AR and SBR Recommendations

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I made a suggestion of Faxon.

But Iwas just letting the OP know that that imo the trouble associated with an SBR is not worth it.

My question is “worth it” for what? The OP didn’t state any particular use.

And that if some John Wick wanna be really wants to have a short platform in a rifle cartridge the AK is a better choice because you there is much more available short options without nfa.

AK’s suck to shoot. Objectively they are a heavy compromise in shooting performance. So if someone doesn’t want to SBR an AR, just get a pistol with a brace.

texag10

WKR
The majority of first timers are not trained and have not taken fire or taken human life. They are gonna ball up and freeze. They could be holding an SBR or a rolling pin and they probably wouldn't know the difference.
I've only drawn and had my finger on the trigger for a person (3 of them) once, but the only thing remarkable was how unremarkable it was in the moment. Clear shirt, acquire proper grip, draw, front sight on sternum, just like the myriad practice reps. The "oh crap" came after.

Your "less accurate" comment is interesting, how is a shorter barrel less accurate?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
All im saying is after the initial ohh aghh wears off you mite be like wtf that was a waste.

Sorry for trying to help out and keep you from possibly going through with some thing you mite think is a waste.
Is it terrible that someone has a different view point and thinks it mite be helpful to let you know?

Go do what ever you want.

This is why I never try to help on these forums.

If its not what you want to hear it terrible.

Yeah man its great.
Everything is great.

Hi point pistols are competition ready too.

Not one thing you have stated has been helpful. All you did was use fallacies about John Wick and CQB to say they suck.

If you wanted to share a different view- a “I don’t care for SBR’s, and you ought not either” is stating a different view. That’s not what you did. What you did was go on rants about John Wick, dudes pissing themselves , CQB, and a bunch of other things that have nothing to do with the subject.

Your arguments weren’t logical, let alone helpful. Maybe you meant them that way, but it came across as someone yelling at the clouds.

As for short barreled AR’s, your view is very much in the minority. I don’t know anyone that prefers a 14.5” barrel for just shooting and carrying to a 10.3”-11.5” barrel unless there is a specific task for it.

texag10

WKR
Well you definitely want it suppressed.
10.5 " un suppressed I would describe a violent.
12.5", and it is suppressed, which is why I went SBR in the first place. Nice and fast up close (usually .17-.19 splits inside of 10yds on a USPSA A-zone) and plenty capable at 400yds and beyond with an NX8 1-8 too. Great gun for protection anywhere you can have more than a pistol.

ThorM465

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My point is sbrs are over rated and a waste on all but the top 1 percent.
They are not worth the time and effort.
This is ignorant. I don't know how to say it any more politely. If you're defending your home with a rifle, it really needs to be suppressed. An 18" or 16" with a suppressor can become a broom stick. Cutting off 6" will make you more efficient moving through the fatal frontal.

It's the 1% that are capable of clearing a house with a full size rifle. The layman needs every advantage they can get and a suppressed SBR is an advantage.

While, I'm here someone mentioned that an SBR is less accurate. This is another ignorant fairy tale that needs to be squashed. A 10.5" SBR and an 18" AR with equal quality barrel, optics, trigger, etc will be equally as accurate at 200 yards. Now it will have more drop and wind drift the further out you go due to the decrease in muzzle velocity. There will be 0 noticeable difference inside of a structure.

FWIW, my home security system is a 12.5" Suppressed 5.56 AR15.

OP if you're going to buy 2 ARs, I'd recommend an 11.5"-12.5" 5.56 and an 18" 6.5 Grendel AR15. The Grendel is an excellent target round and is more than enough for medium game hunting.

I'm a big fan of Spike's Tactical and Bravo Company Manufacturing.I think they're the best bang for your buck, quality vs cost. Geisselle and Daniel Defense make incredible hardware. However, I'm not sure they're any better then the former. Other than the G triggers. I have G triggers in every one of my ARs, but then all but 1 of my ARs are self built.

For the OP:
There’s a lot of good reliable manufacturers out there. I’ve put a lot of rounds through Colts, LMTs, HK 416, and CMMG. All have shot well with barrel lengths from 10.5” to 14.5”. If I was doing an SBR today I think I’d still go the LMT route.

For a standard AR, I’d get a good 16” mid length upper from probably LaRue, or some Mk12 variant.

OP, regarding quality manufacturers, there are a lot of factors for what "good" is, but generally speaking you want maximum reliability first. After that, knowing your intended use will guide you more towards either durability or accuracy as your second highest priority.

Reliability generally comes down to how militant a manufacturer is in making sure their specs are followed, with QC gauging out well over a dozen specific items. Especially with ARs, this includes making sure the gas system is aligned properly, and sealed up properly, at places like the gas block and the gas key. There are a whole bunch of other factors that go into manufacturing a reliable AR, but all of these are key.

The lowest price AR I'd personally go with that meets these standards is Bravo Company Machine. Sons of Liberty Gun Works are religious in gauging and QC as well. FN's FN15 is a solid choice in the $1500ish range. Daniel Defense is a step up, and they arguably have some of the most durable barrels as well. You'd be well served by anything from those companies. LMT does have some baseline models below your budget, but most of their stuff is above $2500, and it's largely worth it. Blackout Defense is on the newer side, but they're making absolutely outstanding ARs. The top of the line for reliability and durability is probably Knights Armament. The latter two companies likely exceed your budget, but they're excellent.

One of the problems you run into with SBRs in 223/5.56 is that the pressure in the bore is spiking far closer to the gas port than either ARs or the ammo they run were designed for. This causes broken bolt lugs and extractors at relatively low round counts, made even worse by adding a suppressor. Most of these problems go away if you go with an SBR in .300 BLK, so that's an option you may consider putting some time into researching. You'll have to determine the balance of benefits for what you want to use your SBR for. BLK can allow you an even shorter barrel (7-9") and suppresses better, even with supersonic ammo, but may not be better at rural property distances, for example, than a 10.5" 5.56 would be.

One final thing I'll offer, is to not buy into the "just as good" mentality you'll hear from those choosing cheaper guns - your budget indicates you won't, but I want to make that point clear. It's not like every additional dollar you spend gets you an additional percentage point of performance - there's a point of diminishing returns that seems to kick in right around $1500-1800, where each extra dollar does get you more performance somewhere, but not as much as below that price point.

A 10.3 gun is lethal past 350m and will fully expand federal 62 fusion at sea level past that range.

10.3 plus a can should be the default answer unless you need certain capability that it does not provide, and the capability it provides is significant.

atmat

WKR
They won't have the cognitive ability to see a difference in there first home invasion defense…Especially there first time exchanging fire inside there home in the dark.
Your incoherent rambling seems to hinge on home defense use. Did he ever say he was buying it for home defense?

I’ve gone back through his posts twice and don’t see that he’s ever listed a use case.

Your incoherent rambling seems to hinge on home defense use. Did he ever say he was buying it for home defense?

I’ve gone back through his posts twice and don’t see that he’s ever listed a use case.
Cool, I don't care to participate in this conversation any more.