Anyone regret buying a 280AI?/Max bullet weight question

Say what? Muzzle flip? From a 280AI? Those Xbolts come with a muzzle brake. 280AIs are extremely mild recoiling, I've got a Cooper 92 that doesn't weight 7lbs all in, and it doesn't kick at all. Where are you paying $5/ round for 280AI ammo? You're getting ripped off if you are. It's nowhere near that much ordering it from Unknown Munitions, and a heckuva lot more consistent than most factory ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t use the brake because I don’t hunt with it. I didn’t say it was intolerable, I can shoot it all day, but I’d probably been happier with a 7mm-08. The deer would have been just as dead.

Yep, ammo was $5+ for the last year up until a couple months ago. When I first bought it, the only place you could even buy ammo for it was Gunbroker. I generally shoot partitions and cheapest I’ve seen is $4 a round at Midway a few weeks back. But that’s recent development.

I bought one in an Xbolt HCS last year. Just had to have it, darling caliber and all. I like the rifle a lot and it is accurate but if I were buying another tomorrow, it would be something with less muzzle flip and cheaper ammo. That said, I don't reload. At $5 a round, I can't shoot it as much as I'd like. Prices are trending down though, so hopefully that will continue. I also strictly hunt whitetail, so there is that. I bought it for the soybeans fields but since I've gotten it I've about stopped hunting them. Funny how things work out.
You need a 25-06!

codybrown

FNG
I switched over this year to a 280ai for MI deer hunting. Worked up a load with 150 bergers and imr4350 at 2950. I load 120's in my wife's 7-08 and I want to give them a try this coming year.

No experience with the 280, but since there’s not much difference in velocity between it and my 7mm Rem Mag, I vote 162 ELDX. Great performance on deer and elk, near and far, just a shade under 3k muzzle velocity.

P

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
My grandfathers passdown - Win pre-64 FW. I started with this gun. Shot the barrel out and the found the stock cracked. I put a bartlein/McMillan on it and chambered in 280AI. Tack driver with 139gr LRX’s.
This is so cool. What a great way to honor your grandpa and keep using that rifle, especially in such an updated way. Is that the McMillan Pre64 stock? Did you get the metal Cerakoted? And how much does it weigh all up? Cheers and well done.

mms2

FNG
I have a 280ai I have shot 160gr partions, 160 accubonds, 168 bergers all with great performance.

I was considering trying the 155gr terminal ascent but have not yet.

my rifle is s a nosler m48 not a savage.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I reload for a savage Ultralite in 280 AI.

160 gr accubond
61.2 gr H4831
3.330 oal
BR2 primer
2810 fps
Very consistent velocity. .6ish 3 shot groups

The 155 terminal ascent factory loads were accurate and closer to 2900 fps.

The Nosler trophy grade 160 accubond were accurate but velocity was not consistent.

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
This is so cool. What a great way to honor your grandpa and keep using that rifle, especially in such an updated way. Is that the McMillan Pre64 stock? Did you get the metal Cerakoted? And how much does it weigh all up? Cheers and well done.
Yes on McMillan and cerakoted. Full custom with Marc Soulie at spartan precision. Weighs almost 10lbs with a bartlein I believe #3. Not the lightest, just wanted something solid to last a long time. Plan on giving it to my boy that got to spend a little time with my grandfather before he passed.

Umpquabuck

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a semi custom 280 AI built on a Tikka action, Benchmark #3 barrel w/ 1-8.5 twist, and a McMillan Sako Classic stock. I wanted to shoot 143 Hammers but the gun didn’t love them, it came alive w the 155’s though (.25”-.5” groups consistently at 2875). So far I’m very happy with it, no regrets at all and deer meat in the freezer!