Anyone have recommendations for a location for Ocellated Turkey hunt?

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Like the title says... just looking for someone that's been able to chase these birds to let me know if they have a reputable outfitter they recommend. Thank you.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Yukkutz Hunting. They run a really good outfit and seem to be the best in the business. I did a lot of research and was quite happy with my hunt.

I shot two nice birds but it is certainly not a typical turkey hunt but it was fun as hell.

My wife and I also stayed in the City of Campeche after hunting and the "Old Town" area was super cool and we really enjoyed it.

We rented a car in Merida, drove the the hunting lodge and then went to Campeche after I was done hunting.

Great trip.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Yukkutz Hunting. They run a really good outfit and seem to be the best in the business. I did a lot of research and was quite happy with my hunt.

I shot two nice birds but it is certainly not a typical turkey hunt but it was fun as hell.

My wife and I also stayed in the City of Campeche after hunting and the "Old Town" area was super cool and we really enjoyed it.

We rented a car in Merida, drove the the hunting lodge and then went to Campeche after I was done hunting.

Great trip.
Thank you man! Sounds great. I'll look it up! Cheers

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider

Great trip.

Following.

What do you mean "not your typical turkey hunt"?

I too have kicked around and Oscellated turkey hunt. They look spectacular!

Could you describe the hunt? Flight, customs outfit cost, weather/expectations? I assume you had to rent a gun? I'd love to shoot 2 and do a fan mount and then a full body mount. Can you bring them back to the US for mounting?

Wheels

WKR
I have a buddy that went on both an ocellated and goulds hunt last year in Mexico. Pretty sure he said they shot the ocellated birds out of the trees. Pretty birds though.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

What do you mean "not your typical turkey hunt"?

I too have kicked around and Oscellated turkey hunt. They look spectacular!

Could you describe the hunt? Flight, customs outfit cost, weather/expectations? I assume you had to rent a gun? I'd love to shoot 2 and do a fan mount and then a full body mount. Can you bring them back to the US for mounting?
By saying it is not your typical turkey hunt I meant you are not really calling in the birds. I've heard they respond a little bit later in the season (like right now for example) but it is more sitting in a blind waiting for an ambush type hunt. For reference I went at the end of January when I went.

In the area we hunted, we basically waited for the birds to come out of thick stuff to feed.

It is pretty difficult to tell the hens from the Tom's so being able to observe them closely before shooting is pretty key, especially when my Spanish is not great, and the guide's English is worse!

We were hunting over agriculture fields and they had obviously done some good advance scouting.

I shot two birds in a morning and afternoon hunt and most guys got their birds fairly quickly although one guy did take a few full days of hunting before he got his.

It's a very fun hunt in a cool place but I think it's important to understand what the hunt is like and adjust your expectations accordingly. They are an amazingly beautiful bird and just stunning to see.

I'd say it is more of collection style of hunt but I still enjoyed he hell out of it.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
They charge twice what an expellant hunt in WY costs. I guess people pay $3000 for a hybrid occeola/eastern. I cant do that so I keep trying and failing to get a quota hunt

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone been able to get them back to the US for mounting? Wondering how customs went?