Anyone in the Denver Area?

jam66

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a shotgun only deer area and found a slug gun I’ve been looking for. It’s at a Pawn shop in the Denver area. They won’t ship. Would anyone send it to my FFL if I cover costs?

Not sure if they will do that at all. I think the buyer has to pick up unless shipped to FFL.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you already purchased it? If so I’m not sure how to legally get it picked up from the pawnshop to be shipped. They definitely won’t allow an average joe to walk out with it.

OP
J

jam66

Lil-Rokslider
Person would have to legally buy it and then ship it to my FFL
Probably not worth the hassle..

The straw buy you are talking about is highly illegal. Unless you find a dealer willing to get it and sell it to you, the average person can not do it.

TxLite

WKR
The straw buy you are talking about is highly illegal. Unless you find a dealer willing to get it and sell it to you, the average person can not do it.
Would his ffl not run a 4473 when he picks it up? Or am I missing something that makes it illegal?

If a person buys a firearm for someone else it’s an illegal purchase. They ask the question on the paperwork. An FFL can buy then transfer the firearm just not a normal citizen.

OP
J

jam66

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not asking someone to Just send me a firearm. It would be sent to my FFL where a 4473 would be done on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would his ffl not run a 4473 when he picks it up? Or am I missing something that makes it illegal?

From my understanding I agree. It would be like somebody buying a gun then doing an FFL sale to a private party which is legal in Colorado. I won a shotgun from Remington once and shipped the old one to my brother. I took it to a gun shop and they shipped it to a local FFL gun store in WA and my brother did the background check when he picked it up just like if he was buying a new gun.

TxLite

WKR
If a person buys a firearm for someone else it’s an illegal purchase. They ask the question on the paperwork. An FFL can buy then transfer the firearm just not a normal citizen.
No it’s not. People purchase guns as gifts every day which is completely legal. I’m no lawyer but the ATF defines a draw purchase as buying a gun for someone that cannot legally own it. If it’s going to be sent to his FFL and the appropriate paperwork/background check is being done to ensure he can legally own it then I don’t see the issue.

Edit to add- people buy and sell guns constantly. If the Denver buyer decides he can purchase it to make money on it, then sells it to OP, then it would be just like any other gun sale. All of this is assuming state laws are being followed

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d call the pawn shop, tell them you’ll give them an extra 100 to ship plus cost of shipping it to your FFL, explain the process and send your FFL paperwork.

By the time you have someone buy it, ship it, etc you’ll be in it the same as offering the pawn shop some extra dough.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
He asked about shipping to an FFL. (Not illegal, exactly what I'd do if I sold a firearm online, including here, the FFL would receive it and wouldn't transfer it until forms were completed and background check was completed)

For me to pick it up, I'd have to pay for it and complete a background check. Then I'd have to package it and ship it. Nothing special there, except my responsibility would include verifying that it's going to an FFL, (https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/FFLEzCheck/).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I’d call the pawn shop, tell them you’ll give them an extra 100 to ship plus cost of shipping it to your FFL, explain the process and send your FFL paperwork.

By the time you have someone buy it, ship it, etc you’ll be in it the same as offering the pawn shop some extra dough.
This. Pawn shop probably doesn't have a box for the shotgun. A cheap hard case and a trip to UPS still adds cost, hassle.

They're likely an FFL at the Pawn shop... They know the rules, just don't want the headache, but $ could convince them.

Is it worth it though? For a slug gun? For the same cost, or less, making a cylinder bore a slug gun with some sights could be a thing...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
J

jam66

Lil-Rokslider
Moot point now, firearm was sold. Not asking for a direct shipment but to an FFL for legal transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk