Anyone Have Any Useful Tips?

Archery Hunting Black Bear this year with no bait. I'm not allowed to bait, so, does anyone have any useful information that could help me? This is my first time going after Bear with a bow.

325 wsm

FNG
predator call … I use a fawn in distress… works great when they dont know your there and even sometimes when they do. Last hour of light usually produces the biggest bears. if you state your location people will be better able to help you.

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
is this spring or fall bear? if its fall I would try concentrating your efforts near large stands of oaks that are dropping their mast crop. Seeing as how you are in west virginia finding stands of oaks should not be a problem.

OP
Z
is this spring or fall bear? if its fall I would try concentrating your efforts near large stands of oaks that are dropping their mast crop. Seeing as how you are in west virginia finding stands of oaks should not be a problem.

This will be a fall hunt. I know a few acorn spots, thank you!

I'd venture to guess its going to be pretty dang tough. I'd recommend talking to people from the area that have had success on bears, they will be able to help you out. Good luck!

Start looking before the acorns start falling. The bears will start climbing the whiteoaks and redoaks in August. They will break limbs to get to the acorns. You will need to get binoculars and look into the canopy before then and see acorns too. When you find a spot you will know it. It will look like a tornado came through with him breaking branches. The acorns could be a different elevations too. It is better to hunt the bears before the acorns start dropping too. It will also be better is it is not a bumper crop this year. Remember that the whiteoaks take two years to grow so the weather to springs ago will be a determining factor if there are acorns.

Trial153

WKR
Here in NY there is no baiting either. We are lucky that in the Catskills we have a decent density however it's no where near high.
Topographic features aren't as reliable for bear as they are for deer, because ...the basically just go where ever the hell they want in the mountains.
What I have found reliable is food sources, particularly soft mass and beech, not to mention that they come down and hammer a corn field at the base of a mountain.

Bar

Banned
You have 3 options, and it's the same for me in Colorado.

Glass, and stalk.

Still hunt into natural foods. (my favorite)

Call. This is the most exciting way. You'll understand when a big boar comes charging in looking for an easy kill.