Anyone Using An Electric Bike?

I was interested in finding an electric bike that could take me farther back into the woods where gas is not permitted. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand or models?

dr.derek

FNG
Rambo bikes seem to be the "hunters electric bike" there are a lot of good options that other companies sell too though. Rad Power bikes in Seattle makes good stuff

brsnow

WKR
I am not sure they differentiate whether gas or electric. At least out west considered motorized if not 100% human powered from what I have seen. Where I mountain bike they have had to add extra signs and started writing tickets as people try to ignore the laws.

OP
T
Yes they do depends, public land there are places that don't allow gas. I guess they figure it will tear up the land too much and too many people will get back there. I think that is a good thing. Private land owner will let you hunt many don't want gas there either.

Poser

WKR
From what I’ve seen, be prepared to drop some serious cash and many of the boutique brands use proprietary components, which I suspect are often junk. Also, you have to read into the regs carefully to determine what the maximum power limits are that constitute an “e-bike”, which vary by state. From what I’ve seen around here, you’re largely limited to dirtbike trails, which, since few hunters use motorcycles, and quads aren’t going to be able to get up them, could be an advantage, BUT, you also need to be able to ride in order to ride dirtbike trails as they can be very, very burly.

Rich M

WKR
Do a walmart search for an Ebike kit. Can be relatively reasonable to add some electric power to a bike.

I'm nibbling, may take the plunge but only if I can determine if the part I'd putting on is waterproof.

OP
T
I am looking at a few bikes, kits could be something but battery power is important to me the more the better. Need enough to get in and out with gear. I think that most kits are junk and Rad bikes are not what I want, they are for light use. I do expect to pay a little but I want something that will last so I can get some good use out of it.

on national forest land, non motorized means no motors, doesn't matter wether internal combusition or not.
ie doesn't matter electric or fuel. Gated forest service roads that do not allow any wheeled motorized would not be legal but a normal bicycle would be legal.

this is in region 1 of the forest service. most are this way.

Rad Power bikes. Best bang for your buck if your looking for an entry level ebike. They are a hub drive which have their disadvantages over a mid drive but if your keeping your rides on roads or trails that are inbetween flat to 12% grade they should be sufficient enough. I’m very pleased with my Rover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about it, but like a number of other posters already pointed out - a lot of areas are prohibiting them. I have my brother's electric road bike on permanent loan and it is fun for riding around - it is quiet and certainly makes it easier and faster to ride. However, it is a lot heavier than my non-motorized bikes so just pedaling it without the electric assist isn't nearly as much fun. I would say (for me) it makes more sense for around town and commuting, but not really something I would get just for hunting.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Backcountry E-bikes are cool. I know a guy that runs all the different models and has good things to say. They fold in half for easy transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
I have been looking now for a while and found ION Electric Bikes. They have 2 models that I am interested in, the Trail Scout and the Dually dual motor. I've looked at mid drive motors and they are usually 250w which is not a lot of power and use a torque sensor, means you have to pedal to get power. The ION's have 750w and 1,000w and have a twist throttle so if you need extra power it's there. They also have 27 speeds so they can virtually go anywhere you can take a bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Axlrod

WKR
I have been looking now for a while and found ION Electric Bikes. They have 2 models that I am interested in, the Trail Scout and the Dually dual motor. I've looked at mid drive motors and they are usually 250w which is not a lot of power and use a torque sensor, means you have to pedal to get power. The ION's have 750w and 1,000w and have a twist throttle so if you need extra power it's there. They also have 27 speeds so they can virtually go anywhere you can take a bike. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Check out Luna cycle https://lunacycle.com/luna-fusion-fat-ebike-khs-3000/
1500w or you can upgrade to 2500w

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but check out the bafang mid drive kits off ebay. Bout $400 for the 750 watt kit. Luckily my GFs dad has built a bunch and showed me how to build the battery box and solder up all the connections. You can buy a factory batt though. My full suspension gary fisher weighs an honest 42lbs and will get right around 30 miles on flat pavement if you help it along. Awesome for quietly prowling forest roads (where motorized vehicles are allowed -before anyone gets triggered😒), and calling for turkeys. Awesome addition to my bag of tricks.

OP
T
Thanks Axlrod, I did check out Luna cycle. IMO they look like kit bikes to me with small batteries and you have to pay extra for the warranty. The ION comes with 3 year battery replacement warranty. Battery is 1.3 kilowatt 1,300AH

Last edited: