Aoudad meat/trophy in Texas question

aoudad

FNG
If I were starving I might eat some, but I aint starving........ Fun animals to kill, unfortunately they are over breeding and ruining the landscape.

cbeard64

WKR
They are analogous to hogs, as non-native varmints that are really nothing more than a pest. IMO the value they now have to landowners as a “poor man’s sheep” is not a positive thing.

As with big boar hogs, some folks take the meat but most don’t mess with it. I can’t say how it tastes, but I can deduce that it must not be very good since most don’t fool with it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are analogous to hogs, as non-native varmints that are really nothing more than a pest. IMO the value they now have to landowners as a “poor man’s sheep” is not a positive thing.

As with big boar hogs, some folks take the meat but most don’t mess with it. I can’t say how it tastes, but I can deduce that it must not be very good since most don’t fool with it.
Without wanton waste laws people would still be cutting off just an elk head and leaving behind everything else saying it's not worth the hassle.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
I just finished up a batch of smoked jalapeno cheese aoudad sausage. It’s absolutely fantastic. Yes, that meat is tough as old boot leather. My son ate a tenderloin and even it wore his face out chewing. But made into sausage, it’s excellent. This was from a December NM ram. I’m sure one shot in the rut would be more funky. Made some spicy breakfast sausage that was equally good too.

Attachments

• IMG_4718.jpeg
    IMG_4718.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 11