Anyone use an E-Bike

Monte312

FNG
I'm thinking of using an E bike in some situations around my home for public land hunting and some on the lease. what are some of the better name brands that will hold up and also not cost a kidney? What are you using and what accessories are a must have? Thanks

I'd look into a Rungu dualie. Pretty interesting ride that. Are you hunting in snow or really nasty terrain?

95huskers

FNG
I ended up going "cheap" and got a bike from BeeCool. I spray painted it to camo and used it all fall. I was actually very happy with it. I'm on pretty flat terrain most of the time though so cannot speak to its performance in hilly terrain.

The cheaper ones seem to be mostly rear hub mounted motors. The rear wheel takes the brunt of the shock from terrain and therefore these are accused of being less reliable.

Using a dedicated e bike frame and mounting the motor in the sprocket hub supposedly reduces the shock seen by the motor and prolongs the life/reliability. These are usually a factor of two or more expensive...

Obviously some exceptions but that's my takeaway from initial research when I considered a purchase.

I haven’t considered using mine for a hunting vehicle but that’s a darn good idea. They’re quiet and obviously scent is much better than a sxs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Dumb question, are bikes and/or ebikes acceptable for use in wilderness areas where motorized vehicles aren't allowed? Current method for most in those areas is horseback. Can't see how an ebike or any bike would be any less damaging to the environment than a horse. Not that any of them are all that bad regardless.

wapitibob

WKR
Dumb question, are bikes and/or ebikes acceptable for use in wilderness areas where motorized vehicles aren't allowed? Current method for most in those areas is horseback. Can't see how an ebike or any bike would be any less damaging to the environment than a horse. Not that any of them are all that bad regardless.

No, and not allowed on any forest trail/road that is non motorized. Other than that they would be a great choice.

Avid cyclist here and started out shunning them as lazy cheating bikes....until I bought one. They are a game changer both for fitness riding and hunting related uses. Here in ND it is so damn windy we don't bike much of the time. Now I can ride on windy days. I don't even turn it on going out with the wind and then just bump to low coming home to still get a workout but make it fun again and I am out there. Same scenario in hilly terrain, you can take rides or longer rides you maybe did not in the past. You can still get the same workout just with the fun factor back in it.
I pondered many brands and decided I wanted local service so spent a little more from my pro shops. I have a Specialized Vado urban bike at home and a Serial 1 (Harley Davidson) at my cabin and to take hunting. I check game cameras quietly and scent free. I plan to take antelope archery this year to glide in to the blind.
Look at the archives on ELECTREK site. It is all things electric with lots of bike reviews. There are a ton of choices now including quite a few fat tire bikes. They have an app also to follow daily stories.