WKR
I keep the 9" 300BLK SBR at the ready for pigs. 11 years now with it and it’s safe to say that I have become quite proficient with it with just a lowly old red dot and some Barnes TTSX 110's.

I took this cull at 123 yds this past weekend (back deer).

d2TtyDF.jpg

This pig took one to the dome at 164yds after taking one to the shoulder that didn't put him down.

RdM6IQP.jpg

m6jMJnp.jpg

And I shot this Aoudad at 130yds after he caught me coming out of the stand to take a crap. It certainly wasn't the ideal caliber for a large sheep but it's what I had in my hands at the time. Regardless it go it done with a neck shot and he only ran 20yds before flipping over on his back.

hmXNs5j.jpg

0qErRO5.jpg

SBR Sarge

FNG
I’ve been dropping deer with 300Blk ARs for almost nine years now. And one pig just this year.

Like the OP, I have gotten into the 6mm ARC and look forward to dropping some deer with it.

The last two years I’ve also been killing deer with a 350 Legend SBR.

Here’s the porker. 205 pounds. She was looking right at me from about 50 yards. I put one of the 110gr Barnes blacktips right between and slightly above her eyes. DRT, and darn tasty!

5D8E3D10-0BC9-42EB-9D89-2EC9A723A341.jpeg

And here’s the 350 Legend bullet from my first deer this year. Perfect performance from the 160gr all copper load from Bear Creek Ballistics.

950CB415-5812-44C4-B757-483C588D3A56.jpeg

I built a 6.8spc a while ago and have shot a pile of deer with it.
I was putting together a 12” 6.5grendel pistol to use with my can but now Brandon wants to ban braces.

The AR platform is great for new/young hunters & mine has been used for multiple “first deer”. Very low recoil, adjustable fit, ergonomic. Definitely need a different trigger that is better than milspec.

Last edited:
ex military AR owner and fan here but don’t really hunt much with my ARs. Wasn’t an option for me until very recently back east and I have never hauled one out west. Seems to me they would shine in circumstances where fast follow up shots would be handy. Pig culling comes to mind. A buddy in Texas totes a 300 BK sig rattler as his truck gun. He has used it on deer, pigs, coyotes, and all kinds of pests. He’s far enough from the border not to have to worry too much about 2 legged pests, but I imagine that was part of the thought process in his selection. It’s his 2022 answer to the 30/30 lever Gun.

JohnOD

FNG
I hunt exclusively with AR's and have harvested elk, mule deer and pronghorn with small and large frame guns.
This Wyoming elk was taken with a 7VAR (small frame) shooting 140 grain Accubonds at 2,640 FPS. Distance was 240 yards.

Same cartridge but shooting 140 Ballistic Tips took this mulie in Colorado at 360 yards.

Floridave

FNG
As a change up from my normal selection of bolts and lever actions, I used my 20 inch varmint barrel AR in 5.56 for deer this year. First time to use an AR as a hunting rifle. I enjoyed hunting with it and will do so again, though I’ll use a lighter setup next time.

Final count 2 shots 2 deer.

May build up a 6mm ARC before next year, that’s the AR round that most interests me, but can’t fault my current setup. Waiting for a few parts to finish assembly of an 18 inch White Oak Armament barreled upper.
69578fb673bae02c0ad230f7eae3b6d0.jpg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I like to carry a TSAR 300BLK with Suppressor. The way its designed, the suppressor only sticks out 2-3" past the shroud. 11" barrel. Super light and accurate. I also have an Ambush 6.8SPC, 5.56 , and 17HMR in AR platforms.

BulldogCE

FNG
I just bought a new barrel in 6mm ARC, looking forward to building an AR hunting rifle for myself. I put together a 6.8SPC for my son and he’s taken a pile of deer and antelope with it. I really enjoy shooting it, but it’s his and I wanted one for myself!
Reading up a bunch on this new 6mm cartridge and I’m really looking forward to seeing how it performs.
Who else out there enjoys hunting with an AR? Spending 8 years in the Army, there is a familiarity I have with ARs that I just don’t feel with bolt guns

I've been using my 300 Ham'r this years and love it. Using Hornady 135 ftx and cfeblk. Great combo!

When in texas use ar-10 w/ 308 for deer or sbr'd 300 blkout @ 7" w/ can for night work on pigs. Have not used a bolt gun in probably 5 years in texas. Supersonics on pigs. I have not used my ar-10 out in wyoming yet, keep thinking about making a 300wsm or 338 wsm ar-10. Just have not been willing to spend money to put my AR-10 on a diet to where it is as light as my bolt gun.

ETtikka

WKR
I have my son using a Larue predatar 5.56 just because the stock is adjustable, I put a simple thread protector on the barrel to minimize noise

260madman

WKR
My daughter is an exclusive AR15 user except when I handed her my large frame 308 to kill an 8pt a couple years ago. I try and take at least one deer a year with one of my ARs. Why? Because I can, common use.

BAKPAKR

WKR
My daughter and I have taken several deer with ARs in 223 and 6.8mm. I shot two bears with the 6.8.

. I try and take at least one deer a year with one of my ARs. Why? Because I can, common use.
Me too. I love when some gungrabber hits me with the “no one hunts with an AR”. Well, I do and I think it’s a great set up for newer/smaller hunters

JRS3

FNG
I built a 6.8spc a while ago and have shot a pile of deer with it.
I was putting together a 12” 6.5grendel pistol to use with my can but now Brandon wants to ban braces.

The AR platform is great for new/young hunters & mine has been used for multiple “first deer”. Very low recoil, adjustable fit, ergonomic. Definitely need a different trigger that is better than milspec.

The comment regarding great for new/young hunters is spot on. My kids use a 6.8 with a 2-7x33 VXR with illuminated dot, an Omega 300, and collapsible stock make it about perfect. The lack of recoil and noise, quick adjustable stock to each of their lengths, and overall handiness, shooting a 120 grain bullet makes a great setup.

I’m interested in the ARC as well. I don’t think it will do to much different than the 6.8 for my typical hunting scenarios but it could be another club in the bag. My only hold back is the limited selection of magazines. Are there any five rounders available?

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
The comment regarding great for new/young hunters is spot on. My kids use a 6.8 with a 2-7x33 VXR with illuminated dot, an Omega 300, and collapsible stock make it about perfect. The lack of recoil and noise, quick adjustable stock to each of their lengths, and overall handiness, shooting a 120 grain bullet makes a great setup.

I’m interested in the ARC as well. I don’t think it will do to much different than the 6.8 for my typical hunting scenarios but it could be another club in the bag. My only hold back is the limited selection of magazines. Are there any five rounders available?

That is exactly why I initially built a 6.8SPC for my son. When he shot his first deer with it, he was able to stay on the rifle and take a second follow up shot quickly and dropped the buck. Had that been a 7mm-08, 308, 6.5 etc, I doubt at 10 or 11 years old he would have been able to stay on the rifle, keep the deer in the scope, and bolt a second round. At that point, I realized that building this rifle was a perfect choice for a youth hunter lol.
I havent put my ARC together yet, but I ordered a couple ASC steel mags. I have no idea how well they will work but I have used ASC magazines in my 6.8 with no problems. I've also seen some forum posts where guys take a dremel tool and cut out a small channel or window in the front of the magazine to allow a little longer COAL.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Not really my cup of tea but, if I lived near the border I'm sure it
would be my go to.

A couple of my kids have shot several deer with an AR chambered in 6.5 grendel. I killed a doe last night with it also. Pretty impressive little round.