Anyone Tried John Eberhart's Scent Control Methods?

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Scent control to me doesn't nor ever will work. But say it did, and if you follow johns methods to a T a mature buck could not wind you, that sounds like the most tedious thing ive ever heard of. The sport I love so much would turn into feeling like a job going through all that nonsense just to go hunting.
The Infalt way of being stanky, wearing whatever you want whenever you want and just going to the woods with a little bit of milkweed sounds so much more fun

TL616

FNG
I have not partly because it seems exhaustive /borderline OCD and I don’t have the time. However, anytime you’re working toward eliminating scent, it’s better than not.

Rick M.

WKR
In my opinion, one can’t and won’t fool a deer’s nose with expensive garments or “scent control” rituals. Only playing the wind can keep your scent from being detected. I believe John is an incredible hunter, and possibly an even better marketer / salesman.

Tried it, never worked. Didn’t have a van but could wake up, shower, and get dressed outside of house then hunt. Dogs always found me.

JE hunts high in trees, that’s what is working for him. And knowing how to hunt deer and be there at right times in general. His scent control is a correlation not causation. He’s an old fart who believes shit that has been proved untrue and won’t change his opinion. Maybe his scent blocker contracts won’t let him…

CIA had a long paper made public on scent. Was fascinating - they were experimenting with finding targets and hiding from dogs as a target. I can’t find it anymore sadly… TLDR: you cannot and will not beat a deer or any animal with good nose receptors nose. Not to mention the environment has a lot to do with how well scent lingers or dissipates.

I can’t get over how many people obsess over the is one item that has the least return on investment (all that work and you’ll still get scented). Learning and playing the wind is the way to go and planning hunt spots based on weather has been so much more productive for me that trying to keep my clothes in totes and always ‘scent free.’

I have started keeping cedar shavings in my totes on way to hunts - no idea if it works. But heh, in the end we are all suspectable to some practice we believe gives us an edge regardless if it works!

In my opinion, one can’t and won’t fool a deer’s nose with expensive garments or “scent control” rituals. Only playing the wind can keep your scent from being detected. I believe John is an incredible hunter, and possibly an even better marketer / salesman.
I wasn’t aware of this guy or his “method” I do something similar. I like to hunt very mature deer in heavy pressure areas. The better your method the better chance you have of killing 5yr old plus deer.

After reading his process I think he doesn’t go far enough in some areas and wastes too much time in others.

Like/agree:
-not eating or drinking anything with pungent smells…this is huge.
-his tote method…I’ve modified mine to have specific locations/areas I hunt per tote. I will take dried leaf matter and soil from each location and store them in the totes a month before I start hunting the area. Then dump out all materials before hunting…this helps cover the natural plastic leaching of the tote. The premise being deer can pick up specific ionized molecules and use this as part of their navigation (I know this is vudoo and call me crazy…but I can believe whatever I want!) and it doesn’t hurt haha
-wool base layers
-doesn’t believe in scent sprays over clothing because obviously the spray is not actively pursuing scent molecules haha
-several other parts of his process were right on and mostly it’s about having a process in the first place

Dislike/disagree:
-using scentlok gloves to grab things is silly…there will be molecules attaching to porous materials…using rubber gloves is better.
-washing clothes in “scentfree” detergent…it will still have a scent signature…just leave the clothes outside all season. Easier and more effective
-washing scentlok after 4 sits…they will have scent molecules and moisture on the clothing after hunt. Need to hang outside in the sun. Airs the clothing out and sun kills anything that remains.
-he loves scentlok and I think it’s a gimmick
-dressing in a vehicle is a terrible idea even in cold or public area…pick up way too many molecules still. Strip down to boxers no matter what. When it’s cold it’s even better cools you down for walk in
-never have clothing over rubber boots…can brush against grass
-also no mention of ground disturbance…walking in you have to walk outside boot first contact and roll boot to ground to minimize ground disturbance that deer can EASILY smell
-also no mention of the biggest scent producers…our mouth. I gargle with listerine at night and before I go in for a sit. Plus eating a couple apples during a dark to dark sit helps clean up the mouth and contain polyphenols to help prevent bad breath. Eating salad at night and ginger will help prevent dropping bad scent molecules from your mouth. I’m not sure if there is science behind it but anything green is supposed to help with bad breath…probably a wives tail.

I do all this BUT still pay very close attention to the wind…if he doesn’t pay attention to wind then this dude is just a blowhard hunter that only finds success by volume of time in the tree not skill.

Tried it, never worked. Didn’t have a van but could wake up, shower, and get dressed outside of house then hunt. Dogs always found me.

JE hunts high in trees, that’s what is working for him. And knowing how to hunt deer and be there at right times in general. His scent control is a correlation not causation. He’s an old fart who believes shit that has been proved untrue and won’t change his opinion. Maybe his scent blocker contracts won’t let him…

CIA had a long paper made public on scent. Was fascinating - they were experimenting with finding targets and hiding from dogs as a target. I can’t find it anymore sadly… TLDR: you cannot and will not beat a deer or any animal with good nose receptors nose. Not to mention the environment has a lot to do with how well scent lingers or dissipates.

I can’t get over how many people obsess over the is one item that has the least return on investment (all that work and you’ll still get scented). Learning and playing the wind is the way to go and planning hunt spots based on weather has been so much more productive for me that trying to keep my clothes in totes and always ‘scent free.’

I have started keeping cedar shavings in my totes on way to hunts - no idea if it works. But heh, in the end we are all suspectable to some practice we believe gives us an edge regardless if it works!
The difference between your dogs finding you and a whitetail not blowing out of an area right away after picking up a few scent molecules is significant. I wouldn’t give up on scent control just yet. The dogs are actively looking for you…the buck is just encountering a smell he doesn’t like during his everyday activities.

The whole point of “scent free” process is to lower your chance of being detected or giving you more time before you are detected. Not beat a deers nose…you are right they can smell in 4D haha.

But why not eliminate as many variables as possible? When hunting a buck that has been living for 6yrs on public ground you need to spend the extra time to give yourself an extra 2seconds because even that can make the difference between success and failure.

If scent free isn’t important would you sit up in your stand with a bag of fresh hair from a mountain lion or wolf? I would hope not. So you do have a scent free process…it’s somewhere between this guys method and not carrying around a bag of Timberwolf hair. Hahaha.

Last year I killed an 8yr old buck that was 12-24yds downwind of me for almost 5minutes. This year killed a 5yr old that was downwind of me from 35-13yds and there were 2 mature does downwind for 15min. Anecdotally the method works! Haha.

Next season I'm trying out a full body latex rubber suit with a full face respirator. If it works I'll call it gimp lock and I'll make a fortune.
Hahaha. Are you trying that suit out for hunting or just everyday wear?

The difference between your dogs finding you and a whitetail not blowing out of an area right away after picking up a few scent molecules is significant. I wouldn’t give up on scent control just yet. The dogs are actively looking for you…the buck is just encountering a smell he doesn’t like during his everyday activities.

The whole point of “scent free” process is to lower your chance of being detected or giving you more time before you are detected. Not beat a deers nose…you are right they can smell in 4D haha.

But why not eliminate as many variables as possible? When hunting a buck that has been living for 6yrs on public ground you need to spend the extra time to give yourself an extra 2seconds because even that can make the difference between success and failure.

If scent free isn’t important would you sit up in your stand with a bag of fresh hair from a mountain lion or wolf? I would hope not. So you do have a scent free process…it’s somewhere between this guys method and not carrying around a bag of Timberwolf hair. Hahaha.

Last year I killed an 8yr old buck that was 12-24yds downwind of me for almost 5minutes. This year killed a 5yr old that was downwind of me from 35-13yds and there were 2 mature does downwind for 15min. Anecdotally the method works! Haha.

I mean for me it is just too much work, so I give up lol. And I would counter argue a buck is looking for you. At least the older hunted ones are.

For your last example, were you on the ground or in the air? If the latter, air rises depending on time of day/wind and temp fluctuations. I don’t think many people realize how being in a tree is great for scent control. But it aounds like it help either way with scent not being on ground and blowing at deer from your path.

I mean for me it is just too much work, so I give up lol. And I would counter argue a buck is looking for you. At least the older hunted ones are.

For your last example, were you on the ground or in the air? If the latter, air rises depending on time of day/wind and temp fluctuations. I don’t think many people realize how being in a tree is great for scent control. But it aounds like it help either way with scent not being on ground and blowing at deer from your path.
Yeah it’s a lot of work but after a while it just becomes the way haha!

Yes in a tree. Ive usually got a couple trees marked in any area I’m hunting. Different heights or winds…even 50yds apart you can get different micro currents/thermal changes. Ive got trees that drift my scent 100yds before hitting the ground.

Milkweeding trees at different heights can teach you a bunch about what prevailing winds will work great for that tree/height combo. I really don’t like sitting higher than 20’ because of angle but some steep ridges call for it.

Yoder

WKR
When I'm not wearing Gimp lock (that's copyrighted) I just hunt the wind and watch how I access the area. I used to wear all the scent lock stuff, shower using special soap, toothpaste, spray everything, rubber boots, get dressed outside and never cared about the wind. I seen deer, but never that many. Now I wash all my hunting gear in regular laundry detergent, use Axe deodorant and wear leather boots. I scout way more and I've seen way more deer than ever. I even killed my biggest buck ever this year. Having those results, I don't see the need for scent control. Maybe if I used it I would see 10x more deer, I don't know.

Tim Box

FNG
First, please only comment if you've actually tried his methods in full. I already know all the typical responses: he's lying, he's lucky, he hunts high, it's impossible etc. Those are all valid opinions just not what I'm looking for.

I have plenty of doubts about the validity of his ideas on scent control, but the fact is he's killed a lot of nice bucks and swears he pays no attention to the wind. Makes me wonder...

So has anyone ever tried his methods (and I mean the entire thing mask, gloves, boots etc.) and what were your results?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Not familiar I'm googling it
I’m with most of you ozonics has been a game changer